Talkiatry review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Talkiatry? I've reviewed previous forums and not much is out there. Based on those forums, it seems base is 150k with incentives (supposedly most docs make 330-360K). I wanted to see if anyone had any other information or other telepsych companies they'd recommend.

Members don't see this ad.

I would never recommend any job that holds half your income behind "performance" metrics that the company controls. You don't control how many patients they schedule for you. Why should they hold the right to cut your pay in half on a whim?

TimelyCare is nice, but they only want 8-12 hours per week from their psychiatrists. It's good if you were otherwise offering services to college students on a sliding scale or something. They pay $200 for intakes, which are really sort of urgent care type problems (e.g. I'm a grad student from Iran and I can't go back to see my psychiatrist. I'm stable, can you please give me a refill?), because the app itself limits the intensity of the patients so you know they're all stable enough, otherwise they would be seen in person. The follow-ups are $125. They pay $100 for no-shows, which is nice.

Again, I'd really only recommend TimelyCare for people who only want a small gig like that.

Otherwise, it's not that hard to set up a tele-solo practice yourself. Idk that there is much value in letting corporate middlemen get between you, the patient, and the money.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember people saying they have a truly insane noncompete that was like you couldn’t do any telepsych anywhere in the country for a year after leaving…wasn’t there a thread on this a while back?

Reactions: 5 users
I considered it and have some friends that do it. The compensation is tied to productivity. The estimated pay is good,though to get that you have to have 36 patient hours billing e/m + med mgt. You'd make much more doing the same thing in private practice, so it's more for ppl who can't or don't want to do private practice and want a high paying, work from home job. Ppl compare it to private practice, but you have none of the control of your schedule/patients you'd get on your own. You do get benefits, patient coverage, asmin support, and none of the risks of PP.

Your user name is awesome lol
I considered it and have some friends that do it. The compensation is tied to productivity. The estimated pay is good,though to get that you have to have 36 patient hours billing e/m + med mgt. You'd make much more doing the same thing in private practice, so it's more for ppl who can't or don't want to do private practice and want a high paying, work from home job. Ppl compare it to private practice, but you have none of the control of your schedule/patients you'd get on your own. You do get benefits, patient coverage, asmin support, and none of the risks of PP.

They are bombarding me with daily emails. I did speak with a "recruiter" with a aggressive New York accent and attitude who seemed very pushy, bragging that newly minted psychiatrists had their schedule full within months and were making $400K+. It almost sounded like I would become a slave to their metrics and didnt leave a good taste in my mouth. Also didnt go for it because I love my freedom and there are way too many parasites who insert themselves between you and your patient . Set up your own system and keep (most) of your money.

Reactions: 4 users