SUNY Downstate vs. Hofstra? Interested in OB-GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beesees12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am torn between both schools, and am unsure how to pick now that Step 1 is P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Cost?
Location? Downstate is in Brooklyn while Hofstra in Long Island.
Patient population? Downstate much more underserved, Hofstra more insured patients with fancier facilities.
Any specific competitive specialty interests? Check out some previous match lists to see how the schools do in general.

Reputation is a wash I'd say though Hofstra might be more on the up and up. I know Downstate is technically "unranked" but it has a good reputation in NYC and northeast. Hofstra is a relatively new school.

Cost?
Location? Downstate is in Brooklyn while Hofstra in Long Island.
Patient population? Downstate much more underserved, Hofstra more insured patients.
Any specific competitive specialty interests? Check out some previous match lists to see how the schools do in general.

Reputation is a wash I'd say though Hofstra might be more on the up and up. I know Downstate is technically "unranked" but it has a good reputation in NYC and northeast. Hofstra is a relatively new school.
Since Hofstra is a newer school, I am scared it will not have as much of a reputation with residency programs outside of New York. I am also unsure whether Hofstra's slightly better rank will be more helpful now that step 1 is P/F - what do you think?

Since Hofstra is a newer school, I am scared it will not have as much of a reputation with residency programs outside of New York. I am also unsure whether Hofstra's slightly better rank will be more helpful now that step 1 is P/F - what do you think?

I don't think the rank is going to help or hurt. OB is "medium" competitive specialty. Both schools match plenty into it.

Step 1 going pass fail isn't going to suddenly change that. There are still other metrics people will look at.

Reactions: 1 user