Successful Applicant Stats Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
those are some impressive stats Happycows! congrats :D

Members don't see this ad.

1st time applicant, 25 year old female, MA resident

Applied: Tufts, Colorado, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Washington, Edinburgh, RVC,
Interviewed:Tufts, Illinois, Iowa
Wait Listed: Colorado, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa
Rejected: Washington
Accepted: Tufts, Edinburgh, RVC
Attending: Tufts!

Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.7ish?
Science GPA: 3.8
GRE: 730Q, 670V, 4.5A

Veterinary Experience:
Total hours at time of application: ~2000 ( all from two small animal and exotics clinics)
I have also volunteered at several spay/neuter clinics doing surgical prep, never calculated the hours

Animal Experience:
~80 at a seal rescue clinic
Worked with mouse colonies as a part of my 2 year research position, never calculated the hours
~50 volunteering with the farm animals at Nevins Farm

Other jobs:
2 years full time as a research assistant in a lab at Children's Hospital Boston

Extracurricular/Community Activities:
2 years as the co-chair of the Biology Student Advisory Board
2 years as a representative for the Student Activities Council

eLORS:
1- DVM at the clinic I got the majority of my veterinary experience at
2- Professor who I took many Bio classes with
3- Professor/Chair of the Biology Department

Awards and Honors:
Dean's List
Magna Cum Laude
Awards for excellence in Biology and service to the department during my junior and senior years
Published in Molecular Cell in 2009

Personal Statement:
I focused on my journey to deciding on veterinary medicine, my specific interests within vetmed, and why I waited a few years out of college to apply

Some advice I really want to throw out there, have a lot of people read your personal statement. My draft one is completely different from draft done.

It is interesting to see what people have stated on their personal statement. However, remember your personal statement needs to be personal. There is no formula to it, just be you.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd time applicant, current grad student, 23 years old (24 in July), Female, Nevada Resident, WICHE applicant

Applied: Colorado State, Oregon State, Washington State (Utah State), K-State, Mizzou, Western U
Rejected: Colorado, Oregon, K-State, Mizzou
Interviewed: Washington, Western
Accepted: Utah-Washington 2+2 (still waiting to hear from Western)
Attending: haven't decided yet, but all I know is I am gunna be a doctor!!! :love:

WICHE: alternate

B.S.: University of Nevada, Reno; Animal Science
M.S.: in progress University of Nevada, Reno; Animal Science
Thesis: Improving agriculture literacy in elementary school students using undergraduate student interns

Cumulative GPA (including grad school): 3.2
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Grad GPA: 3.6
(not sure what the last 45 credits or science GPAs are.)
GRE: V480, Q540, W4

Veterinary Experience
Technician (not certified) @ all-feline vet clinic; appx 3600hrs
Manager of flock of 40 ewes for teaching/lambing; appx 300hrs

Animal Experience
Rodent trapping for data collection and research
BLM Wild Horse and Burro volunteer
University's meat plant
personal pet experience
zoo animal husbandry (thru the vet clinic i worked at)
pet sitting

Employment
Grad assistant @UNR
undergrad TA @UNR for anatomy
Kohl's
Carpenter's International Training Center
Lawlor Events Center
Lamb of God Lutheran Church

Honors/Awards
a bunch! I listed scholarships I received for undergrad, I got a lot of student of the month type of awards in high school, and I wrote a couple of grants for my research. The list is literally a page long!

Community Activities
even more! this list is literally double the length of my honors and awards list. i put everything from marching band (high school and college), to scrapbooking as well as the outreach I did as a part of my thesis research (i.e. guest mentor @ a 4-H camp)

eLORs
My committee advisor and former undergrad academic advisor (PhD)
Feline vet (former boss) (DVM)
Feline vet (DVM)
Close colleague who I TA'd for (PhD)
Close colleague who I am working on my research w/ (MS)
Large animal vet and director of lab animal medicine @ UNR (DVM)

Personal statement:
I ordered an $8 book on Amazon about writing the perfect personal statement and this book helped me SO much. I really do feel like that essay was perfect. I loved it. I t made my mom and advisor cry! I narrowed my main topics down to 2 really meaningful and UNIQUE experiences. My research has never been done before, so I started my intro with an anecdote about that. While giving examples of what I did, I was able to demonstrate leadership, attitude, abilities, etc. The other example I tied in was from last year during lambing. One of my ewes had quadruplets! I had to pull 3 of them and it was the most exciting moment of my life. So I was able to demonstrate my animal experience really well with that unique example. The personal statement is definitely one of the most crucial and agonizing parts of the application. I started it around this time last year and didn't finish until about 2 weeks before vmcas was due. Make sure the intro grabs the reader immediately and make sure you don't give a laundry list of what you've done. Give a few unique and descriptive experiences. And make your conclusion absolutely solid! I really am proud of mine and am willing to let anyone read it, just PM me.

Congrats to the others who have the exciting opportunity to post their stats on this thread this cycle! And good luck to those looking through the stats for what it takes to apply. I hope my application demonstrates to those with lower GPAs that veterinary school is definitely still within your reach!

2nd time applicant, 24 years old, female, North CarolinaResident

1st application cycle(2009)
Applied: NCSU, MSU – I was a resident for both schools (went to HS andcollege in MI and my parents moved during my freshman year, i.e.dual-residency…not that it worked in my favor!)
Rejected: NCSU
Waitlisted: MSU

2nd Application Cycle(2011!):
Applied (11!!): CSU, OSU, Purdue, MSU, Minnesota, VMRCVM, Kansas, Oklahoma,Tennessee, Guelph, NCSU
Rejected: CSU, OSU, Purdue, MSU, VMRCVM (technically “waitlisted forinterview” but I’m counting that as a rejection), Tennessee
Interviewed: Guelph, Kansas, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Michigan State
Accepted: Guelph, Kansas, Minnesota, Oklahoma, NCSU
Attending:NCSU!!!

Academics
Bachelor of Science in Zoology – MSU
Cumulative GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.35-3.4 (depending on what school you look at)
Last 45 GPA: 3.5
GRE (I took it 3 TIMES!!!): 740 Q, 590 V, 5.0 W

Everything in italics indicateswhat I had for my first application, un-italicized is to give an idea ofwhat I added over the past two years to make my application stand out betterand become a “well-rounded” applicant.

Veterinary Experience/ResearchExperience – so my school of choice was NCSU, and they count researchexperience under a PhD/MD/DVM as veterinary experience, so those are listed onmy VMCAS application as “veterinary”
-140 hours interning at a smallanimal/rural medicine clinic.
-1550 hours undergraduateresearch experience at MSU, 4 months full-time after graduation. Focus on lungtumorigenesis and inflammation and did lots of mouse work and cell culture
-3000+ research under an MD. We study hematopoietic stem cells andtheir role in the bone marrow niche to investigate translational roles toincrease success of adult bone marrow transplant. I do a lot of mouse work, andI work with human cord blood. This is my current job.

Animal Experience
-40 hours Food Animal: We raisedbroiler chickens for my animal nutrition class in undergrad
-56 hours shelter volunteer: walking/playing/training dogs, playing with cats,light kennel work

-128 hours equine,volunteering one day every weekend at a horse barn
-80 hours Technician Assistant (volunteer, 4hrs a week) at the Duke LemurCenter (helped maintain enclosures, shift animals, release for free-ranging)
-40 hours Research Assistant (volunteer) for a lab at the Duke Lemur Center (Igot to observe lemurs in Duke Forest and their enclosures scent marking andmating J
)
-70+ hours exotic animal volunteer work with the Carolina tiger rescue (animalcare). I started this in August and it is the only remaining volunteer animal workI do. I just don't have time to do it all with my full-time job any more

Employment (excludingpreviously listed research employment)
-24 hours MSU InternationalTeaching Assistant Buddy Program
-18 MSU International Teaching Assistant Orientation Leader
-360 hours undergraduate education assistant for an introductory biologicalscience lab
-960 hours as full-time nanny for the summer after my sophomore year and twochristmas breaks
-600 hours working at Blockbuster for the summer after my freshman year

Honors and Awards
-Abstract accepted at ASH 2010
-Presented two posters at twodifferent conferences (MSU Pediatrics Research Symposium, Undergrad ResearchForum)
-made the Dean’s list once (oops).
-Honor roll all through highschool
-Captain of Track Team andCaptain of Cross-country team
-Michigan Merit Award, ScholarAthlete Award
-Outstanding performer award,Most-Improved Runner

Community Activities

-Member of SADD, cross-country,track, and indoor track in HS
-Volunteered with my church andwent on a missions trip in HS
-Relay for life participant incollege
-Volunteer with RecreationalOncology program at Duke University Hospital
-Intramural soccer participantall 4 years of college!
-Volunteer at the Paws4Ever ReSale Store
-Completed my first half-marathon!

Explanation Statement
-I had a 0.0 for Biochem, I had a death in my family the day before anexam and needed to get home ASAP and could not get an excused absence for thisexam. It was a naïve decision at the time, and going on poor information,believed I could retake the course and have it “replace” this grade. However,for those of you that aren’t aware, some schools average these two grades whilesome schools do just take the one over the other in calculating your GPA.
-Explained what types of research I do (my experience section when intomore detail of the technical skills I have rather than the scope of my work)
-Explained that I retook two course at NCSU online after I graduatedcollege to replace the 2.5 I received in undergrad. And I got A’s J
-STUDY ABROAD! I wasn’t sure where it fit, but I studied abroad inKenya, Africa for behavioral ecology of African mammals, if you’re at MSU, DOTHIS!!!! BEST decision I ever made in my undergrad career!!!!!
-Independent study: I spent a semester analyzing novel puzzle box tasksin spotted hyenas to investigate individual strategies and observationallearning

Letters of Recommendation
-SA Vet (owner of thepractice I shadowed with, knows me verrrry well!)
-SA Vet (one of the other main vets at the clinic I shadowed at)
-PI at my current job at Duke
-PI from my research at MSU

Personal Statement
First off, I am horrible at writing about myself, or putting feelingsand reflections into words and paragraphs that make any point at all. AND, myfirst PS was crap. So my personal statement, for me, was my BIGGEST area ofimprovement, and in some instances, what I think got my interviews andacceptances. I actually wrote a lotabout being a second-time applicant and how I was devastated to not get in myfirst cycle, but how I demonstrated the perseverance and dedication I have tothis profession and continued to follow my dream of becoming a veterinarian. Istarted by talking about how I’ve become more well-rounded with new experiences(working with horses, lemurs, and tigers!)I then went on to say how while I’veenjoyed so many of the experiences I’ve had, my true interest is in smallanimal medicine, from my first experience, why I like small animal medicine,etc. What I think is the strongest partof my personal statement, is I have a clear goal of what I want a careerin. From my current research, I want to specialize in small animal oncology. Iended it pretty much stating I’m in this for the longhaul, I’m not going to give up, and I’m made up of all the stuff you want in aveterinary student and I will be a great asset to your school J

I am more than happy to share my PS, both the first and second one ifanyone wants an example of drastically different personal statements!

Advice (it's free, so you don't have to take it :)):
-Do a file review!!!! I did one at MSU and NCSU. MSU focused a lot ongrades and trying to bring that up and gain more experience. They were pretty“nice”. For NCSU, I left the room and cried in my car for about an hour. But,it was everything I needed to hear! I really wasn’t an impressive applicant thefirst time. Get more experience, improve your grades, stop glamorizing youressays and STATE your answer, be direct, don’t be so wordy, volunteer more, bemore concise. Yep, harsh, but so true.

-Don’t give up!!!! I never thought I would be good enough to get in. Iworked full-time, took two online classes while doing so, and volunteered 15+hours a week. Life was hell. Not to mention I moved to a new town where I knewno one and was in a long-distance relationship (not that this is a big deal,but it really affects things in a way you wouldn’t expect!!). And I justcouldn’t quit my job to work with a veterinarian, I needed to support myself!So I was very worried about that part of my application. But I am so happy nowthat I put myself through all of this hard work. The fact that this is allbecoming a reality this fall still literally shocks me every day. So foreveryone else out there, DON’T GIVE UP! It can and WILL work out J

2nd time applicant, 24 years old, female, North CarolinaResident

1st application cycle(2009)
Applied: NCSU, MSU – I was a resident for both schools (went to HS andcollege in MI and my parents moved during my freshman year, i.e.dual-residency…not that it worked in my favor!)
Rejected: NCSU
Waitlisted: MSU

2nd Application Cycle(2011!):
Applied (11!!): CSU, OSU, Purdue, MSU, Minnesota, VMRCVM, Kansas, Oklahoma,Tennessee, Guelph, NCSU
Rejected: CSU, OSU, Purdue, MSU, VMRCVM (technically “waitlisted forinterview” but I’m counting that as a rejection), Tennessee
Interviewed: Guelph, Kansas, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Michigan State
Accepted: Guelph, Kansas, Minnesota, Oklahoma, NCSU
Attending:NCSU!!!

Academics
Bachelor of Science in Zoology – MSU
Cumulative GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.35-3.4 (depending on what school you look at)
Last 45 GPA: 3.5
GRE (I took it 3 TIMES!!!): 740 Q, 590 V, 5.0 W

Everything in italics indicateswhat I had for my first application, un-italicized is to give an idea ofwhat I added over the past two years to make my application stand out betterand become a “well-rounded” applicant.
Veterinary Experience/ResearchExperience – so my school of choice was NCSU, and they count researchexperience under a PhD/MD/DVM as veterinary experience, so those are listed onmy VMCAS application as “veterinary”
-140 hours interning at a smallanimal/rural medicine clinic.
-1550 hours undergraduateresearch experience at MSU, 4 months full-time after graduation. Focus on lungtumorigenesis and inflammation and did lots of mouse work and cell culture
-3000+ research under an MD. We study hematopoietic stem cells andtheir role in the bone marrow niche to investigate translational roles toincrease success of adult bone marrow transplant. I do a lot of mouse work, andI work with human cord blood. This is my current job.

Animal Experience
-40 hours Food Animal: We raisedbroiler chickens for my animal nutrition class in undergrad
-56 hours shelter volunteer: walking/playing/training dogs, playing with cats,light kennel work

-128 hours equine,volunteering one day every weekend at a horse barn
-80 hours Technician Assistant (volunteer, 4hrs a week) at the Duke LemurCenter (helped maintain enclosures, shift animals, release for free-ranging)
-40 hours Research Assistant (volunteer) for a lab at the Duke Lemur Center (Igot to observe lemurs in Duke Forest and their enclosures scent marking andmating J
)
-70+ hours exotic animal volunteer work with the Carolina tiger rescue (animalcare). I started this in August and it is the only remaining volunteer animal workI do. I just don't have time to do it all with my full-time job any more

Employment (excludingpreviously listed research employment)
-24 hours MSU InternationalTeaching Assistant Buddy Program
-18 MSU International Teaching Assistant Orientation Leader
-360 hours undergraduate education assistant for an introductory biologicalscience lab
-960 hours as full-time nanny for the summer after my sophomore year and twochristmas breaks
-600 hours working at Blockbuster for the summer after my freshman year

Honors and Awards
-Abstract accepted at ASH 2010
-Presented two posters at twodifferent conferences (MSU Pediatrics Research Symposium, Undergrad ResearchForum)
-made the Dean’s list once (oops).
-Honor roll all through highschool
-Captain of Track Team andCaptain of Cross-country team
-Michigan Merit Award, ScholarAthlete Award
-Outstanding performer award,Most-Improved Runner

Community Activities

-Member of SADD, cross-country,track, and indoor track in HS
-Volunteered with my church andwent on a missions trip in HS
-Relay for life participant incollege
-Volunteer with RecreationalOncology program at Duke University Hospital
-Intramural soccer participantall 4 years of college!
-Volunteer at the Paws4Ever ReSale Store
-Completed my first half-marathon!

Explanation Statement
-I had a 0.0 for Biochem, I had a death in my family the day before anexam and needed to get home ASAP and could not get an excused absence for thisexam. It was a naïve decision at the time, and going on poor information,believed I could retake the course and have it “replace” this grade. However,for those of you that aren’t aware, some schools average these two grades whilesome schools do just take the one over the other in calculating your GPA.
-Explained what types of research I do (my experience section when intomore detail of the technical skills I have rather than the scope of my work)
-Explained that I retook two course at NCSU online after I graduatedcollege to replace the 2.5 I received in undergrad. And I got A’s J
-STUDY ABROAD! I wasn’t sure where it fit, but I studied abroad inKenya, Africa for behavioral ecology of African mammals, if you’re at MSU, DOTHIS!!!! BEST decision I ever made in my undergrad career!!!!!
-Independent study: I spent a semester analyzing novel puzzle box tasksin spotted hyenas to investigate individual strategies and observationallearning

-SA Vet (owner of thepractice I shadowed with, knows me verrrry well!)
-SA Vet (one of the other main vets at the clinic I shadowed at)
-PI at my current job at Duke
-PI from my research at MSU

Personal Statement
First off, I am horrible at writing about myself, or putting feelingsand reflections into words and paragraphs that make any point at all. AND, myfirst PS was crap. So my personal statement, for me, was my BIGGEST area ofimprovement, and in some instances, what I think got my interviews andacceptances. I actually wrote a lotabout being a second-time applicant and how I was devastated to not get in myfirst cycle, but how I demonstrated the perseverance and dedication I have tothis profession and continued to follow my dream of becoming a veterinarian. Istarted by talking about how I’ve become more well-rounded with new experiences(working with horses, lemurs, and tigers!)I then went on to say how while I’veenjoyed so many of the experiences I’ve had, my true interest is in smallanimal medicine, from my first experience, why I like small animal medicine,etc. What I think is the strongest partof my personal statement, is I have a clear goal of what I want a careerin. From my current research, I want to specialize in small animal oncology. Iended it pretty much stating I’m in this for the longhaul, I’m not going to give up, and I’m made up of all the stuff you want in aveterinary student and I will be a great asset to your school J

I am more than happy to share my PS, both the first and second one ifanyone wants an example of drastically different personal statements!

Advice (it's free, so you don't have to take it :)):
-Do a file review!!!! I did one at MSU and NCSU. MSU focused a lot ongrades and trying to bring that up and gain more experience. They were pretty“nice”. For NCSU, I left the room and cried in my car for about an hour. But,it was everything I needed to hear! I really wasn’t an impressive applicant thefirst time. Get more experience, improve your grades, stop glamorizing youressays and STATE your answer, be direct, don’t be so wordy, volunteer more, bemore concise. Yep, harsh, but so true.

-Don’t give up!!!! I never thought I would be good enough to get in. Iworked full-time, took two online classes while doing so, and volunteered 15+hours a week. Life was hell. Not to mention I moved to a new town where I knewno one and was in a long-distance relationship (not that this is a big deal,but it really affects things in a way you wouldn’t expect!!). And I justcouldn’t quit my job to work with a veterinarian, I needed to support myself!So I was very worried about that part of my application. But I am so happy nowthat I put myself through all of this hard work. The fact that this is allbecoming a reality this fall still literally shocks me every day. So foreveryone else out there, DON’T GIVE UP! It can and WILL work out J

I did an internship and volunteer work at Carolina Tiger Rescue!!! I loved it!!! I only stopped volunteering because I relocated....hope your experience was as great as mine!

So proud of you Katie8! You rock!! :D

2nd time applicant, 22 years old, Michigan resident.

1st application cycle
Applied: Washington, Missouri, Purdue, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Iowa State
Rejected Immediately: Washington, Iowa State
Waitlisted for Interview: Missouri
Interviewed: Purdue, Mississippi State, Kansas State, Minnesota
Rejected After Interview: Kansas State, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Mississippi State, Purdue, Michigan State

2nd Application Cycle
Applied: Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State, Kansas State, VMRCVM, Auburn, Mississippi State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri
Rejected Immediately: Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan State (grrrrr...)
Waitlisted for Interview: VMRCVM
Interviewed: Purdue, Ohio State, Kansas State, Auburn, Mississippi State, Illinois (declined)
Waitlisted: Auburn, Purdue, Kansas State
Accepted: Ohio State, Mississippi
Attending:.....??? :)

Academics:
Bachelor of Science (triple major) in Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Biology, and Animal Science & Chemistry minor from the University of Findlay.
Cumulative GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.54ish
Last 45 GPA: 3.60ish
GRE: 1280

Vet Experience:
-90 hours working on a mobile vet clinic in Cape Town, South Africa
-65 hours shadowing a large animal vet on farm calls
-450 hours shadowing a small animal vet
-30 hours of food animal handling classes taught by a vet
-30 hours of equine animal handling classes taught by a vet

Animal Experience:
-300 hours as a zoo intern
-50 hours working on a conservation project in Botswana
-145 hours volunteering at a no kill animal sanctuary
-15 hours as a kennel attendant at a small animal boarding facility
-150 hours visiting nursing homes as a Therapy Dog team
- At least 500 hours training/showing dogs in 4-H

Employment:
I worked as a lifeguard in high school

Honors:
-Graduated in the top ten of my high school
-Made high school honors list every semester
-Member of the University of Findlay's Honors Program
-Dean's List every semester
-Graduated Cum Laude
-Various scholarships
-Various high school sports/music/academic awards

Community Activities:
-UF Service Ambassadors
-Circle K Club
-High School Science Olympiad Regional Event Coordinator
-Pre-Vet Club
-Drama Club (HS)
-Varsity Soccer (HS)
-Varsity Swimming, Captain (HS)
-Marching Band, Concert Band, Steel Drum Band, City Band (HS)
-Science Olympiad Team (HS)
- Soccer Camp Instructor (HS)
- Key Club (HS)
- National Honor Society (HS)

eLORS:
-The two small animal vets at the clinic I shadowed at
-My advisor from undergrad, whom also taught several classes I took. He was also a vet.

Personal Statement:
I, uh, thought my PS kinda sucked. I'm not a super great writer...unles it's technical writing :) But if anyone would like to read it, they are more than welcome to PM me.

Advice:
If you don't get in on the first try, DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. I can't even stress this enough. Going through this a second time was not so bad. You know what you're doing this time around and aren't as nervous about interviews. At least I wasn't. I did a file review with Michigan State after I got waitlisted last year, and they told me I needed experience to make me stand out. They said my grades were fine and my GRE was fine. So I did a zoo internship and went to South Africa to work on a mobile clinic. If I hadn't been rejected the first time, I never would have got the opportunity to go to Africa :) So I reapplied and got in (but not to Michigan State....oddly enough they flat out rejected me this time....) and couldn't be happier!

Rxybrtn your stats are truly inspirational to me! It's people like you that make me want to keep trying :) Congrats to you!

Academics:
Bachelor of Science (triple major) in Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Biology, and Animal Science & Chemistry minor

Wow! That's shows dedication, and I think it's even more impressive because you maintained a good GPA. Congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a new poster, but I just wanted to say congrats, and thanks to the people posting on this thread! It's really helpful and inspiring to read a lot of the stories here. It's also cool to see people with stats similar to mine (who are also non-trad) getting accepted.

I did not know that "Pre-Vet' was a major.

Second time New Hampshire 22 year old applicant...

First time around:
Applied: Tufts, Mizzou, Penn, AVC, UTK
Interviewed: UTK
Waitlisted: UTK, Mizzou
Rejected: Tufts, Penn, AVC

Second time around:
Applied: Tufts, Mizzou, Penn, UTK, Washington, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado, VMRCVM, Dublin, Edinburgh
Interviewed: Tufts, Mizzou, Washington, UTK (declined interview)
Accepted: Mizzou, Tufts, Edinburgh, Dublin
Waitlisted: Washington, VMRCVM (maybe? on interview waitlist? doesn't matter though!)
Rejected: Penn, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado
Attending: MIZZOU!!!!!

BA in Biology, minor in music at Colby College (small liberal arts college in Maine)
Cum GPA: 3.68
Last 45: 3.93
Science (as calculated by Illinois): 3.5

GRE:
Round 1 - really low I can't remember! 400s V and 500s Q with a 5 writing
Round 2 - 580 V (82%) and 670 Q (63%) with a 5 writing
Round 3 - 560 V and 740 Q with a 4.5 writing (adjusted from new to old scoring)

For all of this stuff, I'm sure I'm going to forget A LOT!

Vet Experience (I'm going to be really brief with all this)
~1500 hours as vet assistant/tech at SA hospitals and no large animal experience at time of app
Since then, gained several hundred hours SA and ~100 hours LA
Going on World Vets trip soon to Ecuador on spay/neuter blitz trip

Animal Experience
Owning animals, volunteering, etc
Not really animal, but a TA for the lab for a class called Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (mostly dissections)

Research
None really, mostly working for two consecutive summers in an environmental impact study lab counting dead fish and fish eggs while inhaling formaldehyde!

Awards
Multiple Dean's List
Graduate cum laude and with distinction in the biology department
Winner of the Symphony Orchestra Prize at Colby College

Involvement
Basically all music groups... orchestra, flute choir, lessons, other various ensembles...

eLORS
1 vet I've worked under for a while
3 professors (1 music, 2 biology)

Personal Statement
Basically why I want to be a vet and what makes me special compared to other applicants! Emphasizing second year applicant, how that gives me perspective and discussing trip to Ecuador with World Vets and the vet I most admire!

+1 to the Colby College alums out there. :) Funny, I feel that we must have crossed paths at some point, because I TA'd CVA in the spring of 2007...

I did not know that "Pre-Vet' was a major.

It is indeed :) Or at least it used to be. That's THE reason I picked my undergrad school. It was the only one I'd ever seen that actually had a Pre-Vet major. We took stuff like equine and food animal handling, small animal medicine, food animal medicine, food animal reproduction, food animal nutrition....etc. Findlay designed their Pre-Vet major so that all of the vet school pre-reqs schools could possibly want were pretty much covered. For the Animal Science major we had to take more production oriented classes...like I took Forage and Crop Production and Swine Production. However, my class was one of the last to get the actual Pre-Vet major. I believe they have now made it Animal Science: Pre-Vet emphasis.

+1 to the Colby College alums out there. :) Funny, I feel that we must have crossed paths at some point, because I TA'd CVA in the spring of 2007...

That's awesome! I started at Colby in 2007, so I don't think I would've had much to do with CVA then since I took it in the spring of 2009 and TA'd in 2011. Are you in vet school?

Rxybrtn your stats are truly inspirational to me! It's people like you that make me want to keep trying :) Congrats to you!

Thank you!!! Keep up your hard work! If I can do this I know there are so many others who can too!

First time, Connecticut resident, 22 years, male

Applied: Cornell (DVM/PhD), Penn (VMD/PhD), NC State (DVM/PhD), Kansas State, Ohio State, Mississippi State (DVM/PhD)
Interviewed: Cornell (DVM/PhD), Penn (VMD), NC State (DVM/PhD), Ohio State, Kansas State, Mississippi State (DVM/PhD - declined)
Waitlisted: Nowhere
Rejected: Technically Penn/Cornell dual degrees I guess :D

Accepted: Cornell, NC State (dual degree TBD), Penn, Ohio State, Kansas State

Attending: Cornell

BS in Animal Science, minor in Molecular and Cell Biology
Cum GPA: 3.97
Last 45: 4.00

GRE: 660V (94%), 770Q (87%), 5.0 Writing (1 and only attempt):xf:

Vet/Animal Experience:
Farm (Cattle, poultry, sheep, swine, etc): ~550-600 hrs
Small Animal: 220 hrs
Zoo: 280 hrs
Feral cat spay/neuter: 100

Research: ~700 hours investigating potential of plant-derived molecules for controlling a multi-drug resistant bacterium. Publication (first author) anticipated this summer with thesis done by end of April

Awards
Dean's List every semester
Named undergraduate summer research fund/award
Honors Program/ University-level scholar program (individualized program of study)

Involvement
Mostly animal clubs, rooting on national championship basketball teams (hint on my alma mater here)

eLORS
Zoo vet
Research adviser/DVM
Anatomical Pathologist/Professor
Small Animal Vet

Personal Statement
A quick story of my development of interest in vet med as well as why I felt research was my area of focus / what contributions I could make to the profession through my interest.

Congrats Bismarck, kinda jealous you've made your decision already (though you kinda knew that)! Also, holy smokes your stats!

Those are impressive stats Bismarck! Congrats!

seriously impressive stats bismarck! congrats on your choice :) good luck at cornell!

Congrats Bismarck! As everyone else has mentioned, phenomenal stats! Your hard work really paid off!
OT: I own every season of Madmen, and fall asleep to episodes every night! lol Totally obsessed, I know...

I never really expected to get in this year. I decided on vet med much later in the game than many others so my veterinary experiences are rather different; I applied with a lot of breadth of different fields, but not so much depth. So very excited to be accepted!

Hours for veterinary experiences I tracked and are exact, but for animal and employment they're just the estimates I put on VMCAS.

Basics
1st time applicant, 21 years old, NCSU resident
Applied: NCSU
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Accepted: NCSU
Attending: NCSU!

Academics
Working towards a BS in Biology & BS in Interdisciplinary Studies (Self-design degree in human animal ethics). I'll only be finishing up the biology degree before attending vet school, though - I had planned on finishing both during a fifth year when I didn't get in, haha.

Cumulative GPA: 3.64
Pre-Req GPA: 3.53
Last 45 GPA: 3.69
GRE: 670 Q, 600 V, 4.5 W

Veterinary Experience & Research (And not a single one did I get paid for, argh).
12 hrs - Rural equine vet
29 hrs - VIDA Trip (24 small animal, 5 large animal)
205 hrs - Research assistant in a canine cancer genomics laboratory
8 hrs - Zoo veterinarian shadowing
192 hrs - Small animal & exotics practice
62 hrs - Operation Catnip, a trap-neuter-release program for feral cats
99 hrs - Various specialties at NCSU's teaching hospital (SA orthopedics, cardiology, oncology and dermatology; equine surgery, food animal and laboratory animal)

Animal Experience
20 hrs - Fostering two kittens for my clinic
12 hrs - Farm animal and exotics work at the Durham Museum of Life + Science
22 hrs - Basic equitation course to familiarize myself with horses
265 hrs - Volunteering, then working, as a docent at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences in a dry tropical butterfly exhibit. (I kind of loved clicking "other" for animal types and adding "arthropods")
25 hrs - Wildlife rehabilitation volunteer in high school
120 hrs - Unpaid TA for a human-animal interactions course
100 hrs - VIDA Volunteer Coordinator (for two years, now)

Employment
400 hrs - Working for Conference Services prepping rooms, helping guests, and manning a 24hr desk for two summers.
700 hrs - Working for University Housing in IRC, our residence hall association.
400 hrs - First volunteering, then working, as a TA for a online genetics in human affairs course. For the first year I was doing a teaching project on using interactive online content to increase learning (which I then presented a poster on), then afterward just served as a grading TA.
450 hrs - Working at Taco Bell during breaks.

Honors and Awards
- Various military scholarships (EOD, Marine Corps, ThanksUSA)
- Dean's List all semesters except one
- SAT & Crib to College Scholarships
- National Residence Hall Honorary Induction
- Congressional Bronze Award
- Couple others from high school

Community Activities
- Girl Scouts
- Teen Court
- GLBT Clubs
- Pre-Veterinary Medical Association
- Companion Animal Club
- Inter-Residence Council & Hall Councils
- Student Centers Board of Directors
- Cultural Correspondents (Did biweekly Skype sessions with a 2nd grade class while I studied abroad)
- VetPAC Internship

I also tossed in my hobbies of cooking/baking and drawing under here.

Explanation Statement
I listed the different clinicians I worked with at the vet school, since it didn't fit in the 480 characters I was alotted. Also I explained my IN in biochemistry and the reason I took statistics through a community college online instead of NC State.

- Pre-vet advisor at NC State
- My advisor, professor (3 classes), "boss" and mentor
- A veterinarian from VIDA whom I worked closely with on my first trip

Personal Statement
If you want to read it, just PM me. I talked briefly about my interest in other careers before veterinary medicine, then my scramble to gain different experiences while balancing academic and job commitments. I want to eventually specialize and teach as veterinary faculty, so I pulled in my experiences teaching and mentoring students both as a TA and VIDA trip coordinator to support that. The whole thing was also a giant metaphor for traveling on a winding road in Costa Rica... kind of tacky, but apparently it worked!

Supplemental Application
In lieu of interviews, NCSU has six 250-word supplemental essays asking several questions about different subjects. Throughout them all, I tried to show a intensive understanding of the profession to belay my lower number of experience hours, in addition to simultaneously presenting myself as a unique but well-balanced person. I was hoping to get some personality in, too - I compared myself to a platypus in the diversity one and joked about wanting to be the professor that never leaves in another. Once again, I can PM them to anyone who's interested.

Some Advice
Never, ever be afraid to ask for experience. Seriously. Show some enthusiasm and ask; the worst thing they can say is no or ignore you, and look, you're just back where you were before you asked. A lot of my experiences were more unique because they weren't through established programs or routes.

Also be persistent! I called my first clinic every three days when they kept telling me they'd contact me in a day or two. I think I ended up calling almost a dozen times, but I started there eventually.

Last edited:
Here's one for those folks that ask "do people get in OOS if they get rejected IS":

First time applicant, California resident, 25 y.o. male
Applied: Cornell, UC Davis, Ohio State, VMRCVM
Interviewed: Ohio State, VMRCVM
Waitlisted: Ohio State
Rejected: Cornell (figured), UC Davis (w/o interview)
Accepted: VMRCVM

Attending: VMRCVM? (If I get off OSU waitlist before June, I would likely go to OSU as tuition is about 20k less over 4 years as IS is a possibility)

BS in Biological Sciences with concentration in Biomedical Sciences (read: Pre-health) finished Dec 2012
Cum GPA: 3.54 (at time of application)
Last 45: ~3.75
Science: ~3.75

GRE: attempt 1 - 550V, 780Q, 4.5W; attempt 2 - 680V, 760Q, 4.5W (amazing what 2 weeks of a GRE vocab app can do!)

Vet Experience
~3000 Hours experience vaccinating, blood drawing/restraint, x-rays, running cbc/chem/fecal/urinalysis, humane euthanasia, prescription filling, fluids, CPV titer testing, vet correspondence, population management decisions at local animal shelter (Been a supervisor at this shelter for 2 years at time of app)

Also made it known during the interview that I had recently been offered a non-registered vet tech position at our high-volume spay/neuter clinic (broadening exp/plan B).

Animal Experience
~4000 hours kennel work, feeding, walking, giving meds at same animal shelter (worked at shelter for 3.5 years at time of app)

Awards
Dean's List most semesters
Lots of High School Scholarships

ELORs

2 UCD DVMs from shelter I work at
1 manager of animal shelter
1 Cell Physiology professor

Personal Statement
Went through about 6-7 revisions (had family, friends, vets, etc. read and comment) before a finished product. I didn't start college with the intent of going into medicine at all, so I discussed my journey of going from a directionless student at a distinguished university in the Bay Area to finding my path toward vet med while working 40+ hours per week on top of 14 units a semester as I finished my schooling at a much less known college.

Applied: VMRCVM (VaTech), NC State, UF, LSU, AVC (PEI), Auburn, UGA
Interviews: VMRCVM (Dual PhD/DVM, and DVM) , AVC, Auburn
Alternate: Auburn
Attending: VMRCVM (VaTech)

BS and MS in Marine Biology with over 250 credit hours with majority in Biological Sciences.
GPA 3.5 and 3.7
Over 8000 hours in Genetics Research
Shadowed Zoo Vet
Volunteered at small Animal Practice
Lots of animal handling experience during research
Horse Back Riding
Lots more info....but really to much to write.

To some, being accepted to Saint George's may not seem like a big deal. But to me, it is... Here goes.

2nd time applicant, 27 years old (28 next month ), current grad student, Female, New York state resident (thanks, Cornell. NOT).

I was going to apply right after college (I still have my 2004 edition VMSAR), but was afraid of rejection, and went into teaching instead. I don't regret anything, but am so happy to finally be pursuing my dream.

First time.
Applied: Cornell (haha), AVC, Western, UC Davis.
Interviewed: None
Rejected: ALL

Second time.
Applied: Minnesota, Mizzou, Purdue, Oklahoma, Kansas, Dublin, St. George's
Interviewed: Saint George's
Waitlisted: None
ACCEPTED: St. George's
Attending: Most likely SGU, but waiting to hear from Dublin. Who cares? I’m gonna be a veterinarian! :biglove:

Academics:
M.S. Math, Science, Technology Education (my vet school courses will transfer in (!!!), and I will finish up research on breaks- should be done next year).
Thesis: not sure yet… I’m hoping to incorporate education programs at the zoo or maybe somewhere down on the island.
St. John Fisher College
GPA: 4.0

NYS Certified Biology Teacher (7-12), August 2010

B.A. Biology
University of Rochester
GPA: 2.9 overall - Ugh. It hurts to admit that. :oops:
Cum w/ grad school: 3.2 ish?
I currently have about a 3.6 this semester. I’m taking Biochem, Cell Bio, and Animal Nutrition. All online and all while working 50 hours a week!

GRE: V 480 Q 520 W 4.0 (Took it twice & studied… whatever).

Vet Experience:
10,000+ small animal at private practice. I’ve been working there for 6 years.
100 hours small animal shelter medicine (volunteer)
10 hours equine ride-along with vet

Animal Experience:
100 hours dog walking at humane society (volunteer)
3 hours observation of cattle farm (not sure if this counts for anything, but I put it down anyway).
50 hours equestrian team for undergrad
50 hours zoo keeper assistant
Personal pets (love my newfie girl J)

Employment:
Vet assistant for the largest veterinary private practice in the US! (currently)
Teacher at a private school for kids with learning disabilities (currently)
Private Biology tutor (last semester)
Waitress at 3-4 different restaurants
Legal Assistant

Honors:
Phi Delta Kappa nomination for excellence in graduate school
Elected for the NAPDS program for student teaching in graduate school
National Honor Society – high school
National Foreign Language Honor Society – high school

Community Activities:
Moderator for the American Sign Language club at the school I teach at
Member of the corps de ballet, Western NY Ballet Company
Writer for Pet Tales Magazine
Habitat for Humanity volunteer
Science Olympiad volunteer in the Bio Process lab
Concert Choir in college
Tennis and softball in high school

eLORS:
Small Animal vet and President/CEO of Monroe Veterinary Associates
Small Animal vet and director of one of our local hospitals (Also a SGU grad!)
Small Animal vet at hospital I work at (for Dublin only- she went there)
Advisor for my graduate program @ SJFC
Supervisor/Principal at the school I work at

Explanation Statement:
While most people have amazing college experiences, mine was less than enviable. I’ve suffered from anxiety disorder since I was 10, but over the past several years, it has developed into panic disorder. I refused to go on medication for a long time. I didn’t want to “need” meds- I wanted to be able to overcome it on my own. In college, it got so bad that I didn’t want to leave my house. I missed classes and put so much on my plate that I broke down. I couldn’t handle it, and I felt like a failure. Afraid of becoming agoraphobic, I finally saw my doctor, went on daily meds, and haven’t looked back. This was a few years back now, and I can’t tell you how much my life has changed for the better. I will never get those terrible grades off of my transcript, but it is a constant reminder that I CAN overcome this, I DID overcome it, and I will CONTINUE to overcome it. In the words of T.S. Eliot, “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

YAY jemappellejane! I am so HAPPY to see you posting here!!!!!

I am suuuuuper excited for you :love::biglove:

I cant wait to hear from you in the future :D

To some, being accepted to Saint George's may not seem like a big deal. But to me, it is... Here goes.

I think it's a big deal! You're gonna be a vet! That's all that matters right now. If that's the way you need to take to get there, then so be it! :)

I think it's a big deal! You're gonna be a vet! That's all that matters right now. If that's the way you need to take to get there, then so be it! :)

:thumbup: Congratulations JMJ!

SO stinkin happy for you!!!!!! You totally rock! All of your negative experiences must make you feel even more accomplished! I know mine do!

Congratulations!!!
:D:D:D :highfive: :clap: :bow: :soexcited: :hardy:

it is DEFINITELY A BIG DEAL!!! Ditto to everyone else, YOU'RE GOING TO BE A VET :biglove:and that's all that matters! Congrats JMJ! Very happy for you!

JMJ, you're so inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're not afraid of rejection anymore!

Thanks to each and everyone of you, including anyone that's contributed useful, thoughtful, or encouraging posts on this forum. I would not be in this position, and feel so awesome about it, if it wasn't for you. Seriously. :biglove::biglove::biglove:

First time applicant, Oregon resident, 21 year old female
Applied: Oregon State
Interviewed: Oregon State
Accepted/Attending: Oregon State!

Working on a BS in Animal Science (Oregon State has a 3 year plan where you can apply to vet school during your 3rd year of undergrad. My first year of vet school will count as my last year of undergrad, so I won't technically have my BS until Spring 2013.)

OSU GPA 4.0
Cum GPA: 3.9 (includes other colleges I have attended besides OSU)
Last 45: 4.0
Science: 4.0

GRE: 460V, 640Q, 3.5W (I know it's terrible. I had a very bad day and it definitely showed. I planned to retake it, but the new GRE wouldn't send out scores soon enough. Luckily it was good enough for OSU!)

Vet Experience
~1000 Hours Vet Experience (restraints, blood tests, vaccinating, cbc/iof/fecals/UAs, etc). This includes work at 4 different hospitals (one during high school and a different clinic every summer during college; all hours were from small animal clinics)

Animal Experience
~1500 hours (lambing volunteer, humane society volunteer, zoo volunteer, animal science labs, etc)

Community Activities
Intramural sports
Pre-vet club
Rugby
Land Restoration
Native Tree Plantings
Graffiti Clean Up
Student Council
Basketball Camp Counselor
etc

Awards

College:
Dean's List every term
Campbell Family Scholarship
Jim and Dee Davis Scholarship
Charles, Fern, and Mary Hecht Scholarship
Drucilla Shepard Smith Award
Montebego Scholarship
Shockwave Most Inspirational
etc

High School:
Athlete of the Month
Many other random athletic awards
Valedictorian
Elk Club Student of the Month
etc

ELORs

2 Veterinarians from Banfield Pet Hospital
1 College Advisor
1 High School Counselor

Wow PreVetBeaver, thanks for posting - really impressive stats!

Thanks for posting PVB! Congrats again! :zip:

.I remember seeing this thread years ago praying I would get to post here one day....
.Today is the day!!!!!! :D
.1st time applicant, non-traditional.
.25 years old.
.Female (shocker ;) ).
.Florida Resident

Applied (12:eek:): Auburn, CSU, Cornell, Florida, K-State, LSU, NCState, OkState, UC Davis, U Penn, U Tenn, Western
.Interviewed.
.: Auburn, K-State, Western, Florida, U Tenn (declined).
.Rejected.
.: Cornell, U Penn, UC Davis, NC State, K-State .
.Waitlisted.
.: Auburn, LSU, Ok State, CSU
Accepted: Florida, Western, LSU, OK State, CSU
Attending: :cool: Florida :cool:

Academics
Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences - Florida State University (GO NOLES!)
Cumulative GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: 3.65
GRE (I took it twice): 1st time: 430 V (43%), 600 Q (47%), 4.5 W (67%)
.2nd time: 520 V (68%), 730 Q (77%), 4.5 W (67%).
.I took these less than 20 days apart after completely freaking myself out the first time, and saw a HUGE difference, especially in percentages. Relax, stay calm, you can do it!!!! Relaxing was the only thing I did differently for the second one! Wooosa!

Veterinary Experience
.-1700 hours SA practice as a veterinary technician.
.- 1550 hours Mixed practice as veterinary technician.

.Animal Experience.

.-2,000 hours Food Animal/Equine through FFA and 4-H (4 years of high school).
.-1,000 hours as a canine foster for local rescue.
.-100 hours at Syracuse Spay and Neuter Clinic.
.-350 hours pet sitting.

.Research.

.-1 year of research on Canine Idiopathic Epilepsy.
Employment (most of these during my “gap” years)
- 1 year experience as a biochemist at Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Company (current job).
.- 1 year as a lab technician at Byrne Dairy, Inc. (Licensed to test dairy products for human consumption safety).
.- 1 year as a licensed bartender (worked here and a veterinary clinic from 7am - 3am, 7 days a week… awful, awful year of my life, great paychecks, no time to spend them lol).
.- 4 months as an Environmental Field Technician in the Florida Everglades.
.- 4 months as an Exotic Species Technician at a Florida State Park.
.- Other jobs in high school and college not worth mentioning on here lol

Honors and Awards
- Dean’s list all 8 semesters of undergrad
.- Graduated Cum Laude .
.- “Best Fundraising Team” (of 118 teams) and “Team of the Week” as captain of the BBB Biological Honor Society at FSU’s American Cancer Society Relay For Life. (This came up in several interviews. I guess it was a good thing I put it on my app.).
.-Phi Eta Sigma NHS.
.- National Society of Collegiate Scholars.
.- Bright Futures 100% scholarship.
.- Community Chest scholarship.
.- Florida All-State Choir invitation and attendance 5 consecutive years.
.- Pathfinder nominee (One student chosen from each high school. I was chosen for vocal performance/ academics. This damn thing was almost worse than applying for vet school. The packet was 120 pages thick of stuff I had to fill out lol)..
.- Critic’s Choice award at the International Thespian Society State competition..
.- Who’s Who Among Students (who isn’t? :p).
.- Macy’s Day Parade performer for 4 years..
.- “Superior” ratings at Florida Music Educators’ Association vocal competition for 4 years. .

.Community Activities.
..-.. Syracuse Spay and Neuter Clinic.
.- American Cancer Society.
.- Habitat for Humanity.
.- FSU Pre-veterinary Club.
.- BBB Biological Honor Society.
.- Seminole Student Booster.
.- Hobe Sound Child Care Center mentor.
.- High school Jazz Band singer.
.- President and student conductor of my high school show choir.
.- President of Drama Club.
.- FFA/ 4-H.
.- International Thespian Society.
.- Florida All-State Choir.

Explanation Statement
- I explained a drop in course load and grades due to my fiancé (at the time) becoming physically abusive, becoming addicted to cocaine, stealing all of my tuition scholarship, and totaling my truck into a tree. I explained that the court dates and fees made it impossible to continue schooling full time and at level of acceptable academic performance. I explained how the only reason I didn’t give up and drop out was because of my determination to attend veterinary school.
- SA Vet (owner of practice)
.- SA Vet at same practice ^^.
.- Mixed Vet (owner of practice)
- Manager of veterinary practice (I think it was UTK that wanted a managerial person???)
.- My animal behavior professor who is awesome .:).

Personal Statement
- I began with a story about my initial curiosity into veterinary medicine. I then talked about the things I loved as a practicing technician to showcase my knowledge of the profession. I touched on the traits I feel are necessary in the veterinary field (patience, communication, desire for continued education, etc.) and gave specific examples of situations where I demonstrated these traits. I wrote about how my experiences led me into my interest in food animal medicine and marine mammal medicine, and the ways I would bring diversity to a veterinary class (my music and outdoorsman activities).

.- I applied to 12 schools this year because I was so nervous I wouldn’t even get a single interview and wanted to give myself the best chance possible. I am completely overwhelmed at the positive feedback I have received from schools. I never even thought I would get a single interview, let alone good news from 8 schools! I can’t even believe I am going to finally be a veterinarian. .
.If I could give one piece of advice… don’t ever say “put a little pink in me” in response to an interview question about “human euthanasia”:confused:. Hence my BOMBED K-state interview and eventual rejection :laugh:. .

Last edited:
WOW Emiloo! Look at all those accomplishments!

I can't even READ them all! Too long to read! My eyes, my eyes! :)

WOW Emiloo! Look at all those accomplishments!

I can't even READ them all! Too long to read! My eyes, my eyes! :)

:laugh: I pretty much copied and pasted my application. I figured nothing could hurt to put in there. :oops:

Emiloo, you have great stats!! Of course you would be posting here this year! :D

I am glad to see you didnt let those personal obstacles stop your from achieving your dreams :) Congratulations!

Emi, you're AMAZINGGGG!!!! Seriously, your stats are awesome- you freakin rule, chicka :D I can't believe you DIDN'T think you'd get in... Silly girl :p Gaahhhhh I'm so happy we're going to vet school!!!

Emi, you're AMAZINGGGG!!!! Seriously, your stats are awesome- you freakin rule, chicka :D I can't believe you DIDN'T think you'd get in... Silly girl :p Gaahhhhh I'm so happy we're going to vet school!!!

I think because we are told how hard it is and all my life it has never been anything my family has supported me much on bc they hear that it's impossible and yadda yadda, so it always felt very far away to me. NOT ANYMORE!!!! :D With this app process you can never really be sure of anything :scared:.
Thank you for everyone's support! I couldn't have done it without any of you! (Well I could have, but I would have had 20 panic attacks and it wouldn't have been nearly as fun :p). VET SCHOOL HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!! :soexcited::woot::hello::claps::biglove:

1st time applicant, 23 y/o female, Virginia resident

Applied: VMRCVM, UPenn, Cornell, Illinois
Rejected: Cornell (immediately, lol), UPenn (in March!?)
Accepted: Illinois, VMRCVM
Attending: VMRCVM <3<3

Stats:

International Baccalaureate, June 2007

B.S. Biology, May 2012
B.S. Business Management, May 2012 - Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Technology option

Cum. GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.54
Last 45 hours: 3.64

GRE: 1320
Verbal - 650 (93rd percentile)
Quantitative - 670 (63rd percentile)
AW - 4.5

Veterinary Hours:
800 small animal

Animal Hours:
580 zoological
195 companion animal
10 large animal

Research Hours:
255 Avian Immunology (chickens)

Honors and Awards:
Omicron Delta Kappa
Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges
Virginia Tech: Founder's Day Student Recognition Banquet
Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society (President)

Extra-cirriculars:
Theta Delta Sigma Society, Incorporated (Charter President)
National Society of Leadership and Success (Success Networking Team President)
Marching Virginians - Flag Corps

:love::love::love: