**Summer postbacc coursework**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skbirdie510

Dr. K
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ideally would like to apply to medical school this year for admission in 2009. I'm thinking about taking a few postbacc courses this summer, and possibly a few in the fall.

My issue is that my science GPA is very low due to personal circumstances. I'm currently doing my MPH, but of course the MPH doesn't address the weak science GPA. Would taking science courses this summer and fall still give me a chance to apply for admission in 2009?

Members don't see this ad.

More than likely not. I have been told that one should ideally have all there info in by the beginning of July. You might be able to get the summer work in without much of an issue, but I don't believe the same answer applies for the Fall. Sorry.

I see your point, but what I'm confused about is that people that apply during their senior year of high school need to get in their fall grades anyways, so I figured that fall courses would be sent, in that case. Is that necessarily the case?

Well the difference here in applying is that if your GPA is low, just having fall and summer classes might not be enough to bring it up. Also there is a very extensive application process that takes a lot of time in the summer so even the UGs that are submitting fall grades at least have their applications in and are just submitting to keep schools updated. But once AMCAS calculates your science GPA and confirms your application, that's the primary GPA med schools are going to use to decide whether to interview. So even if you are submitting scores in the fall, they are being considered but not as much as the verified AMCAS GPA. Does that make sense? I would say hold out another year and increase your GPA this year and apply next year for 2010.