Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one who thought it was really weird that Mayo had an application fee?

there was no application fee for the SURF application

Members don't see this ad.

around what date should one be worried about not getting any interviews or acceptances? i'm confused about the timelines of these programs

Members don't see this ad :)
around what date should one be worried about not getting any interviews or acceptances? i'm confused about the timelines of these programs

I think most have a response date by March 1st or March 15th.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some advice about summer programs. I was recently accepted into both the MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE program as well as the NYU Sackler SURP (I emailed them about my app status due to the deadline for MD Anderson coming up soon). As someone who is interested in cancer research, I was wondering-- is there was a major difference between the two programs and would one would be stronger for med school applications? Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear! Only a couple more weeks now :)

*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal; 2/7 Fly_Coffee)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)
Vanderbilt MSTP (2/5 Dany151)
Mount Sinai (2/9 Dany151)
MD-Anderson CPRIT-CURE (2/14 Fly_Coffee)
NYU SURP (2/19 Fly_Coffee)

*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
Fred Hutch SURP (2/14, Fly_Coffee)

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some advice about summer programs. I was recently accepted into both the MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE program as well as the NYU Sackler SURP (I emailed them about my app status due to the deadline for MD Anderson coming up soon). As someone who is interested in cancer research, I was wondering-- is there was a major difference between the two programs and would one would be stronger for med school applications? Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear! Only a couple more weeks now :)

Hello
Based on my experience I think texas med schools all look at texas programs the same. I would be more excited about NYU SURP or University of Cincinnati SURF, since you said you interviewed with pi. I dont know any big differences between them two but this is my opinion based on med school application strength. Replying because your deadline is probably today

*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
MCW SPUR (2/21, wiswal)

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
UMich (2/20, wiswal)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
*****ACCEPTED******
MCW SPUR (2/21, wiswal)

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
UMich (2/20, wiswal)

its been a long time since I applied to summer programs but is this becoming a preliminary med school app process?

I don’t remember applying to this many programs. The EC grind is real.. I wonder what future premeds will have to do..!

its been a long time since I applied to summer programs but is this becoming a preliminary med school app process?

I don’t remember applying to this many programs. The EC grind is real.. I wonder what future premeds will have to do..!
That is a collective list of all the programs that folks on SDN are applying to. It's not just from one person alone. I personally applied to 3 but know some that applied to 6 or 7

*****ACCEPTED******
MCW SPUR (2/21, wiswal)

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
UMich (2/20, wiswal)

What are your stats? If you don’t mind me asking

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a collective list of all the programs that folks on SDN are applying to. It's not just from one person alone. I personally applied to 3 but know some that applied to 6 or 7
Yeah I applied to like 15 haha

I applied to Cincinnati Children's/University of Cincinnati SURF at the end of January and received an email from a PI of a group I said I was interested in today. They said they wanted to set up a time to talk, so it's not for sure yet but I did hear something back from them.

Does anyone know if I do not get into the lab at Cincinnati Children's that I am interviewing for (which I was not anticipating!) if I will still be able to get into another lab that is part of their program? Or will I be taken out of consideration for all groups?

Last edited:
What are your stats? If you don’t mind me asking
4.0 GPA, 1000+ research hours, previous REU with LOR from the PI and university PI, unique EC’s I mentioned in some essays

I applied to HSCI HIP, Sloan Kettering SURF, SRF Summer Scholars, UofColorado GSIP, and NIH SIP. I received an offer from a PI for the NIH SIP. Would I be a fool to not accept?

I follow this thread every year. Accepted to NIH NIDDK STEP-UP on 2/21. Good luck and congrats to everyone!

Accepted into Hopkins SIP 2/21 :)
That's 3 for 3 :)

Any one heard back from CSHL yet? Think they sent out invitations around this time in the past.

Just got accepted into John Hopkins Med through the Leadership Alliance. Also Yale and the NIHNIDDK at Yale. Waiting of Honors SURP at Harvard Med and Caltech AMGEN

Anyone heard from Rockefeller? They seem to start sending invites this time of year.

Accepted: Northwestern PreMed Internship, UChicago PSOMER and JHU SIP x2. :) humbled and thankful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to Livestrong Cancer Institute 2/26

Does anyone have any information about the MD Anderson SURP? I was told decisions would be released mid-February but haven't heard anything.

Accepted into NIH SIP (2/26). I was wondering whether it looks more prestigious on applications if I did research with the NIH or AMGEN/SURP type programs? Or it doesn't matter?

UMich FCVC-SURF said they intend to have all offers extended by the end of this week. Harvard Systems Bio said that they are currently having Skype interviews and intend to have all decisions out by the end of this week.

Have not heard back from anyone... the future is starting to look bleak:(

UCSF told me earlier today that they have a deal with their funding source to release decisions on March 1st for all students.

Did anyone hear back from Harvard SHURP?

Hi, could someone please help me?
I got into:
John Hopkins SIP x3
Yale SURF
Yale NIH-DSSK
NYU SURP
AMGEN Program (can’t say the name because they did an exception for my case so I can know my status early)
waiting:
SHURP at Harvard
I am very happy about Hopkins and would love being there this summer specially because they mentioned that I could email PIs to be in their lab. But also I know AMGEN is very prestigious and a PI there endorsed me and he/she is at the top of his/her field. They even offered me to be in a manuscript if I performed certain experiments. I’m just wondering if it’s worth it waiting on Harvard and what would be your choice? I don’t want to hold any possible positions for anyone who wants to go to these programs but I want to make the best decision since I worked very hard on my applications and want to have a good time this summer

Accepted into NIH SIP (2/26). I was wondering whether it looks more prestigious on applications if I did research with the NIH or AMGEN/SURP type programs? Or it doesn't matter?
NIH is extremely reputable and well-respect across the Nation, which is an advantage no matter where you end up applying for grad/med school. The disadvantage with specific programs, especially is they are Ivy League/top 10 schools, it can sometimes look to adcoms like you were simply collecting titles, rather than getting something out of it.

Hi, could someone please help me?
I got into:
John Hopkins SIP x3
Yale SURF
Yale NIH-DSSK
NYU SURP
AMGEN Program (can’t say the name because they did an exception for my case so I can know my status early)
waiting:
SHURP at Harvard
I am very happy about Hopkins and would love being there this summer specially because they mentioned that I could email PIs to be in their lab. But also I know AMGEN is very prestigious and a PI there endorsed me and he/she is at the top of his/her field. They even offered me to be in a manuscript if I performed certain experiments. I’m just wondering if it’s worth it waiting on Harvard and what would be your choice? I don’t want to hold any possible positions for anyone who wants to go to these programs but I want to make the best decision since I worked very hard on my applications and want to have a good time this summer
Hopkins ranks above Harvard in research.

Anyone got an email from IOWA SROP today? Because I got an email today asking about mentors preference

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Hopkins SIP's division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine?

How likely is it for a first-year undergraduate student to get into one of these prestigious SURF programs?
I'm a first-year myself and want to make my summers as productive as possible; I am part of a research lab in my college and currently volunteering at a hospital near campus, but I'm not sure exactly what to do now because based on the comments on this thread I got rejected from NIH and JHU SIP (Pulmonary and Critical Care). I have been thinking about getting my EMT certification this summer so I can start volunteering for the fire department next fall semester but I would still have a lot of "free time."

TDLR: Any tips/advice on what to do over the summer as a rising sophomore? I would like gain other experiences in addition to studying.

Last edited:
dang. you all sound so smart wow. I applied to VSSA but I feel like I have less of a chance than I thought I had LOL. I'm a sophomore