Taking COMLEX 2 Date & Planning Sub-Is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I know that this won't have to come up for a few months but I'm looking for insight as to when it's a good time to take COMLEX Level 2, when did other MS3/4s decide to take it and how far before ERAS opening can you take it. The 2023 ERAS timeline had initial applications open up on June 8th with supplementals open on August 1st so I've been working with an estimated exam date beginning to mid May. Any experience taking it earlier or during rotations?

On the subject of Sub-internships, I've heard that summer audition rotations can be hit or miss since many of the attending physicians and program directors will have most of their attention focused on incoming residents. At the same time, you are getting 1 or 2 additional opportunities to get your name/face directly in programs that would only have paper applications to go by instead. Are there any direct benefits for taking on Sub-Is throughout the summer that outweigh waiting until August-September to start (assuming that you've applied via VSLO and other resources months in advance)?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! If there are any experts on getting through the Sub-internship process, please chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it so that you have your results come back before the official date ERAS application opens up. If it's a little later (1-2 weeks after ERAS opens), that's fine too. Otherwise, not having it on time hurts your chances for residency.

Last edited:
comlex: just take it whenever you're able to pass it and before ERAS opens up.

sub-i: if you need Letter of Recommendations, then definitely do it before ERAS opens up. I did 2 of my sub-i's before it opened up in end of sept (aug and sept). worked out well, i got LORs from both PDs. if you dont need LORs, then it wouldnt really matter when you do it. although, most of my sub-i's i applied to only offered dates after August. I guess you'd be on the back burner if you did yours in july.