Officially Taking A Biochem Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeehaw10

Reaction score
I have a professor at my university who has a C- average for his Biochem course and he has a 1.8 star rating on rate my professor. I was wondering if it's worth it to audit the course instead so I don't get a grade that would affect my GPA because I already have a bad grade on my transcript. Would med schools look at if I took biochemistry for an official grade? I took both Ochem classes and a gen chem class so I am finished with the chemistry track. I would not need biochemistry to graduate, it's one of the content areas in my neuroscience major that's not required. Is it worth it to get an actual grade in biochemistry rather than just audit it so I can learn the material for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a professor at my university who has a C- average for his Biochem course and he has a 1.8 star rating on rate my professor. I was wondering if it's worth it to audit the course instead so I don't get a grade that would affect my GPA because I already have a bad grade on my transcript. Would med schools look at if I took biochemistry for an official grade? I took both Ochem classes and a gen chem class so I am finished with the chemistry track. I would not need biochemistry to graduate, it's one of the content areas in my neuroscience major that's not required. Is it worth it to get an actual grade in biochemistry rather than just audit it so I can learn the material for the MCAT?
Auditing a course will not give you a credit on your transcript, and therefore will not meet your prerequisite requirements for med school.
Is there another college where you could take this course?

A lot of med schools WILL require a biochem course (with grade!); take a pass through MSAR specifically to see which ones. Auditing doesn't help you. I assume (unless you go to a tiny liberal arts college) that there's more than 1 professor who's teaching it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Auditing a course will not give you a credit on your transcript, and therefore will not meet your prerequisite requirements for med school.
Is there another college where you could take this course?
It's a course that is offered specifically at my University, and there are only thee other colleges that offer the same course that would cover it. one of those schools are in my own state and I would have to take them in my academic year. The other option I would have would be to take a class through a different college within my University and just not have it count towards my major but still get credit and a grade within that class.

A lot of med schools WILL require a biochem course (with grade!); take a pass through MSAR specifically to see which ones. Auditing doesn't help you. I assume (unless you go to a tiny liberal arts college) that there's more than 1 professor who's teaching it?
You would assume that there would be more than 1 professor, especially for a public college but unfortunately there's only one! Kind of puts a lot of the students in trouble with their grades since he doesn't give out good grades to students.

You would assume that there would be more than 1 professor, especially for a public college but unfortunately there's only one! Kind of puts a lot of the students in trouble with their grades since he doesn't give out good grades to students.
Wow that's odd.

I'd consult with your pre-health advisor. My undergrad had a similar thing but for Orgo where our Orgo 2 was significantly harder than that of other universities, so some would enroll elsewhere to take it over the summer. The advisors said this wasn't advisable as it would be tantamount to "ducking" a harder course but I think it's fine, so long as there are no snafus with your degree. Still, check with your advisor.