Switching to ortho in August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaBulldog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been having second thoughts about applying to EM for months. Really didn't enjoy my home rotation and I'm having a similar experience on my away right now. Orthopedic injuries have actually been the highlight of most of my ED shifts. I've always been interested in surgery, was president of trauma and surgery interest groups at my school. Mid-240s on boards, 10 publications, 2 first author, excellent letters from EM rotations. I took a year off between 3rd and 4th year to recover from a post-op infection and subsequent lumbar fusion. Honestly didn't know if I'd ever be the same after that ordeal, but I've felt great for 6 months, I'm back in the gym and have no problem standing for 8-10 hours in the ED.

Still waiting to hear back from my home ortho program's leadership. Anyone have experience with switching specialties this late in the game? Is this even feasible if I immediately start my ortho SUBI in late August and then scramble to find an externship?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been having second thoughts about applying to EM for months. Really didn't enjoy my home rotation and I'm having a similar experience on my away right now. Orthopedic injuries have actually been the highlight of most of my ED shifts. I've always been interested in surgery, was president of trauma and surgery interest groups at my school. Mid-240s on boards, 10 publications, 2 first author, excellent letters from EM rotations. I took a year off between 3rd and 4th year to recover from a post-op infection and subsequent lumbar fusion. Honestly didn't know if I'd ever be the same after that ordeal, but I've felt great for 6 months, I'm back in the gym and have no problem standing for 8-10 hours in the ED.

Still waiting to hear back from my home ortho program's leadership. Anyone have experience with switching specialties this late in the game? Is this even feasible if I immediately start my ortho SUBI in late August and then scramble to find an externship?

It's possible I would think. I did my home rotation in August and an away in September and October. I was able to get letters submitted from my first two rotations.

Take it for what it's worth. I did this in 2006, and it may be tough to get Ortho rotations last minute.

Thanks! A couple current residents have told me it will be tough, but not necessarily impossible. Assuming I can nail down a SUBI at my home program starting end of August and an away September-October, will I be able to get interview invites even though I'm applying late? I know most applicants do 2-3 aways, will I be screwed if I only do one?

Members don't see this ad :)
The rate limiting step would be getting letters. I would think you would have enough time to get them and submit them if you do rotations in August and September.

You wouldn't be "screwed" if you only do one away if you have a good application but obviously you have a better chance of matching at programs where you rotate. I would do two away rotations if you can.

Just to piggyback on this thread: do you need all your letters from ortho surgeons or can you have letters from general surgeons from your surgery rotation in 3rd year as well?

I think it's high preferable that all your letters be from Ortho surgeons who can attest to how well you've performed on their rotations and their expectations for you to be a great resident/physician. The only time a non-ortho would be valuable, IMO, is in the rare case that you'll need a non-ortho letter for an application. UCSF has this as a requirement. I can't recall if there are any other programs.

All that being said, if you're struggling for letters, an amazing letter from your gen surg rotation may still be regarded better than a lukewarm or poor letter from an Ortho doc.

Reactions: 1 user