Book Suggestions for Incoming OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoopy08

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask for advice for good summer reads before starting school. Any books pertaining to incoming medical students, perhaps particularly even osteopathic medical students, that would be on the top of your list to recommend? My hope is to have a decent list for myself/others perusing this forum to go off of - anything from anecdotal to factual!

Thanks, y'all

Members don't see this ad.

My school gave us a book called Being Mortal from Atul Gawande expecting us to read it. I didn’t and shelved it instead. I actually got around to reading it last year. I wish I would’ve read it earlier. It’s really good. I recommend it to anyone

Reactions: 2 users
For all medical students - When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

For osteopathic medical students - The D.O.'s by Norman Gevitz

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I read The DOs by Gevitz for interviews. Pretty interesting, albeit heavily biased.

You’ll read enough medical stuff soon. Read outside that now while you can. I didn’t read for pleasure again until fourth year.

May I suggest the Dresden Files?

I read The DOs by Gevitz for interviews. Pretty interesting, albeit heavily biased.

You’ll read enough medical stuff soon. Read outside that now while you can. I didn’t read for pleasure again until fourth year.

May I suggest the Dresden Files?
Agree with reading for pleasure while you can.
Agree with Dresden Files in particular.
Would also recommend Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson.

Oooh any good sci fi recommendations? I've been looking for good audiobooks to listen to while driving.

Oooh any good sci fi recommendations? I've been looking for good audiobooks to listen to while driving.
I listened to Artemis by Andy Weir when moving for medical school. It was fun and entertaining. The audiobook was narrated by Rosario Dawson

I listened to Artemis by Andy Weir when moving for medical school. It was fun and entertaining. The audiobook was narrated by Rosario Dawson
Good recommendation except I already listened to that one.... I've been hoping Project Hail Mary gets an audiobook release soon. I tried out The Murderbot Diaries but the writing kind of declined after the first 2 books.

Don't read. Sleep.

I feel like I need something to fill the other 14-18 hours in the day though...
More sleep. Alternatively, you could sleep some more. If you get bored of sleeping, you could try sleeping.
If you think sleeping is taking up too much time, you could also contemplate sleeping as a side hobby.
Maybe invite some people over for a sleepover where you could participate in group sleep.
I suggest dreaming of reading while sleeping. Then you could kill 2 sheeps with one book.

Last edited:
  • Haha
For Sci fi, if you didn't read Dune yet, it might be a good time. Enders game is great.

I read a lot of non fiction, maybe 15 to 20 books a year

My favorite this year
Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty

this will open your eyes to why conflicts of interest are so important, and why reading studies objectively without being spoon fed will help you make decisions

Reactions: 1 users
House of God. Emperor of all Maladies. Sapiens.