T~80(full tuition) vs. Pritzker (half-tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryprairie

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input! Leaving some general info here so this can hopefully still be helpful to others in the future :)

Comparing full tuition scholarship to a school with less research emphasis to Pritzker with a partial scholarship. If costs were equal preference would be Pritzker but not particularly interested in competitive specialties or academic medicine so not sure if Pritzker would be worth 80-100k in loans.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are excited by the novelty of UChicago (and Chicago in general) and are struggling with the choice because of a difference in tuition. Which is not a minor thing.

I think your choice will center around your comfort level with significant debt. The pragmatic choice for many would be to attend the full tuition waiver school in the lower COL area, and this would not be a bad decision. It would also not be a bad decision to move to Chicago and gain new experiences in an exciting institutional environment.

I would not weigh the opinions of online strangers much (many of which will have different priorities than you, coming from many different parts of life... including many who will be younger and more naive, as this is the largest portion of the user base here).

The right decision is the one you make. Make it, and don't look back. If you believe it was the right decision, then it was.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, amazing list of pros and cons. This shows that you are well prepared and regardless of your decision, I believe you will excel no matter what.

IMO the free tuition route is very attractive and will give you a safety net in case anything happens (it's life- there are things we can't predict), and it would also relieve the financial burden from you and your parents. Sure, the class size is big but you will have more opportunity to make friends for social networking and participate in events to destress after a busy day or exam.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptances and well-researched post. As stated above, the decision will come down to how you weigh that debt against the resources in Chicago. The debt is not a small thing, but there is perspective that many students on here take 300-400k in debt, so 80-100k is not attractive, but also not unbearable. Since you seem to prefer Chicago (the better objective option), but worry about the price (which is valid), I would consider these questions:

With the specialties I am likely to choose, how much of a burden will this debt be?
This will contextualize it. Doing GI, surgery, or Neurology vs Pediatrics or Family Medicine changes the weight of that debt.

Will the difference in resources open or close doors for me? How much are the extra resources worth for me personally?
I.E. How much would getting a better residency (in New England?) be worth to me? It's all really a balance of opportunity cost when you compare a T20 with partial scholarship to a lower T(near 100) with a full scholarship. You pay somewhere and it is a matter of preference whether that is in tuition or resources/opportunities/etc. There's a reason one offered a full-ride to try to keep you; they would lose you to better schools otherwise.

Outside of academics, is there a value to me in the geography or situation of either school? If your quality of life would be better in one place, how much would that be worth to you?
Things like urban or not, driving or not, family nearby, opportunities to stay sane during medical school, etc. Inside of academics this could ask about the quality of life in rotation locations or school emphasis. If mental health is important to you, would one school make it easier to maintain your mental health and complete medical school? How much is that worth?

While these are not all of the factors to weigh, hopefully they can be a starting point for you. Instead of taking the opinion of internet strangers, ponder on these questions and weigh the decision yourself. Like in all of life, the cost will be paid somewhere. There is no truly free ride, but you can weight the options and make the decision based on where you would rather pay. Find what feels right and don't worry about it after that. The worst you can do is regret the choice during your medical career.

Reactions: 2 users
I would go with Chicago. The fact that you really dislike driving, really enjoy big cities, and have a supportive family who wants the best for you, makes it seem like an easy choice to me. Your family will reap many benefits just from having a young and well trained physician in the family, and those benefits plus their joy in your success will be more than enough payback for any support they give you. Parents WANT to help their kids. It’s a privilege to be able to. Everything you say really puts Chicago on the upside and only a relatively small amount of money on the downside. Go and enjoy your success!

Reactions: 6 users
You might benefit from/enjoy reading through this post. It is a similar T20 vs MCG post.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words and thoughtful advice! Going to be doing a lot of final reflecting today before the end of the business day, haha. Thanks again!

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words and thoughtful advice! Going to be doing a lot of final reflecting today before the end of the business day, haha. Thanks again!
Choose one deadline is at 4 pm CT just so you know!
Caught me off guard so I ended up making my choice last night when I thought I'd be able to pick tonight

Reactions: 1 users