Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotallyUncertain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figure it's as good as time as any to create this one. Early bird gets the worm!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lmfao the current cycle isn't even over yet homie Hahahaha

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i just wanted to be the first to create this thread... lol

Which one did you get into this year? Do you mind me asking your stats?

3.80 GPA
Sophomore
M/s 3.86 gpa
Temple U.

Don't want to say what one I exactly got into, but its an obscure school.

I applied to 15 programs roughly. Only finished 8-9 of those apps because my PI didn't want to do anymore apps after I got my first acceptance. Can't wait to hear back from others because of a deadline where I have to accept.

With that being said. I am 1/6 on acceptances so far.

The whole process was quite a ride, but I am glad I am done. I was accepted into both of my dream internships this year. I can't wait for the experiences from these programs. Next: Bring on grad school apps LOL

I got into the SPHSP Columbia Program for 2017

3.5 GPA
Nursing Major UT Austin
resume includes: internships with Apple, Google, and SROP at Ohio State

I posted this in previous years, but thought it would again be relevant.

For all you guys struggling through this process: it will be okay. I remember reading all these posts back after my sophomore year when I applied to all these summer research programs. The result- I was rejected from every single one (all 10, and no top programs) and felt pretty crushed. Despite that, I used my summer to work on the MCAT, work a full time job at a restaurant, and do a little bit of clinical volunteering. While it was hard to see all these other people going off to these big things, you can still find other ways to show your passion and pursue your dreams. Find something you really love to do and you can still move toward what you want to do.

Skip to the end of my story-I ended up having a great MD/PhD application cycle. 20 apps, 14II, 12 interviews, 11 acceptances (including multiple to top 10 type programs I didn't even consider applying to for summer research) and am now a happy M2 at my first choice school. I even was able to be in a position to turn down interview invites at schools that had previously rejected me for these type of summer programs. Your life (and pursuit of medicine/science) does not end with these rejections/acceptances.

Keep fighting

Reactions: 8 users
So early. What's up with you kids.

Anyway, I did NIH SIP this past summer and it was the best research experience I've had so far. If anyone is looking into that feel free to ask questions.

Serious question, but what summer programs should I apply to as a Freshman? My resume is decent from high school, but nothing spectacular. I would basically only have 2 quarters worth of grades by the time I applied, and I'm not sure how strong LORs would be considering I haven't known my professors for long. I have a 330+ GRE score, so hopefully that'll help for the more research-based ones. Should I just spend my time shadowing and getting some research in? Really lost :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a SURF program at the university of kentucky last year and it was great. That may be one worth applying to.

Serious question, but what summer programs should I apply to as a Freshman? My resume is decent from high school, but nothing spectacular. I would basically only have 2 quarters worth of grades by the time I applied, and I'm not sure how strong LORs would be considering I haven't known my professors for long. I have a 330+ GRE score, so hopefully that'll help for the more research-based ones. Should I just spend my time shadowing and getting some research in? Really lost :(

Check out University of Tennessee Knoxville Microbiology REU , good program really focused on building your research skills. I got in as a freshman with zero research experience a couple years ago

@AutoclaveGuru Sorry, I should have specified that I'm studying in California, so I don't know if I have the money to travel out-of-state :/. It sounds like a great program though. My college's school of medicine is right next to the undergrad school I study at, and its pretty well reputed (one of my top choices). Should I try to email a bunch of different labs with my CV and hope that one of them offers me a research position? That way, even during the school year I can continue my research since I can literally walk to the school of medicine. And when do you think I should start emailing them? When do research positions usually start getting filled up? I understand getting a position is probably nearly impossible for a freshman, but I'm willing to try.

@SupremeDoc If you apply to REU or SURF programs the majority of summer research internships will pay for your flights and room and board.

Check out Pathwaystoscience.org

Working in a lab at your home institution is ideal because you have the chance to work for a longer time as compare to a 11 week internship, but I can attest after completing an internship every summer. You will learn a lot, make connections at many institutions, and most importantly explore a new city and make new friends.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey friends. Im currently a sophomore with no real research experience and I am a comp sci major. GPA at 3.43. Any programs within my shooting range or did I screw myself with my GPA?

Good Plant Research Summer Program (personal opinion from my participation or close friends)

Cornell
Boyce Thompson
Michigan State Plant Genomics
Boston University Surf
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center REU
Cold Springs Harbor
UT Knoxville

I just joined SDN after finding this thread--any suggestions on where to apply/tips for applying? I'm a sophomore with no research experience.

I just joined SDN after finding this thread--any suggestions on where to apply/tips for applying? I'm a sophomore with no research experience.

Pathwaystoscience.org

Pick the topic and find your perfect location and program bring your choices back and the community can give your reviews

Hello!

I’m a UChicago undergrad looking to apply to JHU SIP, Harvard SHURP and Weill’s Gateways through SR-EIP. Does anyone have any experience with these programs?

All the best,
G

Any programs for recent graduates?
I'll be graduating this December from undergrad, applied to med schools, but haven't gotten accepted yet. Did one REU at a different college and have lot of credit based research at my undergrad.

Hello!

I’m a UChicago undergrad looking to apply to JHU SIP, Harvard SHURP and Weill’s Gateways through SR-EIP. Does anyone have any experience with these programs?

All the best,
G

I participated in Harvard SHURP and have gotten into a Cornell SR-EIP (MBG-REU), what would you like to know?

This is my first post in sdn. I have a question for those of you who applied and got into these summer programs in previous years. Most of these summer programs are obviously meant for PhD-oriented students. Some applications specifically ask you in the application whether your top career goal is PhD or MD. For those of you who are premed, did you write in your applications that you were interested in applying to medical school, or did you leave your career goals somewhat vague. I would appreciate any insight on this issue.

This is my first post in sdn. I have a question for those of you who applied and got into these summer programs in previous years. Most of these summer programs are obviously meant for PhD-oriented students. Some applications specifically ask you in the application whether your top career goal is PhD or MD. For those of you who are premed, did you write in your applications that you were interested in applying to medical school, or did you leave your career goals somewhat vague. I would appreciate any insight on this issue.
lol, I know there are people here who won't take too kindly to what you posted. I mean, you may have worded it nicer and differently, but you're essentially just asking to what extent can you go around the system and still apply to these programs as a premed with the knowledge that most of these are looking for future PhD students, no? Anyways, I PMed you with some details. Personally, I can empathize with you. Even with programs tailored for those pursuing MD or MD-PhD aspirations, between 25-50% of the ones I encountered are either not truly benchwork research intensive or are restricted to URMs.

you're essentially just asking to what extent can you go around the system and still apply to these programs as a premed with the knowledge that most of these are looking for future PhD students, no?
Not exactly trying to ago around the system. I was just wondering what other applicants have done in the past. Or if anyone knows of programs that are tailored for MD-oriented students.

Not exactly trying to ago around the system. I was just wondering what other applicants have done in the past. Or if anyone knows of programs that are tailored for MD-oriented students.

I did multiple internships and on my apps during freshman and sophomore year I used PhD, not to get around the system ,but to see if research was for me or not. Junior year I specifically told them MD after realizing where my ambitions were headed

@AutoclaveGuru That's also what I was sort of worried about with applying for these programs. They understand that we are still not conclusive with regards to our future plans, right? I'm not sure if I want to pursue a PhD or not, but I would like to see if research is for me. And if I do end up taking the GRE to get into a competitive program, but then end up switching to just an MD-track, is it OK if I still put it on the AMCAS application?

@AutoclaveGuru That's also what I was sort of worried about with applying for these programs. They understand that we are still not conclusive with regards to our future plans, right? I'm not sure if I want to pursue a PhD or not, but I would like to see if research is for me. And if I do end up taking the GRE to get into a competitive program, but then end up switching to just an MD-track, is it OK if I still put it on the AMCAS application?

On my apps and the majority of my friends who are in med school and applying . Med schools want to see Research

I hope to apply to multiple Amgens. But each program asks two questions:

Have you participated in an Amgen program before?
Are you applying to other Amgen programs currently?

I assume that this is partially in line with the Amgen program's attempt to encourage student diversity, particularly with those from under-represented backgrounds.

Am I only applied to one Amgen? If I am applying to more than one Amgen and I state so in my applications, will that hurt me?

I hope to apply to multiple Amgens. But each program asks two questions:

Have you participated in an Amgen program before?
Are you applying to other Amgen programs currently?

I assume that this is partially in line with the Amgen program's attempt to encourage student diversity, particularly with those from under-represented backgrounds.

Am I only applied to one Amgen? If I am applying to more than one Amgen and I state so in my applications, will that hurt me?

I am also applying to more than one Amgens. I feel like they will take it into account but we have to tell the truth lol

I am also applying to more than one Amgens. I feel like they will take it into account but we have to tell the truth lol

I'm surprised more people who applied to Amgen already - let alone got in - haven't replied already. First of all, they ask if you participated in other Amgen programs previously to make sure you arent breaking the rules. If it wasnt clear, you can only do Amgen once.

Yes, you can apply to multiple Amgens and that in itself will not harm your application. However, it is extremely important to make sure you can demonstrate a commitment to research.

Btw, I would expect applications for columbia amgen to skyrocket.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I'm surprised more people who applied to Amgen already - let alone got in - haven't replied already. First of all, they ask if you participated in other Amgen programs previously to make sure you arent breaking the rules. If it wasnt clear, you can only do Amgen once.

Yes, you can apply to multiple Amgens and that in itself will not harm your application. However, it is extremely important to make sure you can demonstrate a commitment to research.

Btw, I would expect applications for columbia amgen to skyrocket.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Ag
On my apps and the majority of my friends who are in med school and applying . Med schools want to see Research
What's your background?

White people, did you get accepted to those Ivy league programs? I noticed many of them promote diversity, so I didn't both applying.

Applying to:
HHMI Janelia Farms Summer Research Program
Mayo Clinic SURF
UCSF Amgen
Columbia Amgen

Stats:
3.99 GPA in a Top 20 School
8 publications
Goldwater Nominee
3 years of cutting-edge neuroscience research

Last edited:
On average, how many programs do people apply to each cycle?

I'm thinking about:
HSCI
Harvard Amgen
GSK
Columbia Amgen
MIT Amgen
Stanford Amgen

Is that too many?

Is that too many?
As a long-term lurker at SDN, I know that people sometimes apply to up to 15 programs. Keep in mind that these programs have extremely low acceptance rates, so the more programs you apply to, the higher your chance that you will get in somewhere. If you have the time to work on many applications, and if your recommenders are willing to submit that many letters, then it is really better to apply to as many programs as you can.
That being said, I am applying to only three programs this year because they align the most with my career goals, and I didn't have the time to work on more applications.

I usually applied to 13 every year just to be safe

Hey guys, somewhat new in the process of applying to these things. I'm currently looking at the Columbia Amgen application on the question about prior research; it asks for the name of the principal investigator, an explanation of the project, etc. Though I don't have any formal research experience (in the context of it being under a PI's lab), but have done research projects/studies in other contexts, do you think it would be worth including for that question?

Hey guys, somewhat new in the process of applying to these things. I'm currently looking at the Columbia Amgen application on the question about prior research; it asks for the name of the principal investigator, an explanation of the project, etc. Though I don't have any formal research experience (in the context of it being under a PI's lab), but have done research projects/studies in other contexts, do you think it would be worth including for that question?

It won't hurt to mention it. I would put it so you don't look like a total noobie. Seems like the Columbia Amgen app focuses more on letter of recs anyways.

Hi!
I'm writing my personal essay to apply to the EU Amgen program..
Does anyone have some good piece of advise??

Applying to:
HHMI Janelia Farms Summer Research Program
Mayo Clinic SURF
UCSF Amgen
Columbia Amgen

Stats:
3.99 GPA in a Top 20 School
8 publications
Goldwater Nominee
3 years of cutting-edge neuroscience research

Have you heard from Mayo SURF yet? I know that the deadline is Feb. 1st but I wasn't sure if they sent out acceptances early. Did you apply to the Rochester labs?

Nope, only heard back from Janelia. Yes, I applied to Rochester labs.

OK, thx. Let me know if you hear something and I will do the same. Which labs did you apply to? I applied to neurobiology and immunology