Supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefootfixer

Reaction score
kinda a strange thing but having a hard time finding those instrument soaking trays that are used in the office…anyone have a good source /link?

Members don't see this ad.

These things always sketched me out when I was a student.
There is no way its actually clean. I wouldnt let someone come after me with a resused #15 blade coming out of one of these trays (Yes... Ive seen it done).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the VAs still have disposable single-use nail nippers from Pakistan?

Reactions: 1 user
Do the VAs still have disposable single-use nail nippers from Pakistan?
Damn, that's so wasteful. The staggering amount of single use crap that gets disposed in the medical field is mind boggling.

Reactions: 2 users
Damn, that's so wasteful. The staggering amount of single use crap that gets disposed in the medical field is mind boggling.
Not to mention they really suck to use.

These things always sketched me out when I was a student.
There is no way its actually clean. I wouldnt let someone come after me with a resused #15 blade coming out of one of these trays (Yes... Ive seen it done).
Same. We autoclave all of our instruments after each use. Yucky.

Reactions: 2 users
Same. We autoclave all of our instruments after each use. Yucky.
Yep, it doesn't take too much time. We do a hybrid. I'm not against the germicide tray, but staff training is key... some stuff is sterile-ish procedure (lesion excis, ingrown, wound care, suture remove, etc), some is not (nail care, etc). Even the nail nips or blade handles or bandage scissors or Dremel bits that very seldom contact any fluids chould still be in the autoclave every use, or at least whenever they do contact or may have contacted fluids... bare minimum autoclave em daily.

I'm probably the king of taking minor derm things to real OR on the drop of a hat (recalcitrant verruca, revision ingrown, nearly any sketch looking skin lesion or immunocomp or CA hx pt, etc). I just like the better instruments and lighting; maybe I'm weird. It does help me being in a hospital clinic and having OR upstairs and not across town... and the hospital probably doesn't mind the xtra cases onto my blocks one bit. I will do lesser digit 18ga tendonotomies in office (unless in combo with other real work... then OR), but that's about it for any bone/tendon/subcut stuff.

I think those in-office TALs, plantar fasciotomies, extensive wound cares, extensive lac/dehiscence repairs, extensive I&Ds, toe amps, etc are asking for bigtime issues. Issues on those could be infection, legal, staff or pt or pt family fainting or worse, hemostasis, any random complication... a whole lot of trip points there. Sure, maybe in a univ setting or 30years ago, it's not such a big deal... but I'd say those are now sub-optimal to say the least.

Last edited:
Great input here guys thank you!

Any recommendations on pre nail debridement softening solutions? A few I saw on Henry schein, Gill etc are like $70 for a bottle lol

Is it better to apply the lotion going from top to bottom or from bottom to top?

3 Wea comes in a concentrate so you're supposed to dilute it like 8:1. Not effective for nails but I like it for calluses. Easier to shave off, less nicks and scrapes

Our profession built its success atop a mountain of keratin

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
We should ask the people who run SDN to change the podiatrist badge to 'Foot and Ankle Surgeon".

Oh definitely. Also we need badges for ABFAS board certified as well.