suit necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dajalyn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all
sorry if this has been covered before. do we need to wear suits for interviews? see money's tight now and i'm wondering if a nice sweater/skirt combo or sweater/slacks combo is sufficient or should i break the bank and buy some sort of suit. thanks!~

Members don't see this ad.

You need to look professional. Women don't necesarily need a suit to do so, but choose your clothes with "professionalism" in mind.

And, yes, there have been some extensive threads about this before. :)

I would think of how much money you have already put into this process so far. I know money's tight, but another expense for some professional looking clothes is to me just be a part of the overall cost of getting in.
I bought a new suit, because mine was VERY old, and I wasn't taking any chances.
Why take the chance to have someone to decide you didn't put enough into your appearance, and give you a more negative review because of that.
DrMom hit it on the head though. If you have an outfit already that looks professional, then you don't need to spend more.
Ask your friends for some opinions on them, and go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW: for my interview I got a nice suit at a resale shop. Didn't cost much & still had the tags on it.

You may be able to find something without spending too much.

Yes, you may have spent a truck load of money to date, but imagine how crappy you'd feel if you didn't get in because the interviewer thought you looked too casual? That would REALLY blow.

Originally posted by VentdependenT
You will be the only male at your interview not wearing a suit. Why even put yourself in that position?
Not to mention, the only male wearing a skirt for that matter.... :laugh:

I haven't worn a suit to any of my interviews. Now granted, I won't find out about acceptances for awhile, I haven't felt out of place or noticed any disapproving looks.

I think that men need to wear suits because that's really their only option for professional attire. Women have a little more leeway, both in interview situations and in the business world.

Besides, I am willing to bet money that no one ever got rejected because they didn't wear a suit. Maybe because they wore something else that was crazy stupid, though.

I know money is tight but med schools are looking for clean cut well dressed students. A nice sweater and skirt/nice slacks may not be the best bet.

You don't have to go to Brooks Brothers and purchase a suit. The idea about the resale shop is a great one. Don't slack now, make a powerful impression with who you are and how you look!

here's the thing,
i really don't think the adcoms will care. i mean, I can't imagine them turning down a well-qualified (esp.female )applicant b/c she wasn't wearing a suit.
however, if you're the kind of person like me who worries a lot about what other people will think, then i'd say borrow a suit from a friend, your mom, or go to the juniors department of a department store and buy one of those flimsy $40 suits designed for teen girls; i remember trying some of those on and i was tempted to buy one cause it looked cute and you really couldn't tell the difference.
the thing is that on interview day, you're going to feel a lot of pressure and you want to do what will make you feel most relaxed and at ease and if that means looking like everyone else, (i know that's the case for me) then get a suit. if not, you are a strong female and i sincerely applaud you :)

You're telling me that you've spent thousands on an education, books, Mcat material/classes, applications, and who knows what else....and it's at this point that you want to concern yourself with whether you want a suit or not???

People amaze me.

Either buy a suit and return it or go to a thrift store and get one.

actually i have not spent thousands. i got through one of the best schools in the country based 99 % on financial aid. i did not take an mcat class but busted my but studying myself using my school books and an old mcat book a friend gave me. i got an amcas fee waiver to apply to schools. if they didn't accept the fee waiver, i couldn't apply. not that its any of your business.

some of us really are financially disadvantaged. guess you'll continue to be amazed if you assumed all of us are as well off as you are ;)

damn fee waiver people.

i make 14K a year with 2 dependents and lame ass fee waiver people messed up my app and i denied for a waiver. :mad:

but im glad someone got the waiver. make good use of it daj ;)
i am realizing how damn helpful it can be as i budget out my expenses every month...

but i think since you are a female you have more leeway in looking professional without the suit. ive seen girls wear a black business looking skirt and a collared shirt under a nice sweater...and they never looked out of place.

now if a guy came up without a suit....that would stick out.

jlee i'm sorry you didn't get the waiver! it really made this application process possible for me. good luck and best wishes. poor people unite!

Originally posted by dajalyn
guess you'll continue to be amazed if you assumed all of us are as well off as you are ;)

You know what they say about assuming? ;)

I'm not well off but I'm willing to do whatever is necessary for my dreams.

Go ahead and wear what you want....if you get in, you get in.

If you're a guy and you don't have a suit on, you may as well go naked because you'll stick out in the bad sense.

Originally posted by oldtimer
If you're a guy and you don't have a suit on, you may as well go naked because you'll stick out in the bad sense.

I think the original poster is female cuz "skirt" was mentioned.

I just don't think that interview time is the best time to stick out from the crowd. Especially when you will befacing someone for 30 minutes who has already interviewed hundreds of other qualified applicants.

I think this is crazy! If a guy doesn't wear a suit he will stick out in a negative way! The Admissions Committee doesn't care what you wear as long as you look professional. Wear something that makes you feel confident, not what everyone else will be wearing (unless of course, that's what you need to feel confident). There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of slacks with a button up shirt, nice shoes and a tie. Be yourself, not a clone!

I definitely agree on the wearing whatever is comfortable for you bit. But, I also think that a skirt might be better just because it's more "gender specific" and whatnot. I think that if you go with a business-like dress shirt and a business skirt then that should be fine. I don't particularly like wearing suits but I am wearing one so I'll feel more professional (and therefore hopefully act more professional. eek.). But that's just me.