Telepsychiatry gigs in 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yale Medicine

I analyze markets
Reaction score
What's a reasonable rate for 100% telepsychiatry jobs these days and workload? I've looked at Cerebral, Talkiatry, Iris and one other that covers mostly ED work. Seems like $150 to $200 / hr is what's floating around, some offer benefits if full-time. They seem to keep you busy. I know this has been brought up in the past but couldn't find a recent thread to reflect current offers.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me or do others feel a virtual position should be paid at the same rate as on-site work? I recently had an employer offer me the option for telework in an effort to entice me to consider a lower salary. I declined.

Reactions: 6 users
Is it just me or do others feel a virtual position should be paid at the same rate as on-site work? I recently had an employer offer me the option for telework in an effort to entice me to consider a lower salary. I declined.
It should. You lose your value if your not in person. I do a hybrid position and the providers that have tried to do all remote get replaced by cheaper nps etc since you can be out of state and admin all about saving money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's a reasonable rate for 100% telepsychiatry jobs these days and workload? I've looked at Cerebral, Talkiatry, Iris and one other that covers mostly ED work. Seems like $150 to $200 / hr is what's floating around, some offer benefits if full-time. They seem to keep you busy. I know this has been brought up in the past but couldn't find a recent thread to reflect current offers.
$150-200/hour is the range I'm getting on Linkedin. Hours flexible and can be part-time or overtime if you want.

I did see a full-time corrections telepsych gig for $250/hour and one company offering $400/hour for 40 hours ($800k/year) though that job seemed super sketchy with high volume expectation.

Personally I'm planning to take an inpatient job at my residency program where I can be consistently done by 1-2 PM then just do telepsych in my work office part-time for another 20 hours per week to boost my income by an extra 150-200k. Should put me around 500k/year total and I'll have both W2 benefits and 1099 tax savings while working 40-45 hours/week with no weekends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
$150-200/hour is the range I'm getting on Linkedin. Hours flexible and can be part-time or overtime if you want.

I did see a full-time corrections telepsych gig for $250/hour and one company offering $400/hour for 40 hours ($800k/year) though that job seemed super sketchy with high volume expectation.

Personally I'm planning to take an inpatient job at my residency program where I can be consistently done by 1-2 PM then just do telepsych in my work office part-time for another 20 hours per week to boost my income by an extra 150-200k. Should put me around 500k/year total and I'll have both W2 benefits and 1099 tax savings while working 40-45 hours/week with no weekends.

So your inpatient opportunity would pay around $300K? I didn't think academic places paid that much for inpatient psych, more like private hospitals...?

Reactions: 1 users
So your inpatient opportunity would pay around $300K? I didn't think academic places paid that much for inpatient psych, more like private hospitals...?
I'm at a community program in an underserved area. Inpatient attendings here make 350k with no weekends. The weekend rounders (2 guys who split the weekends) make 8k per weekend to cover our whole census. Supply and demand at play here

Reactions: 5 users
I'm at a community program in an underserved area. Inpatient attendings here make 350k with no weekends. The weekend rounders (2 guys who split the weekends) make 8k per weekend to cover our whole census. Supply and demand at play here
Nice. How many patients per weekend doc? consults? ED? or just unit.

What's the overnight call situation for that 350K inpatient gig?

I found an inpatient gig paying $300K no weekends no overnights, just be available by phone until 5pm. Can arrive any time in the AM like 10am is fine. 12 to 14 patients daily.

Reactions: 2 users
What's the overnight call situation for that 350K inpatient gig?

I found an inpatient gig paying $300K no weekends no overnights, just be available by phone until 5pm. Can arrive any time in the AM like 10am is fine. 12 to 14 patients daily.
overnight call is split between 4 inpatient attendings. nurses call like once a month so makes almost no difference

that sounds like a good gig. if you show up at 8 AM could be done by early afternoon in time for another gig.

overnight call is split between 4 inpatient attendings. nurses call like once a month so makes almost no difference

that sounds like a good gig. if you show up at 8 AM could be done by early afternoon in time for another gig.

thanks! appreciate it. I couldn't quite tell. It sounds like a good gig but wanted some perspective. The other docs working there wrap up by noon, arrive around 8 or 9am.

Yep, for sure you could add another gig after. Or just take the rest of the day off and go to the beach or park or go sailing or whatever you fancy. Not a bad life.

thanks! appreciate it. I couldn't quite tell. It sounds like a good gig but wanted some perspective. The other docs working there wrap up by noon, arrive around 8 or 9am.

Yep, for sure you could add another gig after. Or just take the rest of the day off and go to the beach or park or go sailing or whatever you fancy. Not a bad life.
I think the easiest 2nd gig would be telepsych afternoons. I'm talking to a recruiter from a company offering $185/hour that would allow me to work from 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM from M-F. They're in a different time zone so I need to get licensed in another state also.

Would add a solid 175k to my pre-tax (with 4 weeks of PTO still) and put me quite a bit ahead post-tax thanks to 1099 tax savings discussed on my other thread. I find that to be a nice work-life balance; personally I'm getting restless/bored from my PGY-4 20 hour weeks :giggle:

Last edited:
I think the easiest 2nd gig would be telepsych afternoons. I'm talking to a recruiter from a company offering $185/hour that would allow me to work from 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM from M-F. They're in a different time zone so I need to get licensed in another state also.

Would add a solid 175k to my pre-tax (with 4 weeks of PTO still) and put me quite a bit ahead post-tax thanks to 1099 tax savings discussed on my other thread. I find that to be a nice work-life balance; personally I'm getting restless/bored from my PGY-4 20 hour weeks :giggle:
Might make sense to find a group to work for. I did this and get a split of billings. I end up closer to 300/hr this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might make sense to find a group to work for. I did this and get a split of billings. I end up closer to 300/hr this way.
Do you get benefits like insurance and PTO though? Because the combined benefits of my W2 inpatient job are easily worth 50k+/year. And at 520k/year for 40 hours/week with 4 weeks PTO I'd be fairly close to 300/hour already with good day-to-day variety and stability.

Last edited:
Do you get benefits like insurance and PTO though? Because the combined benefits of my W2 inpatient job are easily worth 50k+/year. And at 520k/year for 40 hours/week with 4 weeks PTO I'd be fairly close to 300/hour already with good day-to-day variety and stability.
I dont get benefits. I have a spouse with benefits so I don't need them either. As a residency moonlighting gig this was perfect. Once I'm out, I'm definitely going private practice to further maximize income.

I don't get why Hims needs us. Any family medicine practitioner should be able to follow their algorithm....they offer a grand total of 9 meds.

• Haha
Talkiatry’s advertised salary and the realistic production are not the same from what I have heard. Some through gossip in FB groups, but confirmed by some colleagues working there.

Which company if you don't mind me asking would let you set up the 4 hours a week? This sounds a lot more doable and would give me my weekends back!

Which company if you don't mind me asking would let you set up the 4 hours a week? This sounds a lot more doable and would give me my weekends back!
Sorry, I don't feel comfortable publicly listing it here as it's a small company. And it's 20 hours/week (4 hours daily), just to clarify, which most of the telepsych recruiters I've spoken to are OK with. Only one place demanded minimum 40 hours/week.

The other user posted a flier for Hims and Hers telepsych which seems to offer flexible scheduling, no minimum hours and up to $300/hour which is much higher than the job I'm looking at.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't feel comfortable publicly listing it here as it's a small company. And it's 20 hours/week (4 hours daily), just to clarify, which most of the telepsych recruiters I've spoken to are OK with. Only one place demanded minimum 40 hours/week.

The other user posted a flier for Hims and Hers telepsych which seems to offer flexible scheduling, no minimum hours and up to $300/hour which is much higher than the job I'm looking at.

Sure probably 300 bucks an hour if you review 10 patient's questionnaires and prescribe them all SSRIs every hour. It's the "up to" that really gets ya there.

Reactions: 7 users

Hi there, wondering if you are well adjusted to your new position with doing inpatient + telehealth. Has that been going as you planned or has there been more challenges / difficulties beyond your expectation (I.e. faculty/nursing being passive aggressive and making you feel uncomfortable leaving early, emergencies on the unit interrupting your tele schedule, tele not being able to find patients that fit into your schedules, etc) ? I’m just curious as to how realistic it is to work such schedule for a fairly long career. Thank you.

Sounds like it could be Vituity.

Yes I interviewed for a job with them last yr. Despite they name they aren't a telepsych company though they may have some virtual gigs. They basically have contracts with different counties to provide services.
Did you walk away with a decent impression of them?

Anesthesia here. Wife is CAP.

Is anyone aware of any telepyschiatry gigs that are 5013c?

Thanks!

Just got off the phone with Amwell:
$175 for 45 min intake
$60 for 15 min follow-ups. No possibility for 30 min follow-ups.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
$175 for 45 min intake
Renaming to betteralreadybewelll if they are expecting that model to work.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Waste of time. The middle men make the real money and you do all the work and risk your license. Less than optimal experience with Hims & Hers too. The pay turned out to be about $100/hour but the problem is they have hired so many doctors (NPs , Family med, Internal med) who all fancy themselves as psychiatrists . This has resulted in a struggle to get patients. There are many times when there are no patients and you dont make anything if you dont do consults (but you still waste your limited precious time by logging in and checking without any compensation).

Renaming to betteralreadybewelll if they are expecting that model to work.
Yeah, seems like a pretty bad gig. I ended the conversation with the recruiter after hearing the follow-up times and rates.

Waste of time. The middle men make the real money and you do all the work and risk your license. Less than optimal experience with Hims & Hers too. The pay turned out to be about $100/hour but the problem is they have hired so many doctors (NPs , Family med, Internal med) who all fancy themselves as psychiatrists . This has resulted in a struggle to get patients. There are many times when there are no patients and you dont make anything if you dont do consults (but you still waste your limited precious time by logging in and checking without any compensation).

lol why even bother? you can basically prescribe a handful of SSRIs/SNRIs and wellbutrin with them. Listen if all you want is to send a text saying you're depressed and a 5 minute visit and an SSRI, that's in no way shape or form worth my time or experience.

You get better? You probably didn't need me in the first place. You don't get better? You're gonna be coming to see us eventually anyway.

Is there anything good out there regarding tele Psych? Next year I will have to get a tele Psych gig. I cannot work in the state I live in, so it has to be tele Psych, VA or locums. VA here is horrible and wife does not want me away to do locums.

This would be a 1-2y thing until I am able to get my license and open my private practice. Any ideas? It will be in 2025 so I have some time to figure it out.

I'm confused. When you telework for the VA, it could be for anywhere in the country plus some territories and the Philippines. It's not ALL horrible and it doesn't matter much how your local VA functions. You likely wouldn't be hired by your local VA.

I'm confused. When you telework for the VA, it could be for anywhere in the country plus some territories and the Philippines. It's not ALL horrible and it doesn't matter much how your local VA functions. You likely wouldn't be hired by your local VA.

Oh, I meant telepath or the VA, tbh I never thought about doing yeleosych AT the VA. My local VAs are horrible, and because of that I would likely try to avoid the VA, even if tele.

I'm still confused. The VA is not quite the monolithic organization it appears. If you were hired by the VA for a 100% telepsych job, your local VA would only be responsible for printing your ID badge, completing your onboarding physical and distributing your VA laptop and iPhone. Beyond that, your responsibility would be to the VA that hired you. As impressive as it would be, you don't start your day as a VA psychiatrist seeing a patient in Washington state and end it seeing patients in Delaware. You're seeing all patients located in a single geographic area, regardless of where you are located. So...the VA that actually hires you matters a lot, as opposed to the VA you live closest to which matters very little. Of course there are exceptions for HIGHLY specialized things, but the chance of being hired directly into one of those sort of national positions from the civilian world is unlikely. That's more something you might work up into as you get more experience with the VA and then still very rare.

I'm still confused. The VA is not quite the monolithic organization it appears. If you were hired by the VA for a 100% telepsych job, your local VA would only be responsible for printing your ID badge, completing your onboarding physical and distributing your VA laptop and iPhone. Beyond that, your responsibility would be to the VA that hired you. As impressive as it would be, you don't start your day as a VA psychiatrist seeing a patient in Washington state and end it seeing patients in Delaware. You're seeing all patients located in a single geographic area, regardless of where you are located. So...the VA that actually hires you matters a lot, as opposed to the VA you live closest to which matters very little. Of course there are exceptions for HIGHLY specialized things, but the chance of being hired directly into one of those sort of national positions from the civilian world is unlikely. That's more something you might work up into as you get more experience with the VA and then still very rare.

That's good to know. I guess I'm just concerned with the VA because they seem to have an infinite amount of rules and odd requirements that are created every month, but I am not sure if these are my local VAs or it is the same everywhere. Here, for example, people have to do telepsych at the VA. So it's kinda pointless.

Telehealth at the VA can be a great role! You can provide good care with the backup of a well-resourced system. The problem is, at least as of several years back, many people around the country would apply for posted tele roles but most VA systems wanted in-person providers, potentially with flexibility for some tele work. Few people sought these in-person roles. It thus might be harder to get a tele-only VA job, but this might have changed as we move further from the pandemic days.

Yeah 100% virtual at the VA is amazing which is why I found the poster's comments so weird. But yes, indeed, these are coveted jobs and highly competitive relative to in person or partially in person positions. That doesn't mean the poster can't get one of course, they may just have to apply to a few.

I've never worked at the VA, I don't rotate there, but I see all my co residents complaining about it the no one in my program wants to work there. Seems like there's a huge miss match between what I see here and what SDN folks experience at their VA. Thanks for the info tho, it's good to know that some people like it.

I've never worked at the VA, I don't rotate there, but I see all my co residents complaining about it the no one in my program wants to work there. Seems like there's a huge miss match between what I see here and what SDN folks experience at their VA. Thanks for the info tho, it's good to know that some people like it.
I trained at a much maligned VA with very high rates of SUD, personality pathology, agent orange exposure, etc. I still found amazing attendings who had incredible medical skill (in C/L) and how to deal with tough ish in life skill (ED/walk in clinic). Certainly had my share of people threatening to kill me, and on one instance wait outside to rape me and then find my family and rape them. I still think this exposure was good for my personal development as a psychiatrist, but I can see how someone would disagree with this. A person's experience could be different based on their height, weight, muscle mass, perceived ethnicity, and perceived gender.

As a more experienced attending, my wife is seriously considering a shift to VA work due to the much more relaxed call and some ease of use (e.g. all on 1 formulary, can refer out complicated surgeries).

All this to say if you've seen 1 VA, you have seen 1 VA, there are lots of strengths and weaknesses to the VA but anyone telling you it is some monolithic entity is no different than someone telling you that one specific medication or treatment modality is the cure-all.

$175 for 45 min intake
I don't know much about the outpatient side of this company, but I advise caution. I worked briefly with them for the inpatient telerounding, and I left due to multiple concerns.

Is it negotiable? That's slightly better than DoD/Included Health rates.

I don't know much about the outpatient side of this company, but I advise caution. I worked briefly with them for the inpatient telerounding, and I left due to multiple concerns.

Is it negotiable? That's slightly better than DoD/Included Health rates.
I don't think anyone is seriously taking $240/hour in the "best" case scenario of seeing 4 pts/hour. They are clearly not trying to attract psychiatrists with other job prospects with that type of pay structure.

Yeah 100% virtual at the VA is amazing which is why I found the poster's comments so weird. But yes, indeed, these are coveted jobs and highly competitive relative to in person or partially in person positions. That doesn't mean the poster can't get one of course, they may just have to apply to a few.
Curious about what current policy in terms of required documentation is. When I was in my outpatient year my VA supervisor was telehealth only and while he also said he loved it, he regularly complained to me about how he was 60+ minutes behind and/or had to skip lunch for the day due to requirements to fill out C-SSRS and CSREs on multiple outpatients per day that ate up his time. At the time those forms were a national policy and having to do them myself was a huge turn off to any kind of outpatient work through the VA for me.

Curious about what current policy in terms of required documentation is. When I was in my outpatient year my VA supervisor was telehealth only and while he also said he loved it, he regularly complained to me about how he was 60+ minutes behind and/or had to skip lunch for the day due to requirements to fill out C-SSRS and CSREs on multiple outpatients per day that ate up his time. At the time those forms were a national policy and having to do them myself was a huge turn off to any kind of outpatient work through the VA for me.
I have 1 day virtual outpatient at the VA right now as a resident and Columbia's are required for every new patient and then annually thereafter, but that's true for in person too. The only annoying thing for me specific to telehealth is the virtual video visit header requiring verification of their physical location and emergency contact information for every note should they get disconnected and there's a possible emergency but it's like an extra minute.