taking DAT end of sophmore yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UW09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that most people take the DATs right after they apply (end of jnr yr). At the end of my soph yr I will be done with bio and organic chem (gen chem = 1st yr). Wouldn't it be better for me to take the DATs mid-end summer when I still remember my org chem + bio (on top of reviewing during the beginning of summer)...instead of waiting another year.

Members don't see this ad.

UW09 said:
It seems that most people take the DATs right after they apply (end of jnr yr). At the end of my soph yr I will be done with bio and organic chem (gen chem = 1st yr). Wouldn't it be better for me to take the DATs mid-end summer when I still remember my org chem + bio (on top of reviewing during the beginning of summer)...instead of waiting another year.

Usually people take the DAT some time during their 3rd year and apply at the end of their third year. Taking it at the end of the third year (and into that summer) is the latest that most people SHOULD take it. If you feel like you are adequately prepared during the summer after your sophomore year, then feel free to take the DAT. :)

I would take the Kaplan course. if you are score high on their tests you will have strong DAT results.

Also, if you are thinking about taking it at the end of your soph year, give it all you got. You want to take the DATs once and do well enough to not look at it again. I have seen many students taking it their Sophomore year as "practice", not giving it the adequate prep that is required, and end up busting their tails at the end of their 3rd year to retake them. Do it once, and give it all you got.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd drop my opinion!

I am a junior now, and would not have taken the DAT last year. I'm not sure how your school works, but many of the classes I took just this last semester feel like good review.

Courses like biochem, vertebrate bio, animal physiology, comparative anatomy, histology, and analytical chem are all relevant and can only help deepen your understanding of the sciences. If you have taken these by the end of your soph year, than I guess I can't argue with ya! The only adv you'd have to taken the test now is that ochem is definitely fresh.

Also does your school have any sort of test prep or pre-prof. committee? They probably would have an intensive review next spring if you have one.

Really, since you are already thinking about the test, you could just take this year to really practice up the PAT and get a 20+ which looks excellent on apps. And instead of cramming for 3 months, you could be dissecting the Kaplan/ect books a year in adv. and really have your stuff together come next spring.

Oh well, that's what I'd do if I had your situation.

I took the DAT at the end of the summer after my sophomore year. I had finished up gen chem, bio, and ochem and felt like it would be best to study for the DAT for a couple of months while not taking classes, rather than waiting until spring of my junior year (I can't imagine preparing to take the DAT right about now, eek :D ). I did very well, and I think it helped to have the material from bio and ochem still fresh in my mind :)

As Dr. Parm said, if you do decide to take the DAT before your junior year, don't go into it thinking of this as a "practice" since you have time to retake them later.. Give it all you have and get it over with! :)