Taking USMLE II as intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impatiently waiting

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD folks take the USMLE 2 as students. Do DOs have to also (assuming they want to) or can they wait till their intern year to do it. I have already taken the COMLEX 2 so the requirement by MD programs to take step 2 before starting in their program will be filled.

I am a 4th year going into allopathic IM, fyi. Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by impatiently waiting
MD folks take the USMLE 2 as students. Do DOs have to also (assuming they want to) or can they wait till their intern year to do it. I have already taken the COMLEX 2 so the requirement by MD programs to take step 2 before starting in their program will be filled.

I am a 4th year going into allopathic IM, fyi. Thanks-

Are you sure that the programs you are applying to state that you have to finish USMLE Step II before entering?

Usually, residency programs require that you graduate from an accredited medical school as the condition for starting.

It's the medical school that prevents you from graduating (and thus, entering residency) unless you pass USMLE Step II / COMLEX Level 2.

Most MD students will take Step II near the end of 4th year. This is because their interviews are over and they have a relatively light schedule as they wind down their 4th year.

And if you are planning to take it, avoid putting it off until internship. That's when you should be concentrating on passing Step III/Level 3, not worrying about II. You will never have as much free time in residency as you do now in your 4th year.

Good luck