Sulfa allergies and garlic consumption.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndi_amaka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my MS1 year so this question may be really dumb or be incomplete. Forgive me.

I'm shadowing a pediatrician and a 2 yr old black female comes in with a body rash that is red with raised small bump. She also has bloodshot red eyes (conjunctivitis?) Her mother says that she's had the rash since Friday (It's the following Wednesday morning). SHe had a fever of 101 over the weekend but arrives at the office with a temp of 97.

The child has a sulfa allergy and mom fed her spaghetti with a new Ragu sauce.She's fed her spaghetti and sauce before with no problem but she decided to try a new sauce. I didn't think to ask her what type it was. Other than that she doesn't know what else could have caused it since the girl hasn't been exposed to any other children (no daycare or school).

My question is...could the girl possibly be allergic to the garlic in the sauce? I was grocery shopping today and saw this new Ragu type that was heavy on the garlic and now I can't stop wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

ndi_amaka said:
I'm shadowing a pediatrician and a 2 yr old black female comes in with a body rash that is red with raised small bump. She also has bloodshot red eyes (conjunctivitis?) Her mother says that she's had the rash since Friday (It's the following Wednesday morning). SHe had a fever of 101 over the weekend but arrives at the office with a temp of 97.

could also be adenovirus or kawasaki disease. since the temp went down, i'd bet adenovirus.

Any other guesses?