SUNY Buffalo Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, don't worry about it. The school will loan you all the money to cover the Cost of Attendance. Just as an OOS, you need a grad plus (available July) to cover the rest. The release date of funds is Aug. 1. The only deal with the plus loan is that it requires a credit check. As Laker said, don't forget to do sign the MPN for you stafford loans. You'll have to do it again for the plus loan when you get it in July.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, don't worry about it. The school will loan you all the money to cover the Cost of Attendance. Just as an OOS, you need a grad plus (available July) to cover the rest. The release date of funds is Aug. 1. The only deal with the plus loan is that it requires a credit check. As Laker said, don't forget to do sign the MPN for you stafford loans. You'll have to do it again for the plus loan when you get it in July.

Yeah, I don't have any loans to sign an MPN for yet...they haven't given me anything yet. My file is blank, as of today when I called. I probably have to wait until I get the loans awarded to sign a promissory note, but I did already do the entrance counseling. Do you have to know how much you need in GradPlus loans to apply? Or do you just apply and then they give you what you need? I don't know how much to ask for, since there are scholarships (some of which I don't yet know the exact amount) involved...

Ok, two weeks later, I'll post this question again and hopefully someone can help me out, since their office obviously won't: as an OOS entering student, am I going to need to take out private loans to make up the tuition difference, or are they met using gradplus or something? I finally got ahold of someone today after trying for the last week or so (it must be nice to just take off for vacations like that and leave students to fend for themselves) only to find out that I likely won't receive my financial aid until August at the earliest. I just need a ballpark idea if I'm going to have to take out massive private loans or not, to get the paperwork rolling, but they 'can't tell me that'. So very helpful. Rant over.

Grad Plus loans (easy to get thru the school's financial aid department) will cover the remaining amount of $ needed to meet the entire budget amount after you max out your subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans. I didn't shop around for any loans, but I imagine that the GRAD Plus loans have a cheaper/comparable interest rate. I was OOS first year and took out the max budget

Members don't see this ad :)
As an OOS, is there anything in particular I should know about establishing NY residency my first year? Tips?

Looks like White Coat tickets are in high demand. I got over 20 emails asking for unused tickets in the last couple days. I'm going to list my tickets on eBay to help pay for OOS tuition. :D

As an OOS, is there anything in particular I should know about establishing NY residency my first year? Tips?
I asked the same question at the interview and the answer was:
1) live outside of a dorm and
2) get a NY ID card or driver's license

Looks like White Coat tickets are in high demand. I got over 20 emails asking for unused tickets in the last couple days. I'm going to list my tickets on eBay to help pay for OOS tuition. :D

LOL. Don't give ppl ideas.

So I accidentally posted this in the waitlist thread. 2nd time's the charm.

Did everyone get the email that a PDA is not required this year? For those on the listserv the email header was "Fwd: PDA's for the Class of 2012".

Now I'm VERY glad I didn't buy one already. I was just about to :laugh:

Yes, the only thing you need to worry about right now is making sure you live in off-campus housing. Once you've got that covered then go here to find all other requirements:

http://src.buffalo.edu/studentaccount/residency.shtml

The form isn't going to be due for almost another year for you though, so no need to stress now. Its a very lenient process

So what about computing? How important is it to have a good computer? I can't decide if I should buy a new one or if I'll barely even need one since I don't plan or enjoy taking notes on a laptop. Thanks.

So what about computing? How important is it to have a good computer? I can't decide if I should buy a new one or if I'll barely even need one since I don't plan or enjoy taking notes on a laptop. Thanks.

Nobody takes note on their laptop in class (and some profs get mad if you have one in their lectures anyways). The only ppl bringing laptops to class are those that are playing text twist or reading Perez Hilton or something haha. If you're not interested in buying a computer you can always just use the ones at school, but I imagine that you're going to need some way to check your e-mail on a regular basis. You don't really need a "good" computer though, just something to get on the web, write papers, watch online lectures, etc

So I accidentally posted this in the waitlist thread. 2nd time's the charm.

Did everyone get the email that a PDA is not required this year? For those on the listserv the email header was "Fwd: PDA's for the Class of 2012".

Now I'm VERY glad I didn't buy one already. I was just about to :laugh:

:( Everyone in my class bought a PDA and we basically had to look up one drug on one test once. Guess they finally decided to just let people slide on the PDA.

I do love my Treo smartphone though, since I have free internet on it, but it vaguely sucks to carry around a massive phone all the time for that one time I had to use it on a test.

That said, when I was doing my preceptor days it was actually kind of handy to have software on my phone that let me look up drugs, instead of harassing my preceptor every 2 minutes, or being totally confused about what a patient tells you about their medications. But even if you guys do end up buying a PDA you won't be forced to buy Palm at least.

Nobody takes note on their laptop in class (and some profs get mad if you have one in their lectures anyways). The only ppl bringing laptops to class are those that are playing text twist or reading Perez Hilton or something haha. If you're not interested in buying a computer you can always just use the ones at school, but I imagine that you're going to need some way to check your e-mail on a regular basis. You don't really need a "good" computer though, just something to get on the web, write papers, watch online lectures, etc

I think the professors only get mad because people were surfing the web instead of actually typing their notes :laugh:
If you have self control though bringing your laptop to class is perfectly fine. My friend uses OneNote to make these insanely elaborate notes and the professors have been perfectly cool with it since it's obvious that he's really taking notes and not surfing the web (it's actually pretty easy to tell when someone isn't actually working on their notes). But I do remember a bunch of other people being scolded about surfing the web on their laptops, so if you don't think you can stay off the internet it might be a bad idea to bring the laptop.

I brought my laptop mostly just so I could watch video lectures when studying on-campus without having to go to the computer lab (I like studying in the library), and look up powerpoint slides and whatnot. Because it's honestly easier to take notes on the paper printouts they give than to make crazily elaborate notes on your computer (and to be honest it's hard to resist surfing the net). Although, it is nice to be able to check your e-mail between lectures without running upstairs to the lab.

I'd still recommend having some sort of laptop anyways, they're pretty cheap nowadays and when I'm at the library it seems like half the med students have a laptop with them for whatever reason. I'm probably going to buy one of those new super-cheap and super-light laptops that are coming out this summer (MSI Wind, Acer Aspire One, Asus EEE 901/1000, etc.) since they're perfect for taking notes (although pretty underpowered if it's your only PC so don't expect to do much more than take notes and use the web). And sometimes the computer labs have classes going on in them (or even worse, a test), so they aren't really available. Those times it's pretty convenient to have a laptop on you!

It's actually a little trickier for 2nd years to use their laptops, mostly because the lecture hall the 2nd years usually use has those flip-out writing panels that come out of the chairs, making it more or less impossible to have both your notes and your laptop out. But for 1st years in the big hall it's easy to have a laptop out in class.

So...uhh, to summarize my long post:
No you don't need a laptop for taking notes in class, but it's still convenient to have a laptop in general for video lectures and course documents and stuff (or just to pay your bills online in between lectures :laugh:).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
2) Is the HPV vaccine mandatory for women? Or is it just recommended by UB?
I think it's recommended by UB mostly because it's recommended in general for college and most medical-school age females.
They mostly require the vaccines since you'll be exposed to all sorts of stuff on the job...and I don't think HPV exposure is part of our job description just yet :laugh:

Still, probably a good idea in general to get an HPV vaccine if you have coverage for it. Other than the fact that it's not a particularly comfortable shot (and the cost) there's no real reason not to get one since pretty much everyone will be exposed to HPV sooner or later, lol.

Last edited:
Ideally, I want to move closer to campus, but we could only go over for a couple of days to look at places, and those that we saw were practically slums! The main limiting factor is we have pets that we are not willing to give up. I figure that once I'm familiar with the area, this time next year, we will likely move closer to the hospitals and then stay put for the next three years. It's pretty hard to move somewhere when you can't go look at places as they come available...the nice clean ones go right away, and the crap is left over.

There are some nice places if you go further south and to the west. Also, some kind of crappy places, but plenty of nice places to live too.

The pets thing is kind of a problem though, since I know someone else who ended up having to live in Williamsville due to their dogs. The building I live in has a no-pet policy, but there's nobody around to enforce it :laugh: and the building manager herself has a dog, lol. So...if you go to a no-pet building but half the residents are out walking their dogs you can also consider just breaking the rules.

Does anyone have more info about Grad PLUS Loan application?
I visited the financial aid website but the link for Grad PLUS Loan is not activated yet.
Show me the $$$. :laugh:
Thx

Does anyone have more info about Grad PLUS Loan application?
I visited the financial aid website but the link for Grad PLUS Loan is not activated yet.
Show me the $$$. :laugh:
Thx

Hmmm, I actually just did the application maybe two days ago, Laker, so maybe it was just offline for some reason when you checked? It should be back up pretty quick if that was the case. All you have to do it print and fill out a form to mail in, and then I signed the promissory note at the same time so I wouldn't forget. I would check the site again, and if it's still down, try and call someone to see what's up.

Hmmm, I actually just did the application maybe two days ago, Laker, so maybe it was just offline for some reason when you checked? It should be back up pretty quick if that was the case. All you have to do it print and fill out a form to mail in, and then I signed the promissory note at the same time so I wouldn't forget. I would check the site again, and if it's still down, try and call someone to see what's up.

Really? I check it everyday and just now but the links are not activated.
Here's what I see on http://www.src.buffalo.edu/forms/financialaidforms.shtml

Notice that the links above and below the Grad PLUS Loan are active.
Can you please post the link to the pdf file directly?
Thanks,
L4L

There was an error with the PDF when they put it up early in the week which is why they took it down. Not sure what the error was but thats what they told me. Don't forget to add health insurance to your loan because it's not in the list of COA. They said it should come back up sometime in the next few days. Did you guys send in the direct deposit form?

There was an error with the PDF when they put it up early in the week which is why they took it down. Not sure what the error was but thats what they told me. Don't forget to add health insurance to your loan because it's not in the list of COA. They said it should come back up sometime in the next few days. Did you guys send in the direct deposit form?
Thanks *binary* for letting me know ;). I thought I was looking at the wrong page or something.
Cheers,
L4L

Last edited:
I've been MIA the last couple days, sorry...I just got a new puppy, a doxie, and it has ultimately consumed my life! I'm totally in love, so I profusely apologize in advance in case I force any of you to look at puppy pictures in the coming weeks...

Yeah, I checked my link and it is down. I must have slipped in before they took it offline. I haven't heard anything back about it, so they may have me redo it if it was an important typo. I guess we'll see!

I'm still looking for housing and might get a one bedroom in the Mayflower, but I won't be able to actually see the place before signing the lease...I'm not in the position to be able to come earlier to look around and a lot of other places that were recommended are not available until September. For anyone from Buffalo or for anyone who has seen it or lives there, how is it? I don't care about amenities or space as much as I care about safety. Is there any major reason why I shouldn't live there?
Thanks! :)

I'm still looking for housing and might get a one bedroom in the Mayflower, but I won't be able to actually see the place before signing the lease...I'm not in the position to be able to come earlier to look around and a lot of other places that were recommended are not available until September. For anyone from Buffalo or for anyone who has seen it or lives there, how is it? I don't care about amenities or space as much as I care about safety. Is there any major reason why I shouldn't live there?
Thanks! :)

I'm not a current student, but that is one of the apt buildings I checked out when I went to look. It seemed pretty nice, was smaller than I was expecting after seeing the pics, but overall seemed like a nice place for the money. A couple blocks to the east is not great, but a couple blocks west is a pretty nice neighborhood so I think it's mostly right on the border of where you wouldn't want to be. I'm pretty sure they had some security features too (I ended up signing for Dockside Village instead, so don't really remember). All in all I thought it was OK, but nothing special, just as a visitor. In person, I would have given it a 6.5-7 out of a 10. I think there are some current students who live there who post, so hopefully you'll get some more specific info, but I wanted to throw that out there for ya. See ya in a couple weeks!

I'm not a current student, but that is one of the apt buildings I checked out when I went to look. It seemed pretty nice, was smaller than I was expecting after seeing the pics, but overall seemed like a nice place for the money. A couple blocks to the east is not great, but a couple blocks west is a pretty nice neighborhood so I think it's mostly right on the border of where you wouldn't want to be. I'm pretty sure they had some security features too (I ended up signing for Dockside Village instead, so don't really remember). All in all I thought it was OK, but nothing special, just as a visitor. In person, I would have given it a 6.5-7 out of a 10. I think there are some current students who live there who post, so hopefully you'll get some more specific info, but I wanted to throw that out there for ya. See ya in a couple weeks!

Thanks for the info...it makes me feel better about having to sign a lease without actually seeing the place! I'm totally fine with nothing special...based on the (supposed) square footage of this 1 bedroom, it is the size of the 2 bedroom I used to have in college (and half the price!).

hey please tell me about your school:
1) how is the cross country skiing in that area?? any parks within city or nearby where u could train consistently?
2) anything else unique about the city of buffalo or the school?
thanks

Did anyone get an envelope about joining the UB AMA club (~$85 for 4 years). How many of you guys are considering it?

Is there any practical use for it besides keeping abreast of healthcare policy/etc?

could someone tell me the date and time of the white coat ceremony?

hey please tell me about your school:
1) how is the cross country skiing in that area?? any parks within city or nearby where u could train consistently?
2) anything else unique about the city of buffalo or the school?
thanks

There are quite a few parks around the area, but I don't know anything about the cross country skiing there. Buffalo consistently gets quite a bit of snow though, so I doubt you'd be at a loss of good weather for CC skiing.

The city seems pretty run-of-the mill, but unique things off the top of my head would be that there seems to be a lot of good restaurants and a fairly big "art" scene for a relatively small city. Its also right on Lake Erie which is fairly unique. Not too much unique about the school itsself off the top of my head

Last edited:
could someone tell me the date and time of the white coat ceremony?

E-mail your incoming class of 2012 list-serve as I'm sure you'll get a much more timely response

Friday, August 15 at 3pm at Slee Hall on UB's North Campus.

By the way, I think I'll have to pay off a few locals to bring airhorns to the ceremony and make noise when I get called up hahaha :laugh:

By the way, I think I'll have to pay off a few locals to bring airhorns to the ceremony and make noise when I get called up hahaha :laugh:
Hey, you can pay me and I'll make sure you'll get plenty of noise.

On another note when is everyone moving in? Orientation's on the 11th, so I plan on moving in a week beforehand to settle in and get acquainted with the surroundings.

I'm moving in the beginning of August. Want to get settled in and get familiar with the area a bit before school starts.

I'm moving in August 1st as well...are any of you considering going on the camping trip?? I think it would be fun, as long as I can get away!

I'm moving in August 1st as well...are any of you considering going on the camping trip?? I think it would be fun, as long as I can get away!

It sounds promising, but I"ll barely have blankets and a pillow when I get there let alone anything to go camping with :laugh:

It sounds promising, but I"ll barely have blankets and a pillow when I get there let alone anything to go camping with :laugh:
I'd rather wait for someone to organize the next ski trip. Btw, where do people in Buffalo go skiing? It must be a long drive cuz I don't see any mountain terrain in the area.

I heard from a UB student that skiing is 40mins away and that for 140$ you can get a season pass through the school to 3 mountains. I can't wait to hit the slopes to cool down from all the hard work. On a different note, these guys are really dragging there feet on the Plus loan application. I want my $$$ all taken care of.

I heard from a UB student that skiing is 40mins away and that for 140$ you can get a season pass through the school to 3 mountains. I can't wait to hit the slopes to cool down from all the hard work.

Woo we always are looking for more people to come snowboarding (skiing not so much... you two bladers are NOT wanted around here :cool: )

There really is only one mountain near Buffalo you want to goto -- Holiday Valley. Its about 45 min - hour away in Ellicottville. Its not 'great'...but its definitely one of the best mountains in NY and has plenty of trails to keep you busy for an evening.

As for prices:
As a UB student, you can join Schussmeisters (www.schussmeisters.com). They have an 'early' sign up day at the end of august for $99-ish. After that it goes up. Each night of the week (and some afternoons) you get a free pass to a certain mountain. The other mountains in the area are Kissing Bridge and Tamarack. Both of those are a waste of time in my opinion :p Holiday Valley is usually Wednesday and Friday nights (4 pm - 11pm). As a first year, you shouldn't have too much to do most wednesday afternoons, and friday afternoons will definitely be free, so you could head to the mountain by 2:30 or 3 easily.

Your other option is buying a Holiday Valley pass. They have a bunch.. you can check the holiday valley site for prices. As a 2nd year, I couldn't go on wednesday evenings, so I bought a pass that gave me 9 eight hour lift tickets for like $175. (8 hour ticket is usually $40 or something like that.)

If you don't want a pass you option is to just buy a lift ticket normally. Mon-Thurs nights are "college nights" so from 4pm - 11 pm you can get a ticket for $25. (thats where Schussmeisters comes in....pays off after 4 weeknight tickets).

Andddd last but not least, the ski trip. We went to Lake Placid last year for approx $200 each (bus, hotel, 2 days of skiing). It was planned by the past Polity (med school student government) president and was the first Med School Ski Trip. Since he's obviously no longer pres, I don't know if it will happen again. You'll have to talk to the current 2nd year class and try to plan it out.

Let me know if you have more snowboarding questions :D Oh, and if you plan on a ski trip out west during winter break -- I HIGHLY recommend Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Woo we always are looking for more people to come snowboarding (skiing not so much... you two bladers are NOT wanted around here :cool: )

There really is only one mountain near Buffalo you want to goto -- Holiday Valley. Its about 45 min - hour away in Ellicottville. Its not 'great'...but its definitely one of the best mountains in NY and has plenty of trails to keep you busy for an evening.

As for prices:
As a UB student, you can join Schussmeisters (www.schussmeisters.com). They have an 'early' sign up day at the end of august for $99-ish. After that it goes up. Each night of the week (and some afternoons) you get a free pass to a certain mountain. The other mountains in the area are Kissing Bridge and Tamarack. Both of those are a waste of time in my opinion :p Holiday Valley is usually Wednesday and Friday nights (4 pm - 11pm). As a first year, you shouldn't have too much to do most wednesday afternoons, and friday afternoons will definitely be free, so you could head to the mountain by 2:30 or 3 easily.

Your other option is buying a Holiday Valley pass. They have a bunch.. you can check the holiday valley site for prices. As a 2nd year, I couldn't go on wednesday evenings, so I bought a pass that gave me 9 eight hour lift tickets for like $175. (8 hour ticket is usually $40 or something like that.)

If you don't want a pass you option is to just buy a lift ticket normally. Mon-Thurs nights are "college nights" so from 4pm - 11 pm you can get a ticket for $25. (thats where Schussmeisters comes in....pays off after 4 weeknight tickets).

Andddd last but not least, the ski trip. We went to Lake Placid last year for approx $200 each (bus, hotel, 2 days of skiing). It was planned by the past Polity (med school student government) president and was the first Med School Ski Trip. Since he's obviously no longer pres, I don't know if it will happen again. You'll have to talk to the current 2nd year class and try to plan it out.

Let me know if you have more snowboarding questions :D Oh, and if you plan on a ski trip out west during winter break -- I HIGHLY recommend Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

I've never hit the slopes before, so this all sounds incredibly fun! And if I go, I promise to provide entertainment by falling down repeatedly on the bunny slopes :thumbup:

I've never hit the slopes before, so this all sounds incredibly fun! And if I go, I promise to provide entertainment by falling down repeatedly on the bunny slopes :thumbup:

I almost forgot! For anyone that has never snowboarded... in my class in the past 2 years we taught at least 5-10 people how and now they're hooked. I'm sure there will be nice people in your class that will do the same!

I grewup skiing the Rockies so a Jackson Hole trip would be amazing. My ideal location to live is Jackson or Vail.

Oh, and if you plan on a ski trip out west during winter break -- I HIGHLY recommend Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

:thumbup: Agreed. I've been almost everywhere you can go in the US rockies and I've been going somewhere out there every years since I was about 6. Jackson Hole was by far the best place I've ever snowboarded at. Big Sky Montana is a close second.

As for prices:

http://www.holidayvalley.com/winter.cfm?subpage=310
no offence but this resort would've been better if they groomed it for the classic and skate skiing. it wouldve been a good hill.

On a different note, these guys are really dragging there feet on the Plus loan application. I want my $$$ all taken care of.
Still no word from them. I'm afraid after paying my OOS tuition I won't have a dime left to pay my rent. :mad:

http://www.holidayvalley.com/winter.cfm?subpage=310
no offence but this resort would've been better if they groomed it for the classic and skate skiing. it wouldve been a good hill.

Its no Vail or Mammoth, but for the East, the stats are not bad at all. And although you may think that it could've "been a good hill," the people that actually decide what the good hills are think differently.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/travel/escapes/11ski.html In Ski magazine's most recent annual ranking of Eastern ski resorts, Whiteface Mountain outside Lake Placid came in No. 3 and Holiday Valley in Ellicottville was No. 5. Only two New England resorts, Smuggler's Notch at No. 2 and Stowe at No. 4 (both in Vermont), were ranked higher.

And the town is doing pretty good too --
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/2...em&ex=1201755600&en=2337f47fe7708be8&ei=5087

Sorry, just get a little defensive when people talk poorly about HV. It is definitely great compared to what else we have here on the east coast :p

Has anyone heard anything about the GradPlus loans? I haven't yet....if anyone has any news, please fill me in. Is there an online way to check our financial aid or something???

Don't worry so much about the grad plus. They know they have to get it together because most people will have to have at lease a small one IS or OOS. The form will get up at some point but you just gotta make sure you have money to cover yourself for August if necessary. So, save your cash for rent and use your credit card until you get the loan.