Taking Step 2 Date & Planning Sub-Is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I know that this won't have to come up for a few months but I'm looking for insight as to when it's a good time to take Step 2, when did other MS3/4s decide to take it and how far before ERAS opening can you take it. The 2023 ERAS timeline had initial applications open up on June 8th with supplementals open on August 1st so I've been working with an estimated exam date beginning to mid May. Any experience taking it earlier or during rotations?

On the subject of Sub-internships, I've heard that summer audition rotations can be hit or miss since many of the attending physicians and program directors will have most of their attention focused on incoming residents. At the same time, you are getting 1 or 2 additional opportunities to get your name/face directly in programs that would only have paper applications to go by instead. Are there any direct benefits for taking on Sub-Is throughout the summer that outweigh waiting until August-September to start (assuming that you've applied via VSLO and other resources months in advance)?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! If there are any experts on getting through the Sub-internship process, please chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it so that you have your results come back before the official date ERAS application opens up. If it's a little later (1-2 weeks after ERAS opens), that's fine too. Otherwise, not having it on time hurts your chances for residency.

Last edited:
Take it so that you have your results come back before the official date ERAS application opens up. If it's a little later (1-2 weeks after ERAS opens), that's fine too. Otherwise, not having it on time hurts your chances for residency.
Good advice. How long does it usually take to get results back ?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If one could do aways at any time of the year, what is the best time?

I took mine immediately before 4th year started, so end of May. My school also put us on a timeline to take it… but that was 3 years ago so I no longer remember all the details

Create a time for yourself to take the exam. If you don't have a scored Step 1, then take it earlier, before away rotations if possible. If you have a scored Step 1, then can take later after your aways or in between. You do not want to be studying for Step 2 during your aways. So you should create a 2-3 week period for yourself where you can intensively study for the exam.

imo co 2024 should take step 2 as soon as possible after finishing third year. There was a study recently showing how people taking step2 right after clerkships scored somewhat higher than those who did a sub-I or elective first. More importantly, depending on what you are applying into, that score might change your plans for 4th year (where you want to do aways, and even what specialty you're targeting).

I would recommend getting step 2 done as early as you can (and are ready for). I additionally recommend getting it done before your Sub I, so you can really focus and excel in your sub I.