Taking a year off between medical school and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOkan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just had a question to put out to everyone just to get a few different opinions. I am currently in the 4th year of Med school in the U.S. and I have already started the process of residency applications and interviews. Since the beginning of 3rd year I was pondering if I should take some time off before residency, but I always pushed aside those thoughts and just said that I am almost finished and I might as well just get to the end and move on. But As I get to the end of fourth year I realize that I feel that I need that break just to have different experiences. I did a 7-yr medical program, so I feel that I have gained an extra year and I could use that for this purpose. But on the other side of the fence, I am afraid that this would be to my detriment because residency programs would feel that I have lost clinical skills in comparison to the graduates who will start immediately after their 4th yr. I would just like some opinions from others, are there any other advantages in going straight to residency other than getting it over with?

Members don't see this ad.

I say do what you need to do to prepare yourself for residency. I keep finding myself lengthening the path to being finished with a year of research between undergrad and med school and an MPH between med school and residency. I haven't been able to do a single clinical thing this year b/c I don't have medmal to cover me right now. yet, i can easily demonstrate to programs (the rare ones who even care) that i maintain my interest in my field by occasionally attending relevent noon conferences, reading, current research, etc.

obviously there are a few things to consider.
1) loans. if you have them, they'll find you. i'm able to defer this year b/c i'm a full time student still
2) expense of whatever you'll do between med school and residency. travelling costs money, paying back loans (i'm a little obsessed), rent, utilities etc.
3) field of medicine you'll be pursuing. i'm doing peds, a very mental health/family friendly field that would likely appreciate you taking time off to recharge. maybe surgery residency directors would be less supportive.

i'm sure there are other things to think about but in the end, do what's right for you. life's too short.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone is different--some are more "devil may care," some are more cautious.

The only advice you should listen to is the following:

Live your life in a way that you won't have any major regrets.

Wanna take some time off? Go. This isn't the freakin' KGB--no one's going to kill you if you take off and do something else. Med school loans are extremely forgiving--deferral is allowed even if you're not a full-time student.

And you were in an accelerated program--sorry to say it, but you missed out on a lot that life has to offer. So what--you end up doing residency at someplace other than Yale and something besides ortho. Who cares? Do what's going to result in your having the most personally fulfilling life possible, not what's acceptable by the system.

May the Force be with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I took two years off and didn't have any trouble getting FP interviews. Only one program gave me a hard time about it, the rest said it would take me longer to get the swing of things than my classmates, but after a month or two it will even out.

I took USMLE Step II just before residency interviews as some kind of objective measure of my reading. Everywhere I interviewed has said that this was a good idea (I am a DO, I did not have to take it)

Federal Loans will give you an economic deferral for three years. This is what you will use to defer your loans during residency, but you do not have to be a resident to claim economic deferral.

I had to apply every six months for an economic forbearance on my private loans. It has been granted everytime, and I have paid nothing on those either. For the first six months, I was able to get a "special situation" deferral because I had a baby.

That all being said, I think that I had common, easily understandable reasons for taking time off. I was ill, which led to the first year off. Then I had a baby, which was complicated because I was recently ill, and took another year off. I was afraid that programs wouldn't understand, would consider me a high risk for getting sick again during residency (it was not a chronic problem), or would just think that I will value family first and take too much time off with my kid (not true). My fears were unfounded - they just asked about the time off, I explained, and we moved on.

That being said, I was told by many that they were glad to hear that my time off was not "just because I needed a break" or "time to think", because that would make them think that maybe I am not sure what I want to do, and those are the type of people that quit during intern year. I'm not saying that this applies to you, but this is what I was told at nearly all of the six places that I interviewed at, so it is something that you will want to think about addressing when you interview, and when you think about how you want to spend your time off.

Reactions: 1 users
i took some time off as well, and granted i was applying to primary care, it was not a problem with interviews/ranking at all. i say do it. it's unconventional, and startign off residency is a little harder than your colleagues, but by the 2 or 3rd month, it's totally fine.

do it! :)

Doc Oc said: "I was afraid that programs wouldn't understand, would think that I will value family first and take too much time off with my kid..."

I have already interviewed but not yet ranked programs in Internal Medicine. I just found out I am pregnant, and am now thinking about extending my fourth year into two or taking a break completely. So if I were to take time off because I do not want to start internship year with maternity leave and miss out on the first months with a new baby, would that be ok if I reapply and interview next year? How do you think residency programs would percieve this?

i have been pondering whether or not to take a year off after i graduate medical school and my 1st year of residency. it just sometimes feels like i've been on a constant go with absolutely no breaks up to this point, and i feel like i'm losing that motivation and drive. maybe it just comes out to me being burnt out.

i want to go into psychiatry in the NYC area, but i just don't know how they would look at that. and also another concern is, i will have already taken usmle step 2, but you really can't practice or do anything without taking step 3 if i'm not mistaken right? b/c i was thinking maybe going and spending the year off in europe (specifically poland) but was thinking whether i can make myself useful in someway being a doctor by seeing patients and making some kind of money or hell even if i don't make money, just gaining experience and not losing my clinical skills.

any thoughts?

... i will have already taken usmle step 2, but you really can't practice or do anything without taking step 3 if i'm not mistaken right? b/c i was thinking maybe going and spending the year off in europe (specifically poland) but was thinking whether i can make myself useful in someway being a doctor by seeing patients and making some kind of money or hell even if i don't make money, just gaining experience and not losing my clinical skills.

any thoughts?

To work as an unsupervised physician outside of a residency program, one must take and pass USMLE Step 3, apply for an unrestricted medical license (most states require at least 1 year of GME before you are eligible for the license) and usually a DEA #.

Therefore, as a medical school graduate without any residency training, you are not eligible to "(be) a doctor by seeing patients".

4th year is usually pretty relaxed...you may find that you get all the rest you need the last few months of the year before residency.

Psychiatry is not very competitive, except at the top tier programs, so taking a year off should not significantly impact your application as long as you aren't sitting on the couch all year eating bon-bons (ie, DO something with that year - it doesn't have to be medical).

I agree that you may find that the relaxed nature of the second half of MS4 is enough. I was also pretty burnt out, but found myself getting bored after a while. By the time intern year started, I was ready to finally be a "real" doctor.

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually still a MS-3 student. I guess you all are right in that maybe the time i'll be getting off during my 4th year might be just enough.

Ahh....the ups and downs of med school....

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually still a MS-3 student. I guess you all are right in that maybe the time i'll be getting off during my 4th year might be just enough.

Ahh....the ups and downs of med school....

Based on how you feel halfway through MS3, you could also decide to take a year off between MS3 and MS4. I know of a number of students who have done that (for various reasons), and I think that that is far preferable to taking a year off between MS4 and intern year. That way, you can participate in the Match while still a student, and while you still have easy access to your school's application services.

Based on how you feel halfway through MS3, you could also decide to take a year off between MS3 and MS4. I know of a number of students who have done that (for various reasons), and I think that that is far preferable to taking a year off between MS4 and intern year. That way, you can participate in the Match while still a student, and while you still have easy access to your school's application services.

Are you significantly disadvantaged with your schools match service etc if you graduate first??

I just started internship this summer and it is as emotionally and physically exhausting as I expected it to be. If you are even considering taking time off to decompress than you probably need it. To get a better idea of what you might be facing you could read through my blog http://emupdate.blogspot.com/ Good luck to you.

Are you significantly disadvantaged with your schools match service etc if you graduate first??

It just makes life harder. By the time you apply those LORs will be a year out of date. You may have trouble getting an appointment with your dean. It's just harder, in general, to take advantage of your school's services when you're not a student at the time. If, worst case scenario, you need to scramble, I don't know how much your school would be willing to do for a former student vs. a currently enrolled student.

I also don't know how repaying your loans would go during that year off. It might be kind of difficult, although I'm sure that other people in the past have done SOMETHING to make it workable.

huh I'm glad I read this because I totally didn't think that it would be any different...you would think the school would want to help you just as much because you will be on their match list and part of their statistics.

huh I'm glad I read this because I totally didn't think that it would be any different...you would think the school would want to help you just as much because you will be on their match list and part of their statistics.

You wouldn't be on their match list OR a part of their statistics.

You're only on their match list if you're still an enrolled student. Once you're graduated, you would not be included on any further match lists.

Not that that's the main motivation for why med schools do things, but no - once you're graduated, you're an alum, not a current student. Match lists only track current students.

It's not that they DON'T want to help alumni, it's just that their hands are tied in terms of what their registrar's policy will allow, what the Match allows, etc.

Just an FYI- leaving medicine with the intention of coming back can have profound unexpected consequences. Coming out of the fog you will be able to see clearly again. This can be a blessing but it also can psychologically wreck you when you realize how amazing life can be again when removed from medicine only to know you have to go back. I can speak from experience. Tormenting exhilaration is the best way I can describe it.

hi all,
anyone out there who was an "off-cycle" student for taking upexpected time off during medical school? what did you do about applying to residency?

I am currently an "off-cycle" student...meaning I took time off and now that I'm back I will be able to walk @ the may 2011 graduation ceremony but I won't be done with medical school till beginning of aug. 2011...all residency programs start in July the latest, so I am debating what I want to do.

I would rather wait a year and apply to the next cycle of residency (2012) so I can apply on time, but that would leave me with a 9-month gap time that I would have to figure out what to do with...I was also told that I can still apply to residency this year, and that some programs might still take me even if i start later (i.e. aug. or sept. vs. july), but I don't know how likely that is, I don't want to decrease my chances of the possibility of getting into a good residency because of that...I mean realistically, how many programs would consider taking a resident who will start 1-2 months after regular interns?

so I thought I would post this here and see if anyone out there was an "off-cycle" student...what your experience was like-what you did etc. as well as any advice?

thanks!

hi all,
anyone out there who was an "off-cycle" student for taking upexpected time off during medical school? what did you do about applying to residency?

I am currently an "off-cycle" student...meaning I took time off and now that I'm back I will be able to walk @ the may 2011 graduation ceremony but I won't be done with medical school till beginning of aug. 2011...all residency programs start in July the latest, so I am debating what I want to do.

I would rather wait a year and apply to the next cycle of residency (2012) so I can apply on time, but that would leave me with a 9-month gap time that I would have to figure out what to do with...I was also told that I can still apply to residency this year, and that some programs might still take me even if i start later (i.e. aug. or sept. vs. july), but I don't know how likely that is, I don't want to decrease my chances of the possibility of getting into a good residency because of that...I mean realistically, how many programs would consider taking a resident who will start 1-2 months after regular interns?

so I thought I would post this here and see if anyone out there was an "off-cycle" student...what your experience was like-what you did etc. as well as any advice?

thanks!

Actually, if you cannot start on July 1, you are not eligible to participate in the NRMP. Please see this thread where aPD gives some excellent advice for someone else in your situation.

I'm in the same boat: I graduated a couple of months ago and am waiting a year. I'm in the application process right now for next year. I didn't think taking a year off would hurt my chances that much of being matched. Then I studied the NRMP stats that were released. There's about a 95% match rate for MD seniors. That rate drops to about 40% for MD graduates who waited at least a year! Granted the latter value lumps together people who waited a year and others who waited multiple years. It also doesn't specify the specialties applied to. But it does paint a much different picture than what's been said in this thread. It seems like it DOES hurt your chances A LOT and has me freaking out! I feel like I threw away my future by waiting a year especially since I'm a DO so that rate must be even lower than 40%! I want to be a psychiatrist so one savIng grace is that it's not as competitive since I'll be competing against mostly IMGs.
Ohh I'm so worried:(

I'm in the same boat: I graduated a couple of months ago and am waiting a year. I'm in the application process right now for next year. I didn't think taking a year off would hurt my chances that much of being matched. Then I studied the NRMP stats that were released. There's about a 95% match rate for MD seniors. That rate drops to about 40% for MD graduates who waited at least a year! Granted the latter value lumps together people who waited a year and others who waited multiple years. It also doesn't specify the specialties applied to. But it does paint a much different picture than what's been said in this thread. It seems like it DOES hurt your chances A LOT and has me freaking out! I feel like I threw away my future by waiting a year especially since I'm a DO so that rate must be even lower than 40%! I want to be a psychiatrist so one savIng grace is that it's not as competitive since I'll be competing against mostly IMGs.

If you're an AMG without visa issues, then you're fine for psych, even a year out. Expect to get just about every interview you apply for and at least one outside the match offer before Christmas.

I'm also off cycle - finished my last 4th yr rotation at end of July and will finish all my boards (COMLEX and USMLE) hopefully by end of 2011 (right now 2-PE and 2-CS are scheduled for Jan 2012 but more dates opened so I'll move them to earlier in 2011). I could've walked in May 2011 but decided to wait for May 2012 and don't worry too much about it. I'll be doing something that I've wanted to for a long time - I'll be doing an MPH and it'll help in what I eventually want to do with my life and I believe that I can explain this during interviews. I also had another year in b/t where I did PhD (was DO/PhD) before I quit so I'm on the 6 year plan here. Anywhere that will hold it against me isn't where I want to go and I'm a DO student applying to MD residencies at highly competitive places, not sure how it'll go but I think a year off doesn't hurt if you do something productive with it, even if its not med related.

Once you leave medicine for an extended period of time, you may need to go through a formal re-entry program or a clinical competency assessment. Each state medical board has formal rules/regulations that govern these types of requirements. Hence, it's important to know that process if you're thinking about taking a leave from clinical medicine.

Once you leave medicine for an extended period of time, you may need to go through a formal re-entry program or a clinical competency assessment. Each state medical board has formal rules/regulations that govern these types of requirements. Hence, it's important to know that process if you're thinking about taking a leave from clinical medicine.

While totally irrelevant to any post in this discussion (which is all about taking time off before one becomes a licensed physician), this is nevertheless kind of a good point.

But it's really easy to deal with. Keep a license and keep a board certification (including CME) and nobody will bat an eye. All of that should cost <$1000/year which, unless you're bailing out of medicine to go trekking in the Himalayas or Andes for 3-5 years, shouldn't be a financial strain. Do that and you'll have no (administrative) difficulty finding another attending/staff position if/when you decide to come back to medicine. Nobody may be interested in hiring you for other reasons, but at least it won't be because you're not licensed and board certified.

I think 5-10 years post bail-out is a reasonable time frame for this. If that means re-certifying in your primary or secondary specialty in that time period, suck it up and do it. The downside of losing your license/certification if you need it in the future, is much much much greater than the minimal time/money you lose keeping it up and not needing it.

But it's really easy to deal with. Keep a license and keep a board certification (including CME) and nobody will bat an eye..

that's not sufficient for some state medical license renewals- the renewal apps ask about time spent away from active clinical medicine, or time spent working less than a certain number of hours per week

I have a similar question. I'm a US-FMG from the carribean, and was intending to apply for the upcoming match for an IM residency. The thing is I haven't take my step 2 ck yet and I have taken a NBME and I'm did not do well (ie did not pass). I had the CK scheduled for Sept 13, but I'm not sure if I'll be ready. My goal score is at least 230 and since I got a solid step 1 score, I know that a decrease from that would look really bad, especially if its near the pass/not pass range.

If I dont feel ready by next weekend, I was thinking of postponing the match for a year. Being a FMG already puts me at a disadvantage, and having a low CK score would hurt my chances more. I do have the option to graduate in Dec 2012 instead of June 2012 by taking a few months off between electives. I feel that after I finish most of my electives, I would be a stronger IM candidate since I would have a solid CK score, and more LORs from IM. Right now since I had only an IM core rotation, I only have 1 LOR from IM itself.

I thought of travelling during the time off. I really dont want to do research as I have not had much success during research and its not really appealing to me. I would be willing to do something that involves medicine and patient care, but I'm not sure what I could do.

Any advice? Thanks.

i offer this advice with very little knowledge of what you ask. you're right that as an american FMG you're disadvantaged, and i also agree that if you can't hit at least 210ish on CK it'll look bad. that said, i also think a gap in your training looks bad too, and "i was traveling" sounds immature at a residency interview. if you're not into research, don't do research. can you do more electives somehow? for what it's worth (and that shouldnt be much), that'd be my suggestion.

Anybody on what I should do?

hey guys,
I am a US IMG applying to IM residencies for 2013. I graduate may 2012 and will have one year off before residency. Passed both my steps first time around. step 1 score 192/78. step 2 score 236/99. I also will complete my MBA in health this year too. During my year off i will be volunteering at my local government hospital so i can stay in touch with my clinical skills. What else should i do? What will residency programs think ? Do i have a good chance at an IM residency after my year off. SO confused. Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Bender12

hey guys,
I am a US IMG applying to IM residencies for 2013. I graduate may 2012 and will have one year off before residency. Passed both my steps first time around. step 1 score 192/78. step 2 score 236/99. I also will complete my MBA in health this year too. During my year off i will be volunteering at my local government hospital so i can stay in touch with my clinical skills. What else should i do? What will residency programs think ? Do i have a good chance at an IM residency after my year off. SO confused. Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Bender12

someone will probably think what i'm thinking: why are you taking the year off? and what do you mean by volunteering? bringing patients cookies is far different than practicing medicine.

Gaps in the resume are always problems. No you cannot take a year off to "travel" without creating some hurdles for you. No, "volunteering" isn't going to count for much to explain what you are doing for a year. Its telling that the folks chiming in on this thread saying they got away with time off are all US grads in less competitive fields -- if thats not you, forget it. Pretty much the only gaps people get away with without consequence are spending a year to do research to make themselves more competitive, getting another advanced degree that relates to what they plan to be doing (MPH, PhD), doing a transitional/prelim year to figure out what specialty you ultimately want (not really a break), and to a limited extent, childbirth (just for moms, not dads). If you can take a year off between 3rd and 4th year to do "research, that usually is your best bet. Nobody questions that. Find a research project related to you field of interest, spend something like 5 hours a day working at it, and have lots of free time to live life/take a break.

Sorry. By volunteering I meant by volunteering in the ER or any other department that i can take history and physicals on patients. I feel that my clinical skills are not up to par for residency so me taking a year off will help me achieve that. Maybe go on some medical mission trips.

Also do you think I should Step 3 on my year off for me to be a better candidate for residency?

Thanks

Bender12

Sorry. By volunteering I meant by volunteering in the ER or any other department that i can take history and physicals on patients. I feel that my clinical skills are not up to par for residency so me taking a year off will help me achieve that. Maybe go on some medical mission trips.

Also do you think I should Step 3 on my year off for me to be a better candidate for residency?

Thanks

Bender12

yes to step 3. i'm skeptical that you'll find a US hospital that'll allow a 'volunteer' to take an H&P. you presumably are not licensed to practice medicine in any state and there is major liability in allowing you to do what you're suggesting.

Thanks

Bender12
Sometimes people need to take time off. It doesn't preclude your chances of getting a residency. I took a year off because of some personal issues, and I got a bunch of interviews this year. As long as you are up front about your reasons for taking time off, programs are usually pretty understanding. That being said, it would be wise to apply broadly and have less competitive specialty as a backup, which is what I did. Dont expect to match in a field like dermatology. Yes to Step 3, and if you know any doctors you may want to ask if you could shadow them in their clinic once a week, youll get more opportunities to do direct patient care than volunteering at the hospital.

Sorry. By volunteering I meant by volunteering in the ER or any other department that i can take history and physicals on patients.
Bender12

Doing H and P's is better than lying on the beach for a year, but it would be better to go straight into residency. H and P's aren't going to increase your clinical skills that much.

I feel that my clinical skills are not up to par for residency so me taking a year off will help me achieve that. Maybe go on some medical mission trips.

What does this really mean? Does this actually mean that your letters of recommendation are terrible or there are bad comments in your MSPE? Quite honestly, that you think your clinical skills are so bad that you can't progress in the normal fashion mean to me that either a) you are covering for red flags in the application b) you think you are dangerous and are going to kill someone.

Either way, I'd be very hesitant about ranking you. I'm also not going to trust your assurance that after hanging out in a hospital somewhere and doing something, that you are better now.

A medical mission is gravy. It won't substitute for meat.

Frankly, it is almost too late, but you should really do a transitional year or a prelim year anywhere. Get some good letters there. That will improve your application and help get over what ever red flags you have. If it is possible, if I were you, I'd try to scramble into something.

It might, if you do very well. However, Step 3 means a lot less than Step 1 and 2. If your score is that same as Step 2, it will confirm that you can do fine on the tests and your Step 1 excuse will be more accepted. Don't do poorly or even average. Programs will know that you actually studied and tried to do well on it.

Edited to add:
I feel that my clinical skills are not up to par for residency so me taking a year off will help me achieve that.

Come up with a better answer than this during your interviews. This is BS and everyone knows it. It would even be better to say "I have some issues with my application and spent that last year doing _______ to address them. I have improved in _________"

Last edited:
In my experience, taking time off does not hurt you.

I took one year off after my 4th year of medical school (in addition to 5 off before starting medical school)... I received excellent support from my medical school, great interviews at top programs, no one questioned my capabilities/competence... and if anything they were more intrigued by the stuff I did in my year off, and I matched at a great program. I think having extra-medical experiences made me a better/more interesting candidate, and is currently making me a better/healthier intern. No regrets.

If I were to see see someone straight through from a 7 year undergrad/medical program who never had any extra-medical experiences, I would be inclined to question why they never considered taking time off. I think the youth/perceived inexperience could hurt you more.

Just my experience and bias...

cereal box is right!

Take Time OFF! If you have good reason to. For the 7 year track person, definitely! You were probably an outstanding student to get that track in the first place, so you will match if you are rational about options.

For the IMG US kid- just tough it out. You don't seem like you have a good reason to take a year off, just because you are afraid or want to relax isn't good enough reason. Intern year is hard for everyone, but you will become a stronger person because of it.

I'm taking a year off- I'm a DO that went to an ACGME program. I toughed it out when I should have taken the year off for medical reasons, but I finished and am switching into Psych. I'll match somewhere, I'm sure. I'm applying for a license and will work a few months, but I DID TRAVEL for a few months and will travel some more! I'm living life, and it's OKAY to not follow the rigid "path"

The most important thing in life, is to live life. Don't be afraid of doing what you want. I think every attending I spoke to wished they did the same thing. You have, like what, 20-30 more years to work as a physician?! Everything will be okay.

Necro-bump (again). This thread started in 2006. No point replying to people earlier on the thread as to whether taking time off would be okay. They either got into and completed residency by now or failed to do so.

Necro-bump (again). This thread started in 2006. No point replying to people earlier on the thread as to whether taking time off would be okay. They either got into and completed residency by now or failed to do so.

Actually, there is a point: some of us might be interested in the opinions of others.

Would not take a year off if you are an IMG/FMG type...too risky.
There was a person in my med school class who took a year off between med school and residency and matched into ER...but he was a I believe an MD/PhD and I believe a pretty competitive applicant to start off with. And he may have secured an out of match residency spot/guarantee before he did it...I'm not sure. I was at a pretty high ranked med school but our ER program wasn't as competitive as other programs @our hospital and he may have gotten a guarantee or implied guarantee they would take him.
In general, less risky to NOT take a year off before doing residency, but if you are a competitive applicant for a not competitive specialty you can probably get away with it...I wouldn't do it before talking with a trusted advisor @your med school though...preferable more than one and including some attending in your specialty of choice.

Doing "research" while not working very hard would be a possible option (like work 5-6 hrs a day and then slack off the rest of the time). This was mentioned by someone else above. However, that might not be easy to do any more...research funding is also being squeezed from every which way...NIH budget cuts, etc.

i have been pondering whether or not to take a year off after i graduate medical school and my 1st year of residency. it just sometimes feels like i've been on a constant go with absolutely no breaks up to this point, and i feel like i'm losing that motivation and drive. maybe it just comes out to me being burnt out.

i want to go into psychiatry in the NYC area, but i just don't know how they would look at that. and also another concern is, i will have already taken usmle step 2, but you really can't practice or do anything without taking step 3 if i'm not mistaken right? b/c i was thinking maybe going and spending the year off in europe (specifically poland) but was thinking whether i can make myself useful in someway being a doctor by seeing patients and making some kind of money or hell even if i don't make money, just gaining experience and not losing my clinical skills.

any thoughts?
Hey PLS let me know how it goes. I also have NYC and psychiatry and one year off b4 residency as considerations.