Allergy & immunology fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amherejusttoobserve

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am applying for the peds residency match this year and my interest is allergy/immuno as fellowships. As an img how hard/messed up is that to get after residency?
I have 250s and 260s in step 1 and ck, since I did my residency before in my country and worked a bit I also have some research experience and published 55 articles (research articles, case reports, book chapters, letters to editors) all on PubMed. I have five research articles on asthma also as the first author.

Is allergy/immuno a contact-based fellowship ? or do they consider the whole profile of all applicants in most programs?

I know its a long shot for an IMG but I have a genuine interest in that field. Anything else I can do during residency (in the US) to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, AI is in the IM match, not the Peds match, so you’re actually competing against more people. It’s one of the most competitive Peds fellowships.

Not to say impossible, but you definitely need to do something to stand out, and find a mentor.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify for folks looking at this in the future: Though you are competing against IM for some spots, a lot of programs are split into IM spots and peds spots, and some only take Peds (duke comes to mind, NIH has three IM or peds spots and one peds only spot).

EDIT - just kidding Duke changed their stuff and takes all comers now!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users