Sydney notification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I think pitman's post has several errors, so be careful! His links are good, so use it to confirm what has been stated.

Here are the few errors from my own research:
Subclass is 574 NOT 573. This was specifically stated for Flinders (in their acceptance package, Pitman can check his too), unless Sydney is different, but I doubt it. Even though it is BMBS, you still apply under 574.

USA citizens cannot apply online because their assessment level is not assessment level 1. Only Canadians and some other countries can do so online.

The good thing for US (anyone applying from here at least, not necessarily citizens only) is that you can get your health screening anywhere you want.

Please again, double check all the info you get online. The links pitman sent should help you. As for the subclass, go ahead and check with Sydney (if they reply :) ).

I've gotten my eVisa. It takes them only one day after receiving the medical records to approve, or a total of only one week from initial application online to finish processing. I'm a citizen of a country that is at assessment level 1, of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Pitman and tl47, thanks for useful visa information. So anyone know if U. Sydney Faculty of medicine will be subclass 573 or 574? I keep getting message that says, "Your application cannot be accepted online as the Department has not been able to identify you. Please apply at an office of this Department. " Did anone else get this message? I live in U.S. right now, but my passport is Japan right now, so there shouldn't be assesment problem. I emailed evisa help desk, but they are closed for weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew why I get ths message.

I know that MBBS GMp prg is a graduate level course. but its an undergrad degree. I called the folks at Aussie Embassy. They said as an MBBS student, we need to file out 573 form!
henceforth i went on with my apllication. I didnt get anything from USyd suggesting what category of visa application needed to be filed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the visa help line (for the millionth time this week) and the woman there said I needed to fill out 573 if it isn't a masters degree or a PhD. She first told me to ask my university; said that they would be able to best guide me; however, I explained to her that the IO office at USyd is not the quickest in replying. So, I'm not sure if 573 is the correct subclass or if she just wanted to give me some answer.

Also, my friend who is going to flinders told me 574, but as tl47 pointed out Flinders specifically states that in their forms, USyd doesn't state anything either way.

If anyone knows answers to all the visa and financial aid questions...post away!

Originally posted by bgeez
I know that MBBS GMp prg is a graduate level course. but its an undergrad degree. I called the folks at Aussie Embassy. They said as an MBBS student, we need to file out 573 form!
henceforth i went on with my apllication. I didnt get anything from USyd suggesting what category of visa application needed to be filed.

The MD in North America is actually still an undergraduate degree... it's more of a professional degree designation.

Go here, Faculty of Medicine of Memorial University

www.mun.ca/regoff/calenda...ctives.htm

"

In contrast to many other schools, the class size at the University's Medical School is small. This permits ready contact between students and faculty, and has obvious advantages in clinical teaching. At present normally 60 students are admitted annually to the first year of the undergraduate medical program.

"

And read what it says at the top here:
http://www.med.ubc.ca/md/financialAssistance/aftergraduation.htm

You can enter into a medical school without requiring an undergraduate degree...

A Ph.D is a true doctorate. One only has to wonder why there is a MD/Ph.D program if it was a graduate degree.

Originally posted by Jatpot
...So, I'm not sure if 573 is the correct subclass or if she just wanted to give me some answer.

Also, my friend who is going to flinders told me 574, but as tl47 pointed out Flinders specifically states that in their forms, USyd doesn't state anything either way.

If anyone knows answers to all the visa and financial aid questions...post away!

I have no idea why Flinders would say 574, b.c. med programs lead to the bachelor's, and bachelor's => 573. Also, you can search for the subclass by program, for example med at UQ:

http://cricos.dest.gov.au/asp/CourseDetails.asp?CC=001955G

(this was from my bookmarks, as the site is down today, but you can search for your particular program).

Originally posted by Blackjack16
..I keep getting message that says, "Your application cannot be accepted online as the Department has not been able to identify you. Please apply at an office of this Department. " Did anone else get this message? I live in U.S. right now, but my passport is Japan right now, so there shouldn't be assesment problem. I emailed evisa help desk, but they are closed for weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew why I get ths message.

I don't know why you got that, procedures may be different for Japanese visa holders. Or, it may be that USyd, as with everything administrative, is behind the ball and hasn't registered your CoE code with the govt(?), in which case if the online app instantly looks you up via the code, you're not identifyable.

Well, again, check with Sydney U would probably be best. If they say 573, then go with that.

Flinders is certainly 574 --- rechecked, they actually devoted a whole paragraph to explain that although it is undergraduate, you should apply under 574. There might be some reasons for them to put it in a different subclass (tax? or funding? not sure). But I suspect the COE will be tied to the subclass... So, it is conceivable that it would differ from school to school.

Still, pitman, you sound like you have gotten your Visa online, but I'll be surprised if you managed to get it online as a US citizen... unless you are not, of course. Maybe the Oz's need to update their website/legal documents to reflect that US is now able to apply under assessment 1. Or at least, the online app should say it is ok for assessment 1 AND US citizens...

Good luck to all...

Pitman, thanks for the link to cricos... but then it doesn't say subclass on the page. Bachelor's yes... but not subclass. Flinders already said it was a Bachelor's degree, but specifically said to use 574... I'm hoping Flinders isn't wrong on this :). Anyway, I have my visa, so shouldn't be a problem.

Also, the cost info seems out of date for Flinders. Oh well... maybe that's what the locals are paying.

BTW, congrats for USyd admission, right? Sounds like you got admitted. Sorry if that's wrong. I have lost all internet connection except when I'm at a Starbucks or a Borders (wifi). So, I don't check around as much.

Yeah, I just went back to the cricos site, it doesn't say the subclass. But I SWEAR somewhere on the .gov.au sites it says medical degrees are 573! Damned confusing sites, though, can't they reference all the pertinent info on a single page?? Oh well, do whatever the school says. I was able to do electronic filing though, as assessment level 1 subclass 573 as an American. Passed the review process, got the med forms, am now waiting to get my exams this week (delayed due to blizzard/Nor'easter here in Boston!)

No, I didn't get accepted to USyd. In fact, I never got an official rejection that I was told would come in the mail. I emailed and called and emailed after their self-imposed stated deadline, explaining I needed a decision within the next week before the impending UQ deposit (giving myself a day of slack), and when I didn't get an answer over the week (actually, after 5 days I got an email saying, "All notices went out in the mail last Friday. You should be hearing within two weeks" -- how's that for typically not answering the question!?!?), I went for UQ. A couple days later, I called USyd to register a complaint and finally got an "unofficial" rejection by someone filling in for Victoria who was willing to sneak me the info, but again with a claim I'd get the official notice in the mail. I'm pretty sure I pissed off the dean of admissions and dean of students on my interview though, asking them to explain the missed deadlines, lack of timely communications, and some other self-defeating behavior (it had already become such an issue that I figured either I'd get satisfactory assurances, or they'd be petty). Some day I'll write up a detailed account of my experience with the schools and the interviews, etc., for posterity ;)

Good luck at Flinders -- I really liked their professionalism and approach (particularly Tony Edwards and Tim Neild), just not the city of Adelaide. But we'll be in touch..maybe to form an int'l student activist society ;)

-pitman

Did any of you encounter a "invalid COE" message when trying to submit your visa app online?
What did you do?

Originally posted by miler
Did any of you encounter a "invalid COE" message when trying to submit your visa app online?
What did you do?

Didn't get this, but it could be (if you're USyd?) that USyd screwed up and didn't register the CoE's with DIMIA (possible the same thing happened to Blackjack, above)...wouldn't surprise me considering how disorganized their adm. dept is. Call the med school ASAP and demand to get an answer while you wait (they'll never return your call).

-pitman

I talked to Grace Li in the IO at USYD and she called the Australian Embassy, and then called me back saying that it takes about 48 hrs for the ECOE to go into their system. So, hopefully that is the case....

Should have thought of that...bypass the med school altogether ;)