Buying medical supplies (suture kit, lido, IVF)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy some basic medical supplies for home. Things like, IV start kits, IVF, suture kits, sutures, etc.

You know, the supplies you need for when you get gastro and can't go into work but don't want to pay the copay for some rehydration.

Thanks! And please don't suggest I 'borrow' it from the hospital. I find that unethical.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand the IV supplies, but why are you collecting suture kits? In case a family member sustains a laceration?

I understand the IV supplies, but why are you collecting suture kits? In case a family member sustains a laceration?

Maybe he gets really sick and wants to suture in a central line for TPN or place a g-tube. ;)

At any rate, venous access devices require a prescription. Public policy does not just allow any old person to buy needles and syringes. I'm sure you can imagine why.

You can get IVF without one, but they are generally sold in cases/large batches...if you are sick that often, you need more than just rehydration, would seem to me. I've been sick a few times during residency and never had to pay the ER a co-pay for evaluation and tx. Then again, I don't have the ethical issues you do about asking a floor nurse to start an IV and hang some fluids on me.

Try some Pedialyte and get a script for some rectal Phenergan next time you get gastro.

I have a slightly used "ENT minor" kit at home that I'll make you a good deal on. :laugh:

Seriously what am I missing here? Are times that tight that you can't afford a little gatorade or a copay for rehydration?

If you are a medical student or resident and need rehydration or whatever, just call up a friend in the clinic and get it done "outside the system"... Really no reason to stockpile LR and Prolene for a rainy day. Plus, no offense but depending on your level of training no one is going to want you to suture their wounds.

Mmm...Pedialyte. Tried it once during med school...tastes like a saltier version of Gatorade.

Heck, if you can't afford pedialyte or gatorade, make your own- a quart of water, a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar. Or, just add 2 teaspoons of salt into some kool-aid if you want something flavored.

Who among us hasn't tanked up a hungover friend, excised an EIC, or stapled a scalp in the kitchen?

I'd probably not fill the self-prescribed stuff if the physician had told me it was for "home".

But, I have dispensed similar stuff for physicians who have either been the medical provider for a tour - taking teenagers on a "climb" or some other "official" activity or who have been parents who have accompanied a child along with another group (school, boy/girl scouts, etc). It didn't involved IV fluids (too cumbersome) - just some MS, epi, lido, etc...One was a vascular surgeon & he got the suture stuff from central supply - all up front & paid for. You have to be pretty familiar with the hospital pharmacists to go thru them.

Otherwise, if you have a private practice, you can obtain this stuff thru your own medical wholesaler - you just have to buy a "bunch" - like a case of 12 D51/2NS or some such. Its pretty cheap, but the tubing is expensive & depending on your supplier, may or may not work without a pump. Some suppliers aren't even stocking gravity only because hospitals aren't buying them as much as 5-10 years ago. You also have to buy the IV catheters - probably a minimum of 100 or so....

Seems like a lot of fuss for some dehydration/hangover issues.

Now - charity donations to third world providers are a whole separate issue.

I am a licensed doctor with a DEA number and my own script pads, so that's not an issue.

You've never sustained a lac in the kitchen that wouldn't benefit from a couple throws of a stitch or some dermabond? Also, ever had gastro so bad that you can't keep anything down which precludes ORT? Every home with children should have an epipen around.

Anyway, I don't see the need to goto the ED for minor medical issues that would necessitate a 4+ hour wait and $$$ copay.

So, I guess no one has an online source. Or, people feel totally comfortable 'borrowing' from the hospital. I'll check out central supplies.

So, I guess no one has an online source. Or, people feel totally comfortable 'borrowing' from the hospital. I'll check out central supplies.

http://www.buyemp.com/

I've purchased supplies, including medications, from this company before, for personal use (a trip to a 3rd world country, and a backpacking trip to a remote area). I didn't buy any narcotics or other controlled substances, though it appears to be possible if you wade through the paperwork. There's a form on their web site

http://www.buyemp.com/download_forms/drugform.pdf

that you have to fill out and send in with a copy of your license +/- DEA number if you want to buy certain items.

You can order small quanties, even single units:

one 5 mL of 1% lidocaine for $.79
one 3 mL syringe with 25 g needle for $.71
one 18 g angiocath for $1.95
one 1000 mL bag of LR for $3.65

The catch is you need an unrestricted state medical license to buy any of these things, so if you're an intern (or a resident in states that require >1 year of PGY training), you're outta luck.

HTH

I understand where you're coming from but I dunno...I'd rather wait in an ED and pay the co-pay than have any one, any institution question why I am purchasing medical supplies for personal use. I value my DEA.

I am a licensed doctor with a DEA number and my own script pads, so that's not an issue.

You've never sustained a lac in the kitchen that wouldn't benefit from a couple throws of a stitch or some dermabond? Also, ever had gastro so bad that you can't keep anything down which precludes ORT? Every home with children should have an epipen around.

Anyway, I don't see the need to goto the ED for minor medical issues that would necessitate a 4+ hour wait and $$$ copay.

Try googling things along the lines of ALS kits.