Taking a Principles of Evolution course helps MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyPanda

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am taking the following classes this semester:
-Microbiology (with lab 4credits)
-Physics (with lab 4credits)
-Honors Experience Seminar(1credit)
-Honors Leadership Seminar(1credit)
-University Seminar(1credit)
-Scientific Contemporary Readings(1credit)
-Principles of Evolution (3credits)

I thought it would be a good course load because med schools might see the heavy course load, and it might be good information on the MCAT. Then again, I do want to take a break and focus on research, extracurriculars, etc. Although I might not have enough time to do shadowing because I would still have to take classes Monday to Friday!

Any advice is appreciated please! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take it! I took principles of evolution in a semester like that. It’s a great class and not too hard - after all, evolutionary concepts tend to repeat around a central theme. The class was mostly vocabulary and examples. You’ll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
That’s not a heavy course load(imo). It’s 15 hours and you have 4 1 hour seminar courses. It’s been a while for me but seminar classes are more filler. Why are you taking 4 in one semester? Anyway, stick with the evolution class. Not sure it will help with the MCAT but you …

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we have very different definitions on what heavy courseload is because i don’t think that schedule is heavy (you need to look into engineering and math/physics schedules to see what heavy and difficult courseloads are really like). Your current schedule looks fine but it’s ok to scale back and focus on ECs.

The MCAT focuses on critical reasoning skills and you’ll get much better value taking humanities and philosophy courses that emphasize reading and analyzing dense texts than you’ll get from a biology course

That’s not a heavy course load(imo). It’s 15 hours and you have 4 1 hour seminar courses. It’s been a while for me but seminar classes are more filler. Why are you taking 4 in one semester? Anyway, stick with the evolution class. Not sure it will help with the MCAT but you …

I think we have very different definitions on what heavy courseload is because i don’t think that schedule is heavy (you need to look into engineering and math/physics schedules to see what heavy and difficult courseloads are really like). Your current schedule looks fine but it’s ok to scale back and focus on ECs.

The MCAT focuses on critical reasoning skills and you’ll get much better value taking humanities and philosophy courses that emphasize reading and analyzing dense texts than you’ll get from a biology course
This is my second semester, so I'm not familiar with all the classes.Thank you for the feedback though! Since principles of evolution isn't really part of my degree, I think I will drop it. I could definitely use that extra time to study the MCAT and get heavily involved with EC. I will definitely look into philosophy classes too.

P.s. all the seminar classes are required for my degree plan :/

Be careful. If you drop the class you will be barely a full time student. (12 hours) When do you plan to take the MCAT? Are you a freshman? I guess I’m confused by “second semester asa premed student”. How far along are you?

evolution has very little to do with the MCAT. if that's your main reason for taking it, don't bother.

evolution has very little to do with the MCAT. if that's your main reason for taking it, don't bother.
Probably has nothing to do with the MCAT but in OP’s first post he’s talking about “… it would be a good course load because med schools might see the heavy course load,” and just like that he’s down to 12 hours.

Probably has nothing to do with the MCAT but in OP’s first post he’s talking about “… it would be a good course load because med schools might see the heavy course load,” and just like that he’s down to 12 hours.
Yes I was a bit concerned about that, but I figured that in the future I will be taking all my high level division courses (probably all together; I might add a philosophy minor) so I should be able to demonstrate my academic abilities. Thank you for all the help, I appreciate all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.