USMLE Taking Step 2 CK before Step 1,Some real Advice PLEASE???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sphinx007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, in my country we don't have enough time to study for step1 untill we graduate, at the same time we prefer to take step2 before step1 right after graduation since our clinical knowledge is quite fresh, then we go back to studying basic sciences in detail for step1. I need advice about does it affect (facilitates/complicates) my studying if i took step2 first or is it the other way around?
would be greatful for quick answers :)
looking forward to some real advice and tips if taking step 2 ck before step 1 is okay or not?If yes then can anyone shed some light on their experience of being in the same situation n tips on taking step 2 before step 1
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, in my country we don't have enough time to study for step1 untill we graduate, at the same time we prefer to take step2 before step1 right after graduation since our clinical knowledge is quite fresh, then we go back to studying basic sciences in detail for step1. I need advice about does it affect (facilitates/complicates) my studying if i took step2 first or is it the other way around?
looking forward to some real advice and tips if taking step 2 ck before step 1 is okay or not?If yes then can anyone shed some light on their experience of being in the same situation n tips on taking step 2 before step 1
Thanks
Would not recommend taking Step 2 before Step 1 under any circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
Would not recommend taking Step 2 before Step 1 under any circumstances.
Thanks but Can I know the reason behind that,which wld help me change my mind..bcz For me i am in my clinical years and wld be focusing on these subjects and brushing up some basic sciences info along...but if I plan in taking step 1 then I wld have to keep up with my rotation/clerkship exams and focus on basic subjects too...can't figure out how to do both of them at the same time
Would really appreciate some detailed advice

Thanks but Can I know the reason behind that,which wld help me change my mind..bcz For me i am in my clinical years and wld be focusing on these subjects and brushing up some basic sciences info along...but if I plan in taking step 1 then I wld have to keep up with my rotation/clerkship exams and focus on basic subjects too...can't figure out how to do both of them at the same time
Would really appreciate some detailed advice
Step 2 incorporates a lot of Step 1. You have to have the basic science down pat and then build on that clinically. There is less molecular/enzymatic stuff on 2CK, but you'll get questions on 2CK where you'll unequivocally see why knowledge from Step 1 helps going forward, versus 2CK knowledge helps a lot less going backward to Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks
Well, I graduated in 2010 and got a 264 on step 2 CK last month. I took step 2 CS, then step 2 CK. I haven't taken step 1, nor have I studied a single page for it. It is doable, but I would say 15-20% of Qs on step 2 CK are gimmes if you know your step 1 material. Funny enough, that sub part turned out to be my strongest. In my experience, the step 2 CK material covers nicely the basic parts that you need to know for that exam. But again, that is MY experience.

I know I am probably too late on this exact thread, but I figured other people were in the same situation as the OP.

Well, I graduated in 2010 and got a 264 on step 2 CK last month. I took step 2 CS, then step 2 CK. I haven't taken step 1, nor have I studied a single page for it. It is doable, but I would say 15-20% of Qs on step 2 CK are gimmes if you know your step 1 material. Funny enough, that sub part turned out to be my strongest. In my experience, the step 2 CK material covers nicely the basic parts that you need to know for that exam. But again, that is MY experience.

I know I am probably too late on this exact thread, but I figured other people were in the same situation as the OP.
Hey. If you could please tell the resources you used and the time frame in which you prepared for Step 2 CK, it would be of great help!

Hey. If you could please tell the resources you used and the time frame in which you prepared for Step 2 CK, it would be of great help!
Hi! Please search for my username, they will show up elsewhere on this page. Otherwise, PM me.

In a similar situation where I’ll be taking Step 2 before Step 1.

Any book or video recommendations?
OP, did you find any further useful info?
Please search for my username and you will be able to see how I did. In a nutshell, UWorld and CMS were the most helpful tools. There really are no good books for Step 2 CK. I would emphasize using your previous clinical knowledge and reshaping it for the purpose of the exam. FYI, although 15-20% of the exam is more or less "basic sciences", these areas are covered adequately in the UWorld database for Step 2. If you want to read text besides that provided in UWorld, consider Uptodate which was perfect for me.

Last edited: