Telepsychiatry Non Compete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but the way they handle negotiations feels shady,
I wish, if I could talk to my younger self, I listened to this flag. Don't ignore these counter transference feelings towards the negotiation employment work up.

My practice is still in the lower volume growth phase and I'm at about 40% overhead, and things progress I might be able to get it to 20% once more full in years to come.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I appreciate the discussion in here, as someone who's still torn between employed vs self-starting once I graduate.

Just wanted to weigh in that I've spoken with two small (2 and 4 docs, respectively) physician-owned private practices in recent months. One wanted to keep 60% (!) of payments and the other (cash + a few private insurers) wanted 40%. Both practices had a limited number of support staff.
I mean certainly some places exist offering bad splits that one would have be to be crazy to take. It does not mean that's the norm. 15-25% if it includes office space, emr/eprescribe, and part of the secretary time is the norm around me. I had two offers in that range in the past year.

That’s nice for your region. I have looked pretty thoroughly and nobody is offering a split that favorable here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean certainly some places exist offering bad splits that one would have be to be crazy to take. It does not mean that's the norm. 15-25% if it includes office space, emr/eprescribe, and part of the secretary time is the norm around me. I had two offers in that range in the past year.
That’s nice for your region. I have looked pretty thoroughly and nobody is offering a split that favorable here.

Depends on if it's a W2 vs 1099 job too. I would say it's pretty unusual for W2 jobs to have that nice of a split I've seen as well but more common for 1099/contractor positions. 80/20 isn't unheard of for 1099 positions because you get less from the contracted place (you technically aren't an employee so don't have any employee protections in terms of hiring/firing, have no employee benefits generally, not on "payroll" really so that's not a big expense, they don't contribute any taxes for you, etc).

Depends on if it's a W2 vs 1099 job too. I would say it's pretty unusual for W2 jobs to have that nice of a split I've seen as well but more common for 1099/contractor positions. 80/20 isn't unheard of for 1099 positions because you get less from the contracted place (you technically aren't an employee so don't have any employee protections in terms of hiring/firing, have no employee benefits generally, not on "payroll" really so that's not a big expense, they don't contribute any taxes for you, etc).
That's fair, I am definitely talking about 1099 work. As a doc joining a practice for office space/some colleagues/sharing a secretary/EMR I don't see the appeal of being a W2. 1099 has all the deduction benefits and better sets you up to branch out independently if/when the time is right for that. Would definitely not rather lose out on 10%+ of the cut to be a W2.