Suggestions for Anatomy Prep.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DtothaO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm an incoming 1st year student. I was wondering if anyone could give me any helpful suggestions on how to independently prepare myself for anatomy before the first day of instruction. I have no anatomy background whatsoever.

Are there any books that i can purchase and study ahead of time? What are some of the main basics that i could memorize ahead of time? Also, if you are a current student at either Touro or Western...what books do you guys use for anatomy?

Thanks so much guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do anything!!! Just enjoy yourself before you start. You don't need to worry yourself about preparing. You'll do fine as long as you put in the work after it starts.

But, if you really really need to look at some anatomy beforehand, you can start out with "Atlas of Human Anatomy" by Frank Netter, it is the bible of anatomy atlas's.

Good luck.

For the love of all things decent...don't do anything!!!!

But...if you must...I recommend "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore if you're interested in a text with great pictures and tables.

Or, if you want to stare at an Atlas (which I would not recommend if you're only going to do choose one book), choose "Grant's Atlas of Anatomy." It's not the cult favorite like Netter is, but I think it does a better job showing us unique views of some harder to conceptualize areas (ie - ethmoid, sphenoid areas).

I must concur with the others. Don't do anything. I wouldn't even buy any books yet (simply because you might be tempted to try to use them ;) ). Any time you spend studying this summer is unlikely to be used well. You won't be the only one without anatomy experience and you'll be studying for many years to come, so enjoy your summer off. :D