As a solo practitioner who do you order your supplies from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podvam

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just looking for some tips on who to get in contact with about some affordable and reliable supply ordering options. Do those of you with your own practices just go with McKesson or is there a better option in terms of a company willing to deal with a smalltime account? Any tips appreciated even if it's just a company name I can do the rest of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Office has apparently used Henry Schein forever - a question to ask my OM is - have we ever done a price comparison or are we just with the same people because.

Right now might be a good idea to know the names of a few people to call with lidocaine/marcaine in short supply.

Medline is great.

Good luck anywhere getting lidocaine/marcaine

Members don't see this ad :)
I have various account with different vendors : McKesson, Medline, Federated Healthcare Supply, *** Medical Surgical Supply LLC (*** Medical Surgical Supply), Vive Health (good for DME).

I am always looking for more vendors. I comparison shop for everything from 4x4 Gauze to #15 blade to CAM boots etc. I am not loyal to any one company. I don't have any quota to meet to get any discount from them. Being solo means any savings goes directly to my pocket and staff bonus.

Reactions: 1 user
We use Talar Medical. They're a purchasing group that can save you money by doing bulk purchases from the usual vendors.

Reactions: 1 user
What are ya'll using for CAM boots (and what are you paying)? There seem to be a variety of $25 options but I wonder if there's a quality upgrade in the $50 range.

Yah solo practitioners get screwed unless part of a good discount group. I was grandfathered in when I was a solo practitioner for a discount level not given to solo doctors at Henry Schein.

McKesson would price match my common items, but was overly expensive for other items. They offered good service if that is important to help with stocking and ordering supplies for some larger offices non podiatry offices I knew of but that was not a benefit for me.

What are ya'll using for CAM boots (and what are you paying)? There seem to be a variety of $25 options but I wonder if there's a quality upgrade in the $50 range.
There is Aircast at the higher end (other companies make expensive models also) $60 or more. A basic medium quality one might cost $40 if you have a good discounted rate or $50 if you don't. Them there are the cheaper $25 ones. I have gone expensive, medium and cheap, but most of the time I was in private practice I went with middle of the road ones for around $40 each. Some of the cheap ones that were buy in bulk from Ovation seemed decent enough and almost the same quality as the medium cost ones. Usually it was a teaser rate or buy in bulk only rate and and more for shipping also. Their DME reps annoyed me so much I just ordered them from my regular medical supply company. Some of the very cheap ones by other unheard of companies were so cheaply made I was embarrassed to dispense them.

Ortho still seems to use a lot of Aircast cam walkers. Maybe they get a great discount or only accept good insurance. Everything is marketing now and some DME companies will put your logo on DME.

Last edited: