Taking year off between M4 and Intern Year, Help me brainstorm what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfm100269

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a year off between M4 year and intern year.

Basically I ended up not applying to the match. Right now I have no plan on what to do during this time and am beginning to brainstorm ideas on what to do to make up for this red flag and a "experience furthering my training." I am in good standing with my school and on schedule to graduate on time, I never really doubted my desire to get out there and do some doctoring, my life just sort've came to a stand still during the August-October months and as a result I wound up with an extra year in my training to do something with.

Any help would be great, all my peers are really focused on their own match, and all are somewhat amazed and befuddled that I'm taking NEXT year off instead of this one.

Obvious answers I've thought of but don't have much idea about-
*research - actually haven't done any in medical school
*medical mission - possibly funding would be problematic
*MPH - the one year dual degree program may not be compatible with doing it my final year
*Masters in Education - medical education is my real interest, but again, not much contact in that area

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would definitely try to get a degree of some sort (MPH, MBA, MS...) so you can say at your residency interviews that you had planned this all along and you will be in the same boat as med students that did dual programs.

I think doing "research" is not a significant enough reason to take the year off and some might question your motivation for doing so at your interviews.

I am taking a year off between M4 year and intern year.

I am in good standing with my school and on schedule to graduate on time, I never really doubted my desire to get out there and do some doctoring, my life just sort've came to a standstill during the August-October months and as a result I wound up with an extra year in my training to do something with.

a) What specialty are you applying for? Your decision on what to do is influenced by what you hope to eventually match into.

b) Is there any way that you could NOT graduate this coming June? It is significantly harder to match once you've graduated (and been cut loose from the school)...it would be easier (in the long run) to start doing something now, apply for the match as an MS4 this coming September 2012, and then graduate in June of 2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
b) Is there any way that you could NOT graduate this coming June? It is significantly harder to match once you've graduated (and been cut loose from the school)...it would be easier (in the long run) to start doing something now, apply for the match as an MS4 this coming September 2012, and then graduate in June of 2013.

I actually took a year off starting late in my fourth year, and this is exactly the advice I got from my dean/advisers. I am doing research, with a couple poster presentations, and a pub that happened after I applied. Not going for a degree because I was off cycle.

I don't think this has negatively impacted me. I still got plenty of interviews, and interviewers ask me about it. Most respond positively.

I would definitely recommend talking to your dean/advisers right away since they can help you get something set up quickly. At my school, you need to have at least one or two rotations of fourth year left to be able to take the year, so you could start as late as March if that is the case at your school too.

Seriously, don't wait any longer! It is so much easier to do the match while still a med student.

I actually took a year off starting late in my fourth year, and this is exactly the advice I got from my dean/advisers. I am doing research, with a couple poster presentations, and a pub that happened after I applied. Not going for a degree because I was off cycle.

I don't think this has negatively impacted me. I still got plenty of interviews, and interviewers ask me about it. Most respond positively.

I would definitely recommend talking to your dean/advisers right away since they can help you get something set up quickly. At my school, you need to have at least one or two rotations of fourth year left to be able to take the year, so you could start as late as March if that is the case at your school too.

Seriously, don't wait any longer! It is so much easier to do the match while still a med student.

this. stay a med student. taking a year to do research isnt uncommon and will help your match as well. other degrees are of questionable help in matching, but worth it if youre interested