Sydney notification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 6 weeks quote was specific to Canada from what I understood and it represented an absolute maximum. If you aren't Canadian then you may not know how slow things often work here when it is government related. Maybe our gov. has rubbed off on the consulate here, maybe it took that long once in the past? Who knows?

As for UQ, I was a little cheesed about their big deposit as well. I am using IEFC and I am waiting for this to be processed. It took several phone calls and emails to find out that you can deposit a much smaller fee to become enrolled while they straighten out their end of the processing of the loan. I found it somewhat amusing that the process of simply paying the school is not even straight-forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by markdc
The 6 weeks quote was specific to Canada from what I understood and it represented an absolute maximum. If you aren't Canadian then you may not know how slow things often work here when it is government related. Maybe our gov. has rubbed off on the consulate here, maybe it took that long once in the past? Who knows?[/i]

Oh ok, well, in that case, I hope not.

As for UQ, I was a little cheesed about their big deposit as well. I am using IEFC and I am waiting for this to be processed. It took several phone calls and emails to find out that you can deposit a much smaller fee to become enrolled while they straighten out their end of the processing of the loan. I found it somewhat amusing that the process of simply paying the school is not even straight-forward.

That is certainly disconcerting.

But I have a question about the entire process to apply to Au's schools by way of ACER. I read in their catalogue that you apply to schools, ( I applied to ANU and Usyd). The person I'm in correspondence with at ACER told me that the process works as the following:

Application is submitted. Acer forwards application to 1st choice school. 1st choice school decides- interview offered or not. If not, then the 1st choice school sends the application onto the 2nd choice school. In the process, 1st choice school notifies applicant of rejection of application and subsequent forwarding to 2nd choice school. HOWEVER, what happens if the 1st school decides to offer interview? Then does the 2nd choice school never get to see the application?

And another question: reading these forums, I've noticed many of you posters here have applied to more than 2 schools at once. Did you apply via ACER or by another way?

I'm pretty sure that if you get an interview at the first school ACER does not forward your form to the second school.

Personally, I applied directly to U.Syd and Flinders and chose UQ as a first choice on the ACER form. My second choice was Melb., but I didn't get an interview there. I am guessing that ACER never forwarded my app there since UQ offered an interview. Since I received interviews at 3 out of the 4 schools I'm assuming that this is the case and that Melb never knew about my potential interest.

As far as I remember you can apply directly to ANU directly as well. In theory you could apply to 3 schools directly and 2 on the ACER form and get a maximum of 4 interviews. I had a particular school in mind based on what I've researched and which one had the most to offer me personally, but it is always good to have a backup plan. (And a backup for the backup :) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Jade Tigress
And another question: reading these forums, I've noticed many of you posters here have applied to more than 2 schools at once. Did you apply via ACER or by another way?

USyd and Flinders allow you to apply using their own applications, not sure about ANU. So w/ your ACER choice, there's a max of 3-4 grad programs you can apply to.

-pitman

Originally posted by markdc

Also, if you make the full deposit, UQ allows you to get a full refund up until classes start. The only potential problem with either of these is that you sorta screw UQ with their admissions, but this a personal ethics issue.

I decided not to screw UQ just b.c. USyd was screwing me..

-pitman

Well, last night I got fed up. USyd hasn't kept its word for a single date, either doesn't respond or doesn't respond in a timely manner to emails or phone messages, and doesn't EVER answer the actual questions I ask via email (over a dozen of them, since 10 months ago when I first inquired about the school).

I'm assuming the letter that's 'on the way' is a rejection, but if not, then too bad. I decided to accept another offer, b.c. I really am sick of the never-ending unprofessionalism.

-pitman

Good on you, pitman. Lucky you had a backup -- I applied only to USyd because I truly didn't want to go anywhere else. Regret that currently -- but no worries. If you don't mind me asking, are you a non-trad student?

So where to, pitman?

Yes, pitman is non-traditional, according to his other posts.

Who else is coming to UQ???

I'll come out and explain my reasoning after I've had a chance to write an email to the school I'm turning down.

I'm 35, so in that sense am non-traditional.

texasblue -- good luck with Sydney. I don't think they're not right for other candidates, but I personally put a lot of weight on how I "feel" about a school and its people.

-pitman

Pitman,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems regarding Usyd's unprofessionalism. I hope that you have a much better time and experience at UQ.

For others, I have yet another question (sorry!) ::Sheepish look::

If you can apply directly to the schools, what is the point of having ACER?

And if what pitman and markdc said is true (which btw, thank you for that bit of information), then one school will never see your application. Isn't that a bit unfair and a waste of money then?

Why send there if you know that one school won't be evaluating your application?

UQ and Melbourne only use ACER so there is no other option. U. Syd, Flinders and ANU (I think) allow for direct applications. The ACER system seems a little strange to me as well. We have a certralized application system in Ontario but they don't prevent you from getting interviews at your 2nd or 3rd choice of schools.

Domestic students must use ACER. They specify 3 preferences, with at most one interview per candidate, probably so schools don't have to interview 3-4 times as many applicants. If a school doesn't want to interview you, they pass you down the list; if the school that interviews you doesn't want you, then they pass their info to the next school in the list, but I'm not sure how they would relay meaningful interview results.

The odd part to me is that there are schools who require ACER for int'l applicants, putting themselves at a disadvantage. But as UQ admitted to me, they're a little behind in marketing savvy compared to USyd and Flinders, and I'd expect them to ramp up efforts over the next few years. I'm sure I'll try to effect better policies while I'm there ;)

-pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not know that domestic students were required to use ACER. I suppose that makes sense, but for Intl's using it, hmm, politics, oh well.

Thanks for the info. I emailed them again today, lets hope I get a response in a faster time than the last time. Last time I emailed them on July 24 and got a resonse on Aug 14th.

oh well. Best of luck Pitman.

Markdc,

the visa process is damn slow in Canada. I had to go to some doctor somewhere in Toronto that cost quite a bit of money. I had to get a checkup from him and a chest x ray...and since i was working at the time I had to book them at least a couple of weeks apart. Then it took about 6 weeks to get the visa...all in all it took probably more than 6 weeks including all the checkups.

Hi guys,

I interviewed in san fran the middle of september and got my acceptance to Usyd on oct 10 ( via email, it followed in the mail a week later). According to the offer I have until december 1 to accept (ie give them first semester fees) so if you haven't heard from them perhaps that's a good thing, you're probably on the wait list depending on whether the first round of offers are accepted.

I got my rejection letter from Sydney yesterday; I'm not sure why I was rejected and they say they won't tell applicants why either.

Today, tho I got an acceptance to one of my top US schools so I am not too bummed I guess. Still, Bondi sounded pretty good to this chick-let. :D

I received an offer via email two days ago; don't know if that's considered last minute...it sure feels like it w/everything I have to do to prepare!

Yep --- I received an offer on Monday as well. The next deadline is Dec. 11th I'm assuming for next round.

Congrats Jatpot and Texasblue!

I'll see you in Sydney if you decide to accept.

I don't think you guys are behind at all... I got my acceptance in October but didn't decide to go until the last minute.

I still have exams to write too so I've put off Visa applications etc.

Thanks caribou! I have accepted, and am shooting towards arriving within the first few days of Feb. I have to find an apartment!

Just my advice: I spoke with the Australian Visa questions hotline people yesterday (probably not their official title-ha ha), and they suggested I get moving on the application. They say I have enough time, as it takes 4 weeks to process, but it will actually take longer than that, as they have to send medical forms (you can't get them online), after they receive your request for them--which can take up to 3 weeks. Anyways, I'm an American, and I don't know if you are, so things may be different for you, but I just wanted to offer that bit of counsel.

My friend who is going to Flinders told me that they require he show up and enroll in classes before they sit down with him and process his financial aid. Does anyone know if this is true for USyd as well??? I see how it would protect them from people who take the money and never show up to Oz; just wondering what the inside knowledge is on that.

Thanks all.

congrats jatpot and texasblue...will see you guys in sydney!!
anyone found any good apartments? i m not so keen on living on campus...

Jatpot,
We have to wait until we have our ECOE before we can apply for the Visa, correct? What # did you call to get the info from the Australian Visa people? I need to call them as well. Is there an Australian Consulate in Chicago that we could go to for this?
Thanks.

btw, your eCOE will be sent (also addressed) to the embassy in DC. I had asked for the Chicago consulate. I guess they dont work with visas.

That # is correct--that's the one I called. Also, you are right--the Chicago consulate is of no use to us, sadly. Everything has to go through Washington DC.

The eCOE will be forwarded on to them; I'll probably throw a copy of mine in w/my Visa app, just to be safe.

I'm calling the visa people today to find out if it is better to request the med forms first, wait for them, and then send the whole app. in, or if it is better to send everything except the med forms and then wait for the med forms and send them. I'll let you know what they say.

Tina

Looking forward to seeing you all in Sydney!

I'm not living on campus -- no way in hell. There's loads of affordable housing all over Sydney. Just get there before the rush of EVERY other student. Look at the Sydney Morning Herald, I think.

Any one with later acceptances hear anything about this anatomy class? Or anyone with earlier acceptances taking it????

By the way, I'm headed to Sydney Monday to sort out all of this stuff in person since they are really slow at responding to email and whatnot.

If anyone has any questions they'd like an answer to -- let me know and I'll find out what I can. I know I have a list that is quite long already.

Jatpot,
I think that USyd processes the Financial Aid before you get there, I'm just having difficulty trying to get the amounts of it figured out.

Texasblue, I will be taking the Anatomy Course in Jan, I thought it would be a good way to break myself in to the Aussie system.
What are you going to do with financial aid checks? Are you going to open a bank account at a bank or credit union when you get there?

Miler -- I have an account in New Zealand that I think I can get transferred to a Sydney branch. I am also keeping as much money in my US account as possible because I am PRAYING the US dollar will go up at SOME POINT. I'll have everything paid to my US account and wired to Australia as needed.

I'm keen to take the anatomy course. I'll find out Monday, I guess.

Is anatomy required, or just a good idea as a refresher or for people who never took it?

I took an anatomy class in college and then a dissection course the following semester. I loved it. There is no way I can make it down this January, do you know if it is offered at other times?

Tina

It is not required, and as of right now I think they are just offering it during the summer term. I just felt it would be a good refresher course.

Miler -- How much is the anatomy course and when does it start?

Miler -- you're the keen triathlete, yes?

Texasblue,
Yeah, I'm pretty much addicted to triathlons. Its in my blood. Why do you ask?

We don't actually have to go to the Washington DC consulate to get out Visa do we? Sorry, all of this is so new to me I really don't know where to start.

Miler -- just remember reading a post somewhere because you were asking about cycling and your bike -- anyone who's first concern is taking a bike has the right frame of mind. Sydney is a freaking mecca with the mountains. Good on ya. Are you competitive or just personal gain?

You don't have to go to DC BUT I can tell you from a friend's experience (I accompanied them as I lived in DC at this time) if you are near there it is WORTH the drive into DC to take care of it. Literally takes them 20 minutes to process it. Saves LOADS of time and hassle of mailing, blah blah blah. They are NOT helpful as they have restricted operating hours and whatnot.

I actually had a question about bringing my bike. I like to ride in the mountains, and have a decent bike--miler, did you find anything out about shipping the bike to Oz? I have to figure out how to bring my snowboard as well, but that is less pressing, as it will be summer when I arrive. Don't really want to buy them both again!

Any info is appreciated,

Tina

Hey Tina -- regarding a bike. Get it boxed and take it with you on the plane. I think when I brought mine to NZ it cost me $80 as "excess sports baggage" -- which is lovely because it doesn't go against your baggage limit on the flight. Probably can do the snowboard as well, as long as you have a lift from the airport! If you are shipping a freight box to Oz with your stuff, stick the snowboard in there and call it a day.

Yes, that is the way I plan on shipping my bike as well. If you go to any local bike shop they will have tons of bike boxes that bikes were shipped to them in, and they usually just thow them away. Take apart your bike and go crazy with the bubble wrap and/or styrofoam and you should be just fine getting your bike there.
You can actually buy hardshell bike boxes, but they are very large, and quite expensive.

Texasblue, I am pretty serious about triathlons and bike racing. This upcoming season will be my first racing professionally, and I'm looking forward to getting beat up on by the Aussies (some of the best pro triathletes in the world call Sydney home!) I must admit that in addition to the school itself the sporting location was another big draw for USyd to me. The hot, humid location of Sydney will also be good prep to get ready for the US Olympic trials which are in Hawaii in April. I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have to train, though. I guess it will be a lesson in time management.

Does anyone know many miles (or K's) USyd's campus is from the mountains?
Thanks

texasblue, wow u leaving so soon! please let me know about off campus apartments when u get there. i really dont want to llive in dorms again. thanks for the help....

hey miler, did u get a temporary or permanent accomodation at SUV?

Miler -- the triathlon scene is ridiculous down here -- and that's a good thing. The Aussies and Kiwis are the leaders in the sport(well, save the Canadian couple). Have you sorted out which club or team you'd be affiliated with? I'm not into triathlons or competing competitively (even though I've given serious consideration for cycling) but I enjoy riding and running. It's the damn swimming that kills me.
I think you'll have enough time to train well, and you couldn't have picked a better location.
How long are the trials in Hawaii -- as in how many days do you have to be there?

I finally got my eCOE today. However, I'm so lost right now. U. of Sydney only gave me address of U.S. DIMA. It doesn't even have phone #... I went DIMA web site, but I'm still lost... Can we apply for our visa online?

Originally posted by Blackjack16
I finally got my eCOE today. However, I'm so lost right now. U. of Sydney only gave me address of U.S. DIMA. It doesn't even have phone #... I went DIMA web site, but I'm still lost... Can we apply for our visa online?

Yes.

http://www.dimia.gov.au/e_visa/students.htm

(Note that you will be in visa subclass 573 -- needed for the application).

HOWEVER, I'd recommend first downloading and reading forms 1025i, 1160i, 1163i, and 1219i from:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/forms_num1.htm

And also read this page:
http://www.immi.gov.au/study/visas/subclasses_assessment.htm

Don't try to look for and download the medical exam forms -- you won't be able to get them until you complete the application. In the meantime you may want to schedule an appointment with a radiologist to give you a chest xray, who will then give the results directly to your primary physician who will be doing your med exam. Note however that both will need the required med forms at the time of your visit(s).

-pitman

Originally posted by Jatpot

Anyways, I'm an American, and I don't know if you are, so things may be different for you, but I just wanted to offer that bit of counsel.

Oh thanks for the heads up Jatpot. I'm not too worried about the visa because I'm Canadian and I've heard the online application is quite easy and takes 5-10 days to process.

I've been putting everything off because I'm knee deep in exams right now... not that they matter but still.. you want to do well.
:)

I'm not looking forward to finding housing.

Are all of you going to get there first and then find housing off-campus? That's what I'm planning on doing.

You're welcome caribou. I didn't know we could apply online pitman; oh well, I've already downloaded, printed, and filled in almost the entire form, so I might as well send it in the mail now!

Caribou--I am planning on arriving and staying in either temporary housing (at SUV or a dorm) or a hostel, and hopefully finding an apartment my first week there. I am looking online at domain.com.au, and will have a few apartments in mind when I arrive.

Tina

Texasblue,
I have no idea which triathlon team to race for. I would like to find a good group of motivated people to train with though. Any ideas about teams or groups?

bgeez,
I will be living at SUV for the whole year. I figured first year it would just be easiest, and then for the second year once I can get around and know the city well I will find something off campus. SUV has been very receptive and accomodating to me, so that has been nice.

Pitman,
I'm not sure how you know all of this stuff, but I sure am glad that you do.
Thanks for the links.