Taking the DAT on July 2014 Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvaDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my Dear Future Dentists,

I am also studying for the DAT. Lets support each other and answer the following questions:

1. How are you feeling?
2. For how long have you studied/do you plan to study for?
3. Weakest area/areas.
4. Materials that you are using.
5. Things that have helped you on the way.
6. Any additional info you might have. For instance anyone you know who has taken the DAT recently and have tips, motivational stories etc...

Add more questions if you have!

I wish you all the best and a "stress-free" time before the DAT (it seems impossible huh?)

:woot:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm alright. Looks like I have to buckle down and just do tons of problems before I try another practice test. Do you guys find Chad's quizzes or BC subject-specific practice tests to be more helpful? I should probably tackle both of them, anyway...

Hmm alright. Looks like I have to buckle down and just do tons of problems before I try another practice test. Do you guys find Chad's quizzes or BC subject-specific practice tests to be more helpful? I should probably tackle both of them, anyway...
I wouldn't do BC subject specific test until you finish all 5 because those are basically questions from the 5 tests. It will not be beneficial if you already saw the same questions from the subject specific test when you go to take your BC tests. Chad's OC quizzes will definitely increase your BC test scores which I think will translate to higher score the DAT also. I went through chad's quizzes until I got 0 wrong out of all 200 something questions before I moved onto BC OC tests and I constantly got 20-26. Chad's GC quizzes however did not really help much because I feel like BC GC tests were more concept heavy. hope this helps

Relax, take a BC test, then take a 5 minute break, then look over the solutions, spend at least 5-10 minutes per solution to figure out a better approach and move on.

Move on to: same topic, or another topic.

Breaks are necessary to eat or maybe do some push ups.

Good luck bro

You can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do BC subject specific test until you finish all 5 because those are basically questions from the 5 tests. It will not be beneficial if you already saw the same questions from the subject specific test when you go to take your BC tests. Chad's OC quizzes will definitely increase your BC test scores which I think will translate to higher score the DAT also. I went through chad's quizzes until I got 0 wrong out of all 200 something questions before I moved onto BC OC tests and I constantly got 20-26. Chad's GC quizzes however did not really help much because I feel like BC GC tests were more concept heavy. hope this helps
Thanks for the advice, I didn't realize they're the same questions. I feel like I would benefit more from doing subject-specific tests just so I can really hone in on what I'm getting wrong, and I was planning on doing a practice exam every morning until my test. Looks like I don't really have time for both though. Which would you recommend over the other? I'm fine with timing, so I don't think I need any work on that.

Relax, take a BC test, then take a 5 minute break, then look over the solutions, spend at least 5-10 minutes per solution to figure out a better approach and move on.

Move on to: same topic, or another topic.

Breaks are necessary to eat or maybe do some push ups.

Good luck bro

You can do it.
Just wish there was more time in the day. Maybe I just won't sleep until I'm done with the DAT. :dead:

No, but not good either. I'm would love to break a 20!

Guys I just finished mine.. Let me just say this because I'll post a breakdown later, it's SOOOO much easier than you think. Don't give up

Reactions: 1 users
Guys I just finished mine.. Let me just say this because I'll post a breakdown later, it's SOOOO much easier than you think. Don't give up

OMG, please don't say that.....

That is good though!!!

Congrats, you finally did it....

You earned a stripe!

:)

How much easier???

If I'm scoring 17-20 on boot camp what would I get on the DAT?

Took mine today as well and very pleased with how it went :). I'll try and post a breakdown later tonight.

Quick Synopsis for any of those super stressed out: RC and QR were a lot lot easier than I expected!! Sciences were on par with chad's quizzes. PAT was a little harder than CrackDAT PAT (a few weird hole punches and a handful of pretty hard TFE).

You guys can do it! Walk in confident and don't stress out now. It's the homestretch baby!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll post my breakdown later but here:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: 1 user
Bio was the easiest. I don't understand why it's the hardest section. But I am a bio major.. Organic is my weakest and that shows. Just glad I didn't score under a 17 in anything. With a 3.85TS gpa, I think I'm okay. I only applied to UK and UofL.

Bio was the easiest. I don't understand why it's the hardest section. But I am a bio major.. Organic is my weakest and that shows. Just glad I didn't score under a 17 in anything. With a 3.85TS gpa, I think I'm okay. I only applied to UK and UofL.
funny because I'm only applying to u ofl and UK also

What and where is UK?

What bio category is worth focusing on vs other categories

I think a 6th grader could have taken my biology section. I had questions all over the board. 1 plant question. A couple of hormone. 1 Ecology. And i havent gotten home yet to do my breakdown yet @tooth knockn

Just to update. I got 22TS/21AA/18PAT.
Quick synopsis:
Science, QR, & RC was do able. PAT was a battle against time. If you can do bootcamp, you'll probably be fine. Good Luck!

I think a 6th grader could have taken my biology section. I had questions all over the board. 1 plant question. A couple of hormone. 1 Ecology. And i havent gotten home yet to do my breakdown yet @tooth knockn
clearly we did not get the same bio exam lol
I didnt get any hormones... and I loved that section :/

Reactions: 1 user
Just took the dat today - did great ill post a breakdown later. It's honestly easier than a lot of bootcamp I found. The one section I struggled in was biology, I thought it was rough but I got a 20. I marked at least 15 questions.

Just took the dat today - did great ill post a breakdown later. It's honestly easier than a lot of bootcamp I found. The one section I struggled in was biology, I thought it was rough but I got a 20. I marked at least 15 questions.

Can't wait....

How is bootcamp compared to the real deal?

If I'm scoring 17-20, what should I expect ?

@tooth knockn : my boot camp scores were to the T for my actual DAT, an average of all my scores would give me my DAT score. But most people say their scores went up. But I took my bootcamp tests 2 days before my DAT. How long do you have left?

@tooth knockn : my boot camp scores were to the T for my actual DAT, an average of all my scores would give me my DAT score. But most people say their scores went up. But I took my bootcamp tests 2 days before my DAT. How long do you have left?

Hey :)

I'm doing good/ok with bio 18-22, but my chem is like 17-18, and pat and RC is like 17-20,

Aug.13 is my scheduled date to take dat.

test in one week :boom: @chemkay i saw your breakdown, & it looks amazing! congrats! i was wondering how detail did you study for biology section? did you study like every single thing on cliff?

test in one week :boom: @chemkay i saw your breakdown, & it looks amazing! congrats! i was wondering how detail did you study for biology section? did you study like every single thing on cliff?

Yes except for taxa and plants. I have a strong biology background though. And thank you :)

how are my favorite SDNers doing????? I saw many which is similar to the real thing questions, and here is a detailed analysis for you :)
BIO: THEY ARE ALL SIMILAR TO THE REAL THING! it's random, very very very random, make sure you read a lot instead of memorizing a lot, that was my only little regret, the questions could be very detailed, or simply very general, study everything!
GC: I would say Bootcamp, qVault and topscore were all similar to the real thing, DAT Destroyer was an overkill and you could score high on this section without going through the destroyer, I got a couple tricky ones that you see in every other test but totally doable
OC: same as above, the question were really simple, nothing really difficult, I got maybe 1 tricky question.. know your reactions (just read them over and over and over) and understand every concept Chad goes over
PAT: Keyhole (pretty easy compared to all practice materials), TFE (similar to Bootcamp and CDP), angles (similar to the tough ones from BC), hole punching (CDP, qVault), cube counting (very easy, had one illusion but wasn't that bad) and folding (very similar to the bootcamp, I got maybe one dice, and the rest were all weird shapes, barely any symmetrical)
RC: easier than BC, a little harder than topscore, didn't try qVault, my last passage was very annoying as I had questions that needed understanding from the passage in order to answer, they were extremely annoying! I was freaking out about this section but honestly, it's very doable! I learned english when I was 18 and I didn't think it was that bad, my strategy was to read the passage like a story, and just understand it
QR: although I am very strong at math, I had a couple tricky questions, the test is very similar to Math Destroyer (first 10 tests) with 2-3 additional tricky questions

ask me anything, GOOD LUCK :)

how are my favorite SDNers doing????? I saw many which is similar to the real thing questions, and here is a detailed analysis for you :)
BIO: THEY ARE ALL SIMILAR TO THE REAL THING! it's random, very very very random, make sure you read a lot instead of memorizing a lot, that was my only little regret, the questions could be very detailed, or simply very general, study everything!
GC: I would say Bootcamp, qVault and topscore were all similar to the real thing, DAT Destroyer was an overkill and you could score high on this section without going through the destroyer, I got a couple tricky ones that you see in every other test but totally doable
OC: same as above, the question were really simple, nothing really difficult, I got maybe 1 tricky question.. know your reactions (just read them over and over and over) and understand every concept Chad goes over
PAT: Keyhole (pretty easy compared to all practice materials), TFE (similar to Bootcamp and CDP), angles (similar to the tough ones from BC), hole punching (CDP, qVault), cube counting (very easy, had one illusion but wasn't that bad) and folding (very similar to the bootcamp, I got maybe one dice, and the rest were all weird shapes, barely any symmetrical)
RC: easier than BC, a little harder than topscore, didn't try qVault, my last passage was very annoying as I had questions that needed understanding from the passage in order to answer, they were extremely annoying! I was freaking out about this section but honestly, it's very doable! I learned english when I was 18 and I didn't think it was that bad, my strategy was to read the passage like a story, and just understand it
QR: although I am very strong at math, I had a couple tricky questions, the test is very similar to Math Destroyer (first 10 tests) with 2-3 additional tricky questions

ask me anything, GOOD LUCK :)

Hi, nice quick breakdown.....

what do you think about this math resource:

http://www.cram.com/flashcards/dat-quantitative-reasoning-questions-486295