SUNY Upstate vs Rochester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeschmoe1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Upstate:
Pros:
  • In-state tuition
  • Extremely close to home (15 min drive)
  • Curriculum: pre-clinical pass-fail, 1.5 pre-clinical, recorded lectures
  • I already know and vibe with a bunch of upperclassmen here
  • Decent match list, I want to stay in the NE
Cons:
  • I’m interested in derm but there’s no home residency program, not 100% set on it though
  • Lower ranking/research funding
Rochester:
Pros
  • Higher prestige and research funding
  • Amazing match list
  • Has home program in derm
  • 1.5 hours from home
Cons:
  • Lectures not recorded
  • More expensive (~80K total)
  • I went here for undergrad and although I liked it and Rochester quite a bit I feel like I‘m ready for a change and the majority of my friends there are now gone too
Neutral/Other:
  • Both in the middle of NY and not in a big city
  • I will deal with snow no matter what lol
  • Very familiar with both schools
  • Similar extracurriculars I’d be involved with at both
  • Since I went to Rochester for college I’ve already worked with the derm department there on a couple of projects and am able to participate in others regardless of school in the future (although this would obviously be easiest being there)

Summary: I love the support I’d have at Upstate and I like the curriculum and being somewhere new more However, it’s hard to pass up Rochester’s excellent name and reputation and I don’t know if the connections I’ve made there as an undergrad in the derm department (and plan to continue) will outweigh the fact that Upstate doesn’t have a home residency program in derm and difference in research opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like the initial transition to Rochester will be slightly more difficult, but that's how it goes for the vast majority of matriculants.
The future opportunities and networking you have already worked towards at Rochester are much more valuable. Matching into derm will surely cover the costs of the higher COA.

Reactions: 1 user
Rochester since you are interested in a competitive specialty.

Reactions: 1 user