switching residencies from TRI to 2ndyr IM or FP possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if I do TRI this year can I switch to 2nd year IM or FP residency next year?
How often do 2nd year spots become available?
Would residency consider a Traditional internship year as an acceptable replacement for 1st year of IM or FP?

I am limited in moving due to family situation and have to stay in NY, I am expecting my step 2 scores back in couple of days and have to try to find a residency out of match. I am a Osteopathic Med student. where are the sources that I check for open residency spots?

I know about
http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm
and that is about it...

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you absolutely can. I am a TRI now and one of my co-TRI's got a second year allo FP spot. I've heard of this happening for other TRIs as well so it seems to be a fairly common occurrence. I don't know this for certain but I feel like FP is more open to accepting a TRI as an equivalent to pgy1 year than IM. In any case people change their minds more than you might think and second year spots definitely open up. If you're limited geographically it might be a little harder to find a second year spot though.

If I were you I would try to do a TRI at a place that has IM/FP residencies and see if something internally opens up that you can slip into. I would also recommend applying for pgy1 positions again. I've heard of people being offered pgy2 spots on the interview trail when they reapply.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

considering all residencies are only one year contract at the time is there anything stopping you from switching your residency if there is another residency program ready to take you?