Taking a year off before medpeds...Good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kattyboomboom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in applying to medpeds but want to take a year off after graduation to do social determinants of health-type research and clinical volunteering, possibly even get a masters if either of those doesn't pan out. Would that make me a less than ideal candidate for matching a year later, or is it something that medpeds programs would be open to??

Thanks,
Katty

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kathy,

I am actually in this same situation. I will be graduating this year and have committed to doing an MPH fellowship after graduation. I have talked to numerous program directors and there has been some varying thoughts as to whether this is a good idea or not, but for the most part all of them have said that if it is something that you are passionate about and have a good reason for wanting to pursue other ventures before stating residency then go for it. I personally think that what you want to do is great. I think that keeping up your clinical skills by volunteering and such is very important, because that's what most program directors worry about when candidates take time off.

So there are others in your same position, so I say go for it.

Hi,

I'm interested in applying to medpeds but want to take a year off after graduation to do social determinants of health-type research and clinical volunteering, possibly even get a masters if either of those doesn't pan out. Would that make me a less than ideal candidate for matching a year later, or is it something that medpeds programs would be open to??

Thanks,
Katty

Can you do it between MS3 and MS4 instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do it between MS3 and MS4 instead?

I think this would be better. It's the way people usually do stuff like that...or they do the MPH during residency or fellowship. Doing it after graduation wouldn't sink an otherwise strong application, but it's not the way people usually do things, and medicine tends to value conformity. Some PD's might wonder if there is something "wrong" with you or think you didn't match on the 1st go-round, so you might have to end up addressing that fear, though I don't think it would be a huge deal. If this is really what you want to do, though, I guess go for it.

In my experience you can take a year off. This is only my experience so take it or leave it but... I am just starting orientation at my first choice med/peds program. I finished med school in 4 years and took a year off because of changing family situations. There was no emergency... I didn't volunteer, I did nothing medical aside from a two week thing after my interviews. I applied to 32 programs... because I thought it was going to make me an awful candidate having taken a year off. I got 22 interviews, and two rejections and withdrew 8 applications. I attended 14 interviews, not at competitive programs because that's not the environment I was looking for. I ranked 8 programs and matched at my number 1. I had only one PD express any concern about the year off... I even was the one to bring it up in most of my interviews. The one PD who expressed concern is the place I matched. He just felt I might need some extra assistance getting back into medicine. The others I interviewed with didn't seem to care if I had taken a year off or not. Again, I wasn't interested in applying to competitive programs.

Hope that is a bit of encoragement. I know for me I am thankful I took a year off. I feel more than ready to get started and feel well rested and not hurried.

Take care.