Summer Before 1st Year of Pod School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cohedo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you suggest that we take the summer before first year off, completely? Or, should you use the time to review things that may give you a foot up when it comes to classes?

If you think you should review things, can you provide lists of what you think would be a good place to start? If you are in pod school, can you also list which school and provide a list of 1st year books used in your courses?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT study anything prior to podiatry school. If you can't work hard enough during school to get a "leg up" on the competition then you are obviously not studying correctly. I just finished interviews and I'm completely burnt out. I was burnt out numerous times during the first two years of school as well. There will be plenty of time to be overwhelmed. Absolutely do not sacrifice whatever free time you have left to start studying now. Kick back, relax, chase after some coeds, go do some touristy stuff, do anything but study. It will actually do more harm than good. I'm a 4th year who is basically done, if you don't believe me then you truly are lost.
:thumbup:

Although, without knowing your background, I will say that if you have been out of school for a while, it may be beneficial to spend a little time right before school starts to try and figure out your strengths/weaknesses to learn how you learn the best to prepare yourself for whats to come. I am only a first year, and was out of undergrad for about 4 years and my head was spinning for the first couple months...but for the most part, I agree with Ankle Breaker: Have fun.

As for the books, I go to DMU and have have never used a book. Everything that you need is on the material given to you or online (at least to this point). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Do NOT study anything prior to podiatry school. If you can't work hard enough during school to get a "leg up" on the competition then you are obviously not studying correctly. I just finished interviews and I'm completely burnt out. I was burnt out numerous times during the first two years of school as well. There will be plenty of time to be overwhelmed. Absolutely do not sacrifice whatever free time you have left to start studying now. Kick back, relax, chase after some coeds, go do some touristy stuff, do anything but study. It will actually do more harm than good. I'm a 4th year who is basically done, if you don't believe me then you truly are lost.

I am not concerned about getting a "leg up" on competition. I was referring to having a head start on a massive quantity of information to intake (like origins, insertions, muscles, basic immunology, etc.) - not to be a gunner and stand out above my peers.

I do get what you mean by kick back and relax, and will definitely do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
(1) You won't study that much anyway. Let's say you put in 40 hours. That's less than 1 week of studying during school and it would be without direction, guidance, purpose. That time would be better spent biking, watching tv, lifting weights, or reading fiction, or digging holes and then refilling them.
(2) What would you actually study? What course? What material? In general teachers make their own material and that's what they want you to know. Unless you know your schedule in advance you might be studying for a course you won't even take until next semester.
(3) Material is meant to be learned, tested, and to a degree forgotten. I'm not advocating pump/dump. What I am saying is that I've had some classes I kicked ass in and I don't remember that much from them - that's just the way of it. When I'm re-exposed I pick them back up again quickly and find my core of knowledge is usually greater than I would have thought. We learn an enormous amount of stuff - gritty, specific details that there just isn't room for. The parts they really want you to keep they'll continue to expose you to again and again. I swore I wouldn't learn the coagulation cascade, but in the end DMU won (I think its come up in at least 6 courses). Testing is your opportunity to get that out and move on. You are suggesting studying without the opportunity to demonstrate mastery and move on.
(4) You really aren't going to be at any sort of advantage. I won't deny things get tight and crazy, but enough time is given for dedicated students to learn the material and do quite well.

Yeah, don't study before you start school because you'll wish you had just taken that time to relax when you had the chance. Besides you probably won't even know how to study the right way or even what material to study because as heybrother said, most professors have their own notes and their own way of teaching and testing the material.

And no one likes gunners :)

I was a gunner. It was fun.

Absolutely do nothing academic or try to prepare in anyway at all. This will be the last time that you get a true, relaxing break (or at least it should be) until after interviews your 4th year. Go in carefree and relaxed. As mentioned above, "studying" now would only be a massive waste of time.

I 100% definitely agree that you should sit back, relax, and have fun. I went to Hawaii, read a bunch of books (NOT medically related at all), and simply enjoyed life. I wouldn't change a thing.

Food for thought if you're serious about studying before coming to school: When I was a third year, there was an incoming first year who begged me to provide him with some lectures before school began. I explained to this student how important it was to relax and I really discouraged him from trying to "get ahead." Needless to say, he insisted so I obliged and sent over a plenty of lectures to keep him busy. In the end, however, the early exposure did not matter because he didn't make it through the second quarter of school.

Moral of the story: even having the material you will be exposed to does not guarantee success. Take the few months before school begins and do what you love. You'll have plenty of time to adapt to the massive amount of information that you'll be exposed to.

Start studying now. Don't take any time off. But seriously though I was out of school for three years before I started last fall and was wondering the same thing. I didn't look at a book and it didn't hurt me at all. Looking back at it you'll regret not enjoying your last summer of freedom.

I would suggest either taking an extended vacation if you can afford it, or go like backpacking if you can muster up te funds.

If not then go work for the summer to get some money to use during the year or make a dent in school loans.

I'd stay away from hard core studying and I would just do some basic stuff, maybe get a Biochem textbooks or Anat book and jus read a little to keep your mind sharp.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will just plan on working until I move - no studying outside of what I have to do for work.