Suggestions for 3rd year away rotation? Looking for a good LOR at the end.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManBroDude

Half man, half bearpig
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, fine folks! I was hoping to spend one of my two electives at the end of 3rd year at a respectable pathology program where I can get a great LOR for interview season. I'm a 3rd year DO student in Nevada and I'd like to stay somewhere in the West. Step 1 low 230s.

Do you have any suggestions for places that you know accept 3rd year students? I'm afraid that if I go somewhere too competitive, the PD won't spend enough time with me to write a solid letter. If I go to smaller program, the PD could write a great one, but s/he may not be well-known nationally.

What should I do? (Thanks in advance for any replies!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, fine folks! I was hoping to spend one of my two electives at the end of 3rd year at a respectable pathology program where I can get a great LOR for interview season. I'm a 3rd year DO student in Nevada and I'd like to stay somewhere in the West. Step 1 low 230s.

Do you have any suggestions for places that you know accept 3rd year students? I'm afraid that if I go somewhere too competitive, the PD won't spend enough time with me to write a solid letter. If I go to smaller program, the PD could write a great one, but s/he may not be well-known nationally.

What should I do? (Thanks in advance for any replies!)

Hi there! Go to a place where they will get to know you really well. I rotated at several large places as well as small. I just finished my residency interviews for path and most places were impressed with the quality of the letter rather than the name behind it. I was told that one of my letter writers even wrote three pages and they were pretty impressed with that. So I would go to a place where they are able to know you well. It doesn't even have to come from a program director. It should come from an attending that you just connect with. Path residencies are basically looking for people who are passionate about their field and are good people to work with and are willing to learn. Also don't be intimidated by being a DO student. I am a DO student and got interviews at a bunch of big-name places and I was an average student with my step score less than average. I just did a lot of things geared towards pathology and a lot of programs saw that I really understood what the field was about. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited: