Suture Kits Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have absolutely no confidence in my suturing skills. Politely declined to close very superficial inch-long incisions on a patient's head when asked by attending telling them I don't want to hurt the patient. TBH I need help with 'relearning' how to suture again.

Can someone recommend a commercial kit (free or not too expensive) that I can purchase to practice all the basic knots, etc before I start intern year? I have finished my surgical rotations and don't have access to excess instruments.

TY!

Members don't see this ad.

While there’s the standard suture kits available on Amazon, there’s a chief resident CT surgeon at Penn who’s made a YouTube channel called The Modern Surgeon and talks about alternative options that are much more affordable (made of hair ties and Home Depot stuff). You could give that a try.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above. Also any type of thread (even sewing thread) can be good enough to practice ties.

Also I bet the surgical residents would be willing to help you relearn whatever you may need. Always really loved when someone wanted to improve their technique and I was able to help them!

Agree with the above. Also any type of thread (even sewing thread) can be good enough to practice ties.

Also I bet the surgical residents would be willing to help you relearn whatever you may need. Always really loved when someone wanted to improve their technique and I was able to help them!
Have absolutely no confidence in my suturing skills. Politely declined to close very superficial inch-long incisions on a patient's head when asked by attending telling them I don't want to hurt the patient. TBH I need help with 'relearning' how to suture again.

Can someone recommend a commercial kit (free or not too expensive) that I can purchase to practice all the basic knots, etc before I start intern year? I have finished my surgical rotations and don't have access to excess instruments.

TY!
Used to use dental floss to practice knots. Very similar feel.