TBR Gen Chem is HARD? Should I hold off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supastudier2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never did any gen chem review and I started to work through the TBR book. The first Chapter was on stoichiometry. I'll be honest. The content review section was not that bad, but then the review questions absolutely wrecked me. They were bringing in topic from physics and topics about phase changes, They didn't even cover those topics in the content review section! The last time I took Chem was AP chem in highschool. I am definitely rusty. I've heard that the Kaplan books are "okay" of chem. and that the TBR are GOLDEN for chem practice questions. Should I work through the Kaplan book first before working through the passages in TBR? Or should I just Power through and google every single mistake i make and learn that way? I dont want to "waste" these precious passages though...

Also... Should I also use Kaplan Physics before starting TBR physics? I havent taken the second semester of physics 2 yet

Members don't see this ad.

The TBR books are rough at first, because while Phase 1 homework sets are based on the corresponding chapter, Phase 2 and Phase 3 introduce material from other sections. Initially, it is daunting and unnerving, because you haven't reviewed that material. Later on, you'll appreciate it as a tool for revisiting material you did back at the start of your review. MCAT passages encompass multiple topics (and disciplines in many cases), so mixing topics in homework sets is a great tool for preparing. It just sucks to get beat up on homework, but if you can deal with the emotional gut punch, you can learn so much going over the questions. BTW, the math is intense in the first chapters, but it gets much better once you hit the second chapter.

Reactions: 1 user
The TBR books are rough at first, because while Phase 1 homework sets are based on the corresponding chapter, Phase 2 and Phase 3 introduce material from other sections. Initially, it is daunting and unnerving, because you haven't reviewed that material. Later on, you'll appreciate it as a tool for revisiting material you did back at the start of your review. MCAT passages encompass multiple topics (and disciplines in many cases), so mixing topics in homework sets is a great tool for preparing. It just sucks to get beat up on homework, but if you can deal with the emotional gut punch, you can learn so much going over the questions. BTW, the math is intense in the first chapters, but it gets much better once you hit the second chapter.
Hi this is a slightly unique position that I find myself in... but I could use your help. I am using TBR physical science books ( Gen chem, physics). My MCAT is on July 31st and I plan to start my AAMC material starting June 30th (30 days out). I have originally done gen chem, physics content review with TBR, and completed mostly all phase 1 Q's a few months ago.
- However, with COVID cancelling all my MCATs in my region, I took a break and am planning on restarting my physical sciences review from today. I have just finished my Bio, biochem review btw.

My plan is to basically read my notes from each corresponding gen chem, physics chapter (I have a very vague idea of each topic since it's been a while, but reading them once should suffice for me to tackle the Q's ). I am planning on doing one chapter from each of the two books daily. I know I am asking a lot from you but could you please guide me on how I should tackle my Phase 1, 2,3 from here?
- For example say I do phase 1 of equilibrium and phase 1 of Work tomorrow, when should I tackle Phase two of each of these topics again? Phase 3? I would ideally love to try to finish all in around 2 weeks. @BerkReviewTeach

Last edited:
For C/P there is nothing better than what you are doing. I found some of the passages hard, but you shouldn't care about the scores. Learn everything you can form their explanations. That is where you get better. I have taken the MCAT twice and C/P was 132 both times. I am 100% convinced it's because I read and took notes on literally every explanation in the chemistry and physics books. Learn their tricks!!! They will prove to be super helpful come test day.