syperidot....or anyone attending UMDNJ MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms. Dawson DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of your started the program this fall already? If so, can you fill me in on the pros and cons thus far. My sis is trying to determine if she wants to pursue her MS in Biomedical Sciences and I suggested UMDNJ..but really don't know much about it.
Hit me back!

Also how hard was it to get in? She can't seem to find the application on line. Does she need a MCAT or is GRE suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Ms. Dawson,
It's not very hard to get into. I think they accept most students and most students are doing this program to get into medical or dental school. I'm currently taking three classes, one of which is medical biochemistry that we take with the med students. I just had my first exam today and it wasn't too bad at all. The good thing about this program is that they don't overload you with coursework...that way you have plenty of time to study for all your classes. The program is also very cheap and you definitely have a very good chance of getting into UMDNJ Med if you do well in the program, since it shows the med schools that you can handle med level classes. Most grad classes are held in the evening, but since I"m taking medical biochem I have that class every morning from 9-10 or 9-11. Unlike other master programs, I would say this program is not as intensive, since I know most other master programs make students take practically all their classes with med students. In a way this program is good because I have an advantage over the other med students, since I only have to focus on one hard class while they have anatomy to worry about as well. In fact, it is said that the grad students set the curve;)

Oh I forgot to answer your other questions...Yes they accept both MCATs and GREs, and I think I found the application online. You can always call the school to mail you one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you post a link for it? I tried googling and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Hi,

I almost enrolled in the MS program at UMDNJ but withdrew for personal reasons. I don't have the link to the program at the moment but you can definitely do a search on AAMC website, just type in post-baccalaureate program. Hope this helps. Good luck!

anyone have any stats for how successful they are at getting folk into med school? i'm hoping it's better than the NYMC program's 25% (to quote the program director)

Originally posted by LordoftheFries
anyone have any stats for how successful they are at getting folk into med school? i'm hoping it's better than the NYMC program's 25% (to quote the program director)

I spoke with the program director a while back, and he said the following: folks that do very well in the program (>3.5) generally get accepted into several medical schools, including the two NJ medical schools. He estimated that ~80% of all students in the program that apply get in somewhere, either allopathic or osteopathic.

I can't speak for Robert Wood Johnson, but I definitely know a bunch of folks from the MS program that were accepted to NJMS this past year. I think your chances of acceptance at NJMS are very high, provided you do well in both the medical and graduate courses you take.

Anyone have the program directors name or email address?

Is it really true that i can take classes at night?

Good luck to you all who need to rehab their undergrad record like me :(

Yeah most grad classes are offered in the evening usually from 6-9pm, uncless you wanna take med school classes. The director's name is Nicholas Ingoglia. His email is [email protected].

what are the requirement to get into this program what is the cutoff score on the mcat and gpa cutoff? any ideas?

thanks

for anyone who is currently pursuing the MS in Biomedical Sciences or has completed the program, what courses do you need to take to complete the program? they are not listed on the website. thanks!

-gen

I think the MS program is fairly easy to get into. They accept MCAT or GRE scores. I don't know if there is a GPA cut off cause most students in this program are here to improve their grades. I had a 29 on my mcats and a 3.2 gpa, and had already gotten an interview for umdnj, got waitlisted and then rejected. And if u do have a low gpa or test scores, there is also a pre-ms program, where you're not officially enrolled as a masters student but get to take classes with master students and if you do well in the grad classes you eventually get into the MS program. And there are two tracks..the thesis and non-thesis tracks. If you're on the non-thesis track you have to complete a total of 30 credits and for a thesis track you need 25 credits plus a thesis. And this program usually takes 3 semesters. You can finish it in two but it's still the same tuition.
Hope this all helps.

I think the MS program is fairly easy to get into. They accept MCAT or GRE scores. I don't know if there is a GPA cut off cause most students in this program are here to improve their grades. I had a 29 on my mcats and a 3.2 gpa, and had already gotten an interview for umdnj, got waitlisted and then rejected. And if u do have a low gpa or test scores, there is also a pre-ms program, where you're not officially enrolled as a masters student but get to take classes with master students and if you do well in the grad classes you eventually get into the MS program. And there are two tracks..the thesis and non-thesis tracks. If you're on the non-thesis track you have to complete a total of 30 credits and for a thesis track you need 25 credits plus a thesis. And this program usually takes 3 semesters. You can finish it in two but it's still the same tuition.
Hope this all helps.

Originally posted by generation2MD?
for anyone who is currently pursuing the MS in Biomedical Sciences or has completed the program, what courses do you need to take to complete the program? they are not listed on the website. thanks!

-gen

Ok, so the umdnj website is down right now, so I can't give you the link for course requirements.. it's up there, though--check out the link earlier in this thread. I believe the course offerings are also on the website for fall & spring semesters.

Unless things have recently changed, you must take a biochemistry course (either medical biochemistry or the "CORE" course), a research rotation, and a seminar course in any department you choose. The rest of your courses are up to you. I took biochem and physio with the med students, and the rest of my courses were grad courses. I didn't do a thesis, but as was mentioned in the previous post, you can substitute 5 credits of coursework with thesis work.

Hey abbeacon,

What did u think of physio...how much harder than biochem is it really because Ingoglia says its very intense. So I decided not to register for it, but am taking Medical Neuro instead next semester. Do u recommend physio or not?

does anyone know exactly how long the program is...is it similar to Georgetown and Drexel's programs? Also, is it only offered in Newark? thanks

Originally posted by syperidot
Hey abbeacon,

What did u think of physio...how much harder than biochem is it really because Ingoglia says its very intense. So I decided not to register for it, but am taking Medical Neuro instead next semester. Do u recommend physio or not?

I thought physio was definitely harder than biochem, but much more interesting and certainly manageable.. I felt biochem was just about memorizing tons of minutae, while physio involved studying principles that were actually applicable to medicine. I heard that they're combining ctb and physio next semester into one course, so I wonder how that will work for grad students.

I'd definitely try to get into physio if you can, as you'll really benefit from the class, both in med school and if you have to retake the mcat (I retook the mcat in august, and hardly studied for the bio section b/c of biochem & physio). I opted against taking genetics and neuro b/c I heard they were really intense (I assume they're still cramming those classes into 3-4 weeks, right?).

What other classes have you taken in the program, and what are you planning to take next sem? Are you finishing it in one year (i.e., applying now), or applying in the 2005 cycle?

abbeacon

Originally posted by camisho
does anyone know exactly how long the program is...is it similar to Georgetown and Drexel's programs? Also, is it only offered in Newark? thanks

The program is 30-credits, which is usually taken over 3 semesters (although it's possible to complete in 2 semesters). Either way, you still pay the same "program fee" for the entire program. I can't speak for gtown/drexel's programs, unfortunately. The program is only offered in Newark, which may be an initial turnoff for some. However, I've never had any problems with the areas surrounding the Newark campus, and think the school and adjoining hospital provide solid academic and clinical opportunities for their students..

abbeacon

I just wanna state I am deeply upset at UMDNJ Graduate School of Biomedical Science's level of administrative organization. They are very unelpful people and are only looking out for themselves. They have made an error in my student account and I am ending up paying massively for it and there is nothing they are doing about it. I feel they're just trying to save their butts and making me pay for it. Cause the money is not coming out from their pockets so they don't give a damn. And believe me I've spoken to many people from the school who agree with me but cannot do anything, and the people who can won't listen to me.
I ONLY recommend going to this school as a LAST RESORT. I REALLY REGRET enrolling in the grad program. So for all those people thinking of applyin here DON'T. The neighborhood is terrible. Every time I go to McD's there's some random person asking me for money. In fact a woman wouldn't leave me alone until I have her a dollar. The facilities aren't the greatest either and money is really tight in all the departments...OVERALL.. The school SUCKS!!!!!