Taking Chem and Bio at the same time?

glowworm

inching along
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had planned to take the beginning chemistry class with lab (Chem I) and the beginning biology class (Bio I) my first semester in college, along with spanish 1 (3 hours), college algebra (3 hours), and maybe some easy athletics class. My mom said I should only do chemistry (assuming I decide on doing pharmacy) and save biology for later to keep from getting overwhelmed.

I know this is not a heavy course load even with both science classes & labs, but I haven't been to "real school" since fourth grade (homeschooled), and I think it might take a while to get adjusted to teachers I can't rewind, and new books, and taking notes and stuff like that. Also, I want to work on CLEPing out of stuff I don't like or already know- english Lit, economics, history, etc.

I might not need as much biology for pharmacy, but I am not certain that that is what I want to do. I just don't want to get behind if I go for dentistry, PT, optometry, etc. and not be able to finish in four years because of putting off biology.

If I put off Bio 1, that will just make my course load harder next semester, so maybe it doesn't matter all that much?

On one hand, I figure I should get used to lots of science classes at one time; but then I don't want to screw up my GPA my first semester either.

Opinions please? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At my Uni all Biomed majors take Chem I first semester and then Chem II Bio I the next semester. It works out fine for them and this degree is for pre-pharm, dent, med, opt,vet etc etc. You'd be fine putting it off.

I however took them together and didn't think it was that bad but I already had a bit of background in both areas in HS.

If you can handle the course load than i think you should do it. Many of my friends are doing this now, since i have a weak chemistry background, i decided to take chem ONLY this semester (my 1st semester in college) and next semester I will take Chem and Physics*

Remember, since you want to do pharmacy you will need your pre-reqs of Bio, Chem, Orgo and Physics. They are all 1 year long courses, so if you were to not double up at any time, it would take 4 years before you can finish it all. I think its better if you do Chem and Bio together, unless you want to take Chem now, and do bio over the summer.

Do the summer thing only if you need to adjust then it will be a good thing and possibly save your gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your aptitude and work ethic, which in the end are only things you can judge for yourself.

Personally, I wish I would have taken Chemistry my first semester of college (I didn't, not on purpose, but because I kept putting off the placement test--ended up taking both Gen Chems over the summer).

I found Intro Bio to be a relatively easy course, a lot of reading and flash cards but nothing too conceptually difficult. Chemistry involves math and requires a fair amount of practice; it comes easily to some people but some people also have a lot of trouble with it.

Important sidenote is that certain topics in Intro Bio I would have found easier probably if I had been taking or had taken Chemistry, things like membrane composition and glycolysis (not covered in major detail, but still).

However, if you're having doubts about being able to handle it, it might be best not to risk it.

Hope this helps : )

I had a similar situation my freshman year. I was afraid about taking calc (a subject I am weak in), chem & bio all at the same time so I delayed calc to the next year. It did mess up my schedule a bit and I ended up having to take 2 courses over the summer but it is definitely doable. If you are feeling any hesitation about taking them at the same time I would delay the class you feel the weakest in until next year. (depends on your school, but in mine starting the first course of a year long course 2nd semester wasn't the best idea & wasn't always possible). I think Bio would be the easiest to delay but do whatever makes you feel comfortable to get into the groove of college work. best of luck :luck:

The kids from public schools tend to depende on the teachers because in high school you can just listen to the teachers and get straight A without studying. Maybe a little bit.

Since you have done home schooling, I think you are good at reading and math and did them independently. Your skills have shown on the ACT test; you got a 36 on the English section and a very good score on the reading section. College is an environment requires a lot of independent study so I think you will be able to handle it

That's my 0.02$ :)

I don't think that sounds like a heavy workload at all, honestly. You're going to be taking 2 science classes in the same semester for just about every semester of college, and those classes are going to be far harder than introductory sciences. You'll be just fine.

Unless you plan to go out partying 5 nights a week or something, you should be fine. My first semester I had chem, bio, physics, calculus and psych and I was terrified going in, but it's really not too bad. Just treat it like a job, after all that's what you are there for. It's definitely more work than high school but loads of people have that sort of course load and are fine!

Several people at my school during undergrad (including me) took the introductory bios and chems at the same time. As long as you don't let the college experience overwhelm you then you shouldn't have any problems. Like everyone else has said, it's not going to get any easier!

Ok thanks for the input everybody. I guess I will start out taking it and drop it if I get overwhelmed.

Ok thanks for the input everybody. I guess I will start out taking it and drop it if I get overwhelmed.

Then why not start out with out it? its not going to hurt you really. Dropping a class might hurt you. Get use to the college first, you have that right. Im assuming that if you dont take Chem and Bio, you believe you will be able to get A's in all your classes...if that is the case, then just take 1. If you can handle it, take Bio 1 or Chem 1 (depending on which you decide to take first semester) your second semester, and just continue with it in the summer or the fall after.

Most schools have a set date, usually a bit before midterms, that if you drop a course before that there is no penalty.

If your school has such a date, then for sure start with both courses. Keep in mind that even if you put a course off, you'll have to take it later, probably when you have harder courses and your GPA matters more.

Good luck!

I should hope you would be able to manage a general chemistry and biology class at the same time. Also, I know where I go everyone does that in order to stay on track.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had planned to take the beginning chemistry class with lab (Chem I) and the beginning biology class (Bio I) my first semester in college, along with spanish 1 (3 hours), college algebra (3 hours), and maybe some easy athletics class. My mom said I should only do chemistry (assuming I decide on doing pharmacy) and save biology for later to keep from getting overwhelmed.

It sounds like your mom knows what she is talking about. Consider yourself lucky. Having said that, how hard the bio and chem courses will be depends on the professor. Most of us here on SDN would agree that general bio and general chem is not that hard to handle as long as you have a good work ethic. What sucks is that you will spend about 6 hours a week in labs. Spanish 1 is pretty easy. College algebra should not be that hard either. If you ask me, it is an decent first semester course load. I would advice not to take an athletic course though. But that is just me.

I know this is not a heavy course load even with both science classes & labs, but I haven't been to "real school" since fourth grade (homeschooled), and I think it might take a while to get adjusted to teachers I can't rewind, and new books, and taking notes and stuff like that. Also, I want to work on CLEPing out of stuff I don't like or already know- english Lit, economics, history, etc.

I might not need as much biology for pharmacy, but I am not certain that that is what I want to do. I just don't want to get behind if I go for dentistry, PT, optometry, etc. and not be able to finish in four years because of putting off biology.

If I put off Bio 1, that will just make my course load harder next semester, so maybe it doesn't matter all that much?

On one hand, I figure I should get used to lots of science classes at one time; but then I don't want to screw up my GPA my first semester either.

Opinions please? Thanks!

Just take a day at a time. If you feel that you need to drop a course to become adjust to college, just don't drop below 12 credits as it can screw your aide up.

That course load is far from impossible. That being said, freshman year of college is different for everyone - some students just continue studying away and do well automatically, some keep working but fall behind, and others decide that drinking/sleeping/watching super troopers is a better way to spend Monday-Friday than going to class (they either do just fine or fail).

The thing is, you don't know which of these categories you will fall into yet. I came into college thinking that I would study well just like in high school, but I ended up attending exactly one lecture during my first semester of college and my studying was practically non-existent. You need to think ahead and try to figure out which of these groups you will fall into. If you think you may slack, start without the class (you don't want to risk missing that add/drop deadline). If you are pretty sure that you will stay focused, start with the class.

PS - Many people who begin college with epic slacking, usually turn around later on, so don't be too alarmed if this is you, just do what you can to fix it.

I should hope you would be able to manage a general chemistry and biology class at the same time. Also, I know where I go everyone does that in order to stay on track.

This is not necessarily true. I just got done talking to the pre-professional adviser at the University I will be attending and it really depends on what you feel like you can handle. Alot of people just take chem first year and adjust to college. They will have more catch up but its not impossible especially if you want to do a few summer classes. For me first quarter im just taking Chem + lab, Math class, university studies (its a required thing), 15 credits total. Then the the next quarter I may add in biology if i think i could handle it. That would mean I would only need one more quarter of biology after freshman year if I decide to do that.

This is not necessarily true. I just got done talking to the pre-professional adviser at the University I will be attending and it really depends on what you feel like you can handle. Alot of people just take chem first year and adjust to college. They will have more catch up but its not impossible especially if you want to do a few summer classes. For me first quarter im just taking Chem + lab, Math class, university studies (its a required thing), 15 credits total. Then the the next quarter I may add in biology if i think i could handle it. That would mean I would only need one more quarter of biology after freshman year if I decide to do that.

Yeah, I guess it depends on your major. As a bio major you really should be able to handle an entry level biology and chemistry course at the same time. I guess if you are just doing "pre-med" which is essentially just the prereqs you need for medical school you don't have to but if you want to actually get into upper level classes fast then you should do them both and get them over with. They aren't hard at all. Also, if you want to do Medical school you need to be able to do more than one science subject per quarter.

Last year as a high school junior, I took AP Biology and AP Chemistry. And I worked my butt off and got "A" in AP Chemistry and "A-" in AP Biology.

So, if you have motivation, then go for it!

Last year as a high school junior, I took AP Biology and AP Chemistry. And I worked my butt off and got "A" in AP Chemistry and "A-" in AP Biology.

Something about this kinda made me laugh a little...i dont know why lol.

Something about this kinda made me laugh a little...i dont know why lol.

I'm guessing its because you were subconsciously thinking about the poster's name when you read the message. :laugh:

Speaking of odd names...
"Maygyver"? Was this supposed to be MacGyver? :rolleyes:

macgyver.jpg

Did somebody say my name?

IMO, high school preparation means naught for college performance. What is required is intelligence and dedication. The experiences are not comparable. Your home school background should not have much, if any, detrimental effect.

My question: Can you maintain a 2 science class a semester workload or is it important to build up to 3 sciences a semester for med school/pharm school? I only seem able to manage two sciences at a time, but to the OP, I definitely think it would be a good idea to take just Chem the first semester and work your way up to two. I had taken Chem and Cal my first semester and ended up repeating them both the next semester. You should only go for two if your sure you can handle it...don't let it be wishful thinking though.

I don't see any reason you should have to squeeze in 3 science classes in a semester, but you can if you like. I had at least two and as many as 4 during every semester. Taking it easy during the first semester is a good idea, for it will let you adjust to college life a bit better. That said, I would consider intro bio, gen chem, and algebra in the same semester "taking it easy." Those are all fairly simple classes and shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Best Post of the Week.

trophy.jpg