Switching into Ortho with EM board cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSRA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say for the sake of argument that I finished an EM residency, but had decided that I wanted to pursue Orthopedics. Not something I did as a student in MS, but absolutely loved my month of Ortho as an EM resident. How much of an issue do you guys think this might be to hang a residency spot from an institutional standpoint? I understand that my funding would be less than a student straight out of school. My board scores are competitive Step 1 247, Step 2 259, AOA. I had some research as MS in ENT and lab crap. I just loved ortho. Spent time in OR etc. Just considering.

My wife and I hashed this out multiple times my ortho month, but she honestly doesn't want me doing a brutal residency, and the lifestyle is also an issue with her. I just freaking hate the thought of there being a field that I truly love and I'm doing something that I only tolerate.

thanks for input,

csra

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say for the sake of argument that I finished an EM residency, but had decided that I wanted to pursue Orthopedics. Not something I did as a student in MS, but absolutely loved my month of Ortho as an EM resident. How much of an issue do you guys think this might be to hang a residency spot from an institutional standpoint? I understand that my funding would be less than a student straight out of school. My board scores are competitive Step 1 247, Step 2 259, AOA. I had some research as MS in ENT and lab crap. I just loved ortho. Spent time in OR etc. Just considering.

My wife and I hashed this out multiple times my ortho month, but she honestly doesn't want me doing a brutal residency, and the lifestyle is also an issue with her. I just freaking hate the thought of there being a field that I truly love and I'm doing something that I only tolerate.

thanks for input,

csra

Not easy. My knowledge on this is limited but I think funding is the big issue. I believe you'd have to secure 5 years of funding from somewhere if you complete the EM residency. I think the program itself normally pays the bill. It has been done before but I think it's pretty tough. You have to find a program that's willing to invest in you or somehow doesn't notice the funding thing until it's too late and their stuck with you. A tricky game to play.

The other thing is the competitiveness of ortho, which compounds with the above issue. Your scores are about average for ortho, and you'd probably need to do some ortho research to be "competitive." So unfortunately I think the reality of the situation is most likely applying to like every single program out there and crossing your fingers, with some additional resume padding that may or may not pay off. Some of the elders here can correct me if i'm wrong

Last edited:

thanks for input,

csra

Looking at the charting outcomes for the match for 2009, it looks like an uphill battle. While your step I and II scores are significantly higher than the average matched US senior, you will be an "independent applicant", and while your scores are much higher than the average of that group, the match rate for IA is 42%.

Funding will be an issue, but if the institution really wants you, they will make the funding happen.

I have a friend who recently went through a similar switch to a competitive field, and she was successful. However, the funding issue blocked her at one potential place.

Good luck.