Surgeon ges sued for CRNA overdose of patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i wouldn't know. i don't do alveolar nerve blocks. dentists do. which makes me wonder why this anesthesiologist, who mysteriously died, was involved in this patient's care at all. now, if you want me to block V2 or V3, i promise you i won't be anywhere near a lung.

methinks morpheus is very confused (and/or full of "it").

Maybe he thought the alveolar nerve was in the lung alveoli :laugh: hence the PTX. He didn't realize it is the sensory branch of V3.

Members don't see this ad.

You must have read the article wrong...the surgeon (in this case the dentist) got sued and had to pay damages because of the anesthesiologist's mistake...just another case to PROVE that just because you work with an anesthesiologist does not release any responsibility....which was the argument a few posts ago. It is unfortunate that greed fuels most of the ASA's attacks and not patient safety. Very unfortunate. And to illustrate my point I have a question...What model of anesthesia care works best? ACT or independent provider?

And I am very interested in knowing how you came up with 6 more years training? From my view point it looks like this, MDAs 4 yrs pre-med (most people agree that you get no MEDICAL(especially anesthesia) traing in pre-med, so scratch that, 4 yrs med school, some pt experience, + 3-5 yrs residency (more for CC etc), just dealing anesthesia, so that equals 9 on the high end.... Now for me BSN 4 yrs, all pt related, 1-2 or more ICU exp. (i had three), 2-3 yrs crna school, so that (on the high end) equals 9yrs plus....so where is the 6 yrs more training.
Just one man's opinion

Morpheous

6 years period

4 years under grad in "premed" if you will such as BIOLOGY, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY, ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH, PUblic health etc.... 4 years of medical school 4 years of residency=12 years count it

As for your other comments your BSN your first two years were the same as any other major in undergrad your second 2 years you followed nurses around and counted pills and wiped bed pans I know because I was in nursing school once this is patient related but not the same skills as you need as a physician so while you were doing med counts other people were learning science and physiology to help them through med school.

then CRNA school 1 year of lecture and 1l.5 years of clinical work no significant call like a residency I know this too because I have been a part of 3 separate CRNA training schools...

total time 4+1=1.5=6.5 only 2.5 of those years are equivalent to the 8 years of medical school and residency.

YOur ICU experience is not an issue many med students volunteer and do similar stuff. I was a volunteer in the ICU for two years, my friend worked for a physical therapist so I did not count that besides not all CRNA's have had ICU experience, and I know several who went straight through with minimal experience or only ward experience.

Finally which model does not matter and one model may work better at one place than at another I have worked where I am my own responsibility and I have worked supervising CRNA's residents, CRNA students. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

My point was not bashing CRNA's I love them and love working WITH them not AGAINST them as many of them seem to be against asking for help which is scary since as a physician we consult our collegues all the time.

Finally I wont comment on the ASA thing - ythe AANA is more militant and more financially driven than any other organization I have seen.