Successful Applicant Stats Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A sliver of light for those with low GPA's.

Third time applicant (first time as Junior?!?), male, 24 years.

Educational background: Undergrad in Animal & Veterinary Science - pre-vet option. Finishing up a master's in Animal and Range Science - Ruminant nutrition

Applied: (this time) WSU, CSU
Interviewed: WSU
Rejected:
Waitlisted: WSU
Accepted: CSU, WSU
CSU!

Cum GPA: 3.1 for undergrad
Last 45 credit hrs: An improvement. Master's GPA was 3.6
Science GPA: Not great. Don't know the actual number.
GRE: 510 V, 640 Q, 4 W

Veterinary Experience:
-3000h of Equine
-500ish of Mixed practice

Animal Experience
- I think I had a over 25,000h cumulative. Raised on a horse boarding facility, 4-H and pretty much anything else.

Employment:
-Almost anything related to horses
-vet assistant
-nutrition lab tech
-Tons of others- Jack of all trades, master of few

eLORS:
- Pre-vet club adviser
- Equine vet I worked with
- Major adviser

I worked a bunch as an undergrad and my grades suffered. My grades improved during my master's.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1st time applicant Minnesota Resident, 23, Female BS from Winona State

Applied: Minnesota, Edinburgh, London, Massay (New Zealand), Louisiana, Virginia, Iowa
Rejected: Louisiana (missing a requirement) and Virginia
Interviewed: Iowa and Minnesota

Waitlisted: Iowa (9) and Minnesota (32)
Accepted!: Iowa, Edinburgh, London, and Massey
Attending: Iowa

Stats:

Cum. GPA: 3.97
Last 45: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.95 or something

GRE: 490 Verbal, 710 Qual, 4.5 Analytical

Veterinary Experience
I shadowed a vet at the humane society for a couple days a week a semester and I helped at trap-neuter-release program they held for feral cats

Animal Experience:
500 hours volunteering at a shelter

Employment:
Lifeguard/manager at a aquatic park
Math tutor at my college

Letter of Rec:
1 from the medical volunteer at the humane society
1 from a professor
1 from my boss of 8 years

Personal Statement: I talked about how I was late in my decision for becoming a vet and how I knew I wanted to be a vet when I saw the doctor perform surgery on a kitten with an ulcerated eye. The kitten died on the table and the way the doctor reacted to losing the kitten who really held no personal significance to her. then I ended with a mumford and sons quote (which in my opinion is why I got in :laugh:)

But seriously I do not know how I got into Iowa..I mean my veterinary hours are seriously below average (this due to me deciding my senior year I wanted to be a vet) I am just in shock right now!!! I do believe I had a really really good interview at Iowa I got the interviewers laughing and asked them some good questions so I think that is what got my into the school...

1st time applicant, 22 years old, female, CT resident
Interested in lab animal medicine
Applied: Ohio, Iowa, Tufts, NCSU, Colorado, Ross
Interviewed: Iowa, Ohio, Ross
Accepted: Ohio, Ross
Attending: Ohio!

Education: UCONN
Cum GPA: 3.57
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.42
Science: 3.13
GRE: 630Q, 480V, 4.5 writing

Honors and Awards:
-Dean's List some semesters
-American Society of Animal Science Undergraduate Award 2010, 2011
-American FFA Degree recipient

Veterinary Experience:
Veterinary assistant at a small animal practice ~1000 hours

Animal Experience:
Intern at biopharmaceutical company ~500 hours
Research project with sheep ~100 hours
Boarding kennel attendant ~500 hours
Animal care tech at a boarding/grooming business ~130 hours
Cat shelter volunteer ~500 hours
Some showing (poultry and dairy)

Extracurricular activities:
Sigma Alpha Agricultural sorority: 2 years as President, 1 year as Treasurer
Recruitment program for the university (showing the campus to high school juniors and seniors)
Alpha Zeta honors agricultural fraternity
Marching Band (1 semester)

Letters of recommendation:
2 Veterinarians
1 Academic Advisor
1 Research Advisor

Members don't see this ad :)
1st time applicant, 22 years old, female, CT resident
Interested in lab animal medicine
Applied: Ohio, Iowa, Tufts, NCSU, Colorado, Ross
Interviewed: Iowa, Ohio, Ross
Accepted: Ohio, Ross
Attending: Ohio!

Education: UCONN
Cum GPA: 3.57
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.42
Science: 3.13
GRE: 630Q, 480V, 4.5 writing

Honors and Awards:
-Dean's List some semesters
-American Society of Animal Science Undergraduate Award 2010, 2011
-American FFA Degree recipient

Veterinary Experience:
Veterinary assistant at a small animal practice ~1000 hours

Animal Experience:
Intern at biopharmaceutical company ~500 hours
Research project with sheep ~100 hours
Boarding kennel attendant ~500 hours
Animal care tech at a boarding/grooming business ~130 hours
Cat shelter volunteer ~500 hours
Some showing (poultry and dairy)

Extracurricular activities:
Sigma Alpha Agricultural sorority: 2 years as President, 1 year as Treasurer
Recruitment program for the university (showing the campus to high school juniors and seniors)
Alpha Zeta honors agricultural fraternity
Marching Band (1 semester)

Letters of recommendation:
2 Veterinarians
1 Academic Advisor
1 Research Advisor

Yay Buckeyes! Can't wait for August :love:

First time applicant, 22 years old, Female, California resident.
Applied: Edinburgh U, RVC, Massey U, Glasgow U, UC Davis
Interview: Glasgow U, UC Davis (I declined the interview)
Accepted: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies (Edinburgh), RVC, Massey U, Glasgow U
Attending: Edinburgh!!!

Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.73
Last 45 credit hrs: 4.0
Science GPA @ time of application: 4.0
GRE: 154q, 159v, 3.5 AW *I took the new GRE once, and very last minute. I wish I had the time to study for it but I guess it didn't matter after all!

Veterinary Experience:
-1400 hours working at a small animal hospital as a vet assistant. We also saw exotics, birds of prey, and wildlife. (this is the number I put on VMCAS, but I continued working there up through last month)
-150 hours interning at the Inland Valley Humane Society Vet Hospital
-20 hours shadowing a traveling orthopedic surgeon
-30 hours assisting Western U vet classes held at the animal units (beef, sheep, swine) I lived on.

Animal Experience:
1520 hours of wildlife rehabilitation and animal fostering. The number of hours was much more than that but I didn't have contact for a lot of the time so I only listed what I could reasonably prove. I've been doing it since I was a kid and I love it!
-1737 hours of paid animal experience working at Petsmart. I took care of the animals in the store.
-736 hours as a paid farmhand living at my UG's beef cattle unit, maintaining the herd and facilities. I even grew the hay pastures for the cattle.
-1260 hours as a volunteer farmhand at my UG's beef, sheep, and swine units
-1824 hours of Equestrian pleasure riding. My grandma had me working with her horses since before I can remember. I mentioned that I learned how to properly handle, maintain, ride, and interact with horses.
-612 hours on my UG's intercollegiate horse show team.

Other employment:
-320 hours working in student housing at my dorm

Extracurricular/Community Activities:
-2 years on my College's Council as an elected board (treasurer and then publicity). We basically managed clubs, distributed club funding from the University, hosted beautification events (we would get clubs to meet up and clean/touch-up school facilities) and held community outreach/charity events.
-3 years performing in my UG's concert choir
-12 years playing soccer
-15 years doing art: b&w photography/modeling, figure/portrait drawing, painting, silk-screening, charcoal, you name it.
-7 years of musical theater! I miss it so much!
-18 years dancing. Some of it was on 2 competitive teams, some in classes, and some in performances.

eLORS:
-vet from the SA vet hospital I worked at
-my academic adviser/teacher and head of the Animal Science Department at my UG
-a vet that was also my teacher in UG. I was he and his wife's pet/house sitter multiple times

Awards and Honors:
-Dean's list 9 quarters
-President's List 2 years
-Inducted into the Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
-I had a poem published in 2006 (random, I know)

Personal Statement: I wrote about my mother encouraging my passion for animal rehabilitation. She enrolled me in a day course offered by a local vet hospital going through a vet's day to day business; I was immediately smitten with a vet's career. I then talked about overcoming her death and how it only strengthened my desire to become a vet. I described my efforts and experiences towards getting into vet school. I finished up by outlining what my career goals were as a veterinarian. I really think my passion and my ability to overcome adversity was really important. I had an RVC alumni that assists with their North American admissions (also happens to be my teacher) read it over for me, revision after revision. I had everybody read it and give me input which was really helpful; my housemate (my fifth reader) pointed out that I said I used to drink out of dog "bowels" when I meant "bowls"! No one else had noticed it! That would have been a strange read. :laugh:

Explanation section: I had 2 Ws which really had me scared. My vet/teacher said to just be honest about the issues that caused them and that it would be fine. It was. No one ever asked me about it. I just wrote that I was still depressed my first couple of quarters following my mother's death. My lack of mental health coupled with a serious head injury got me off to a rough start in college. I took a quarter off, came back to school refreshed and happy. I then proceeded to kick ass in class. I finished strong and that is what the adcoms cared about.

I almost threw in the towel a few times and I am so glad that I pushed through it all. I can't believe I am finally going to the vet school of my dreams! :love:

Congrats to everyone on getting in! I love reading your stats! I'm so excited/nervous/terrified to reapply this year, but I'm soaking up all your advice! Keep the posts coming!

BKT- impressive stats! Congrats on all your choices!! Can I ask what made you more interested in going abroad vs the US? (I'm assuming this by all your choices!) I wish I had applied to Edinburgh, but at the last minute backed out because I thought I wouldn't be competitive enough. Congrats again!!!

BKT- impressive stats! Congrats on all your choices!! Can I ask what made you more interested in going abroad vs the US? (I'm assuming this by all your choices!) I wish I had applied to Edinburgh, but at the last minute backed out because I thought I wouldn't be competitive enough. Congrats again!!!
Thank you Katie8! I'll send you a PM. :)

First time applicant, Texas resident, 21 year old female
Applied early

Undergrad: Texas A&M at Galveston, transferred to Texas A&M my junior year
Pursuing B.S. in Biology (will complete after the first year of vet school)

Applied: Texas A&M
Interview offers: Texas A&M
Accepted: Texas A&M
Attending
: Texas A&M

Cum GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.91
Last 45 credit hrs: Not sure. Maybe 3.8-3.9?
GRE: 380 V, 650 Q, 4 W (took this with little preparation...eek!)

Veterinary Experience:
- 110 hours volunteering at a small animal clinic
- 1300 hours working as a Technician Assistant at the same small animal clinic
- 90 hours volunteering at an equine hospital

Animal Experience
- 100 hours of pet ownership
- 30 hours of handling feral cats in my neighborhood for TNR
- 300 hours spent walking dogs in the yard, feeding/giving them water, cleaning cages, trimming nails, etc at the small animal hospital
- 25 hours spent walking horses in the pasture, administering the proper feed, checking for water, assisting in hoof care at the equine hospital

Employment:
- Veterinary Technician Assistant at a 5 doctor small animal hospital
- Receptionist Assistant in an office

Extracurricular Activities:
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society member
- Pre-Vet Society at TAMU
- Pre-Med Society at TAMUG (we didn't have a pre-vet organization)
- Volunteered doing beach clean ups in Galveston and holiday events with the aforementioned clubs
- Bowling league

Awards and Honors:
- Dean's Distinguished Student Award (2010) at TAMUG
- Aggie Scholar (2009-2010, 2010-2011) at TAMUG
- Dean's List
- Academic scholarships
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society

Letters of Recommendation:
- 1 from my personal vet (who is also one of the small animal vets I work with)
- 1 from a small animal vet at the same hospital
- 1 from my English professor in college (even though she was not a science professor, I asked her for a letter because she knew me the best of all my professors)

Personal Statement: There was a specific case I observed that, I felt, illustrated perfectly all the reasons I wish to be a veterinarian, what I hope to achieve in the future, and the kind of vet I want to be. I would recommend just to speak from your heart, and if you've ever had a defining moment where you've realized "This is it, this is why I have to be a veterinarian," just talk about that. Your passion will be obvious!

Grades were on my side throughout the application process, but the GRE definitely wasn't. While I don't have as much experience as some of you guys (y'all are awesome!), I feel like the experience I got was really valuable, so I tried to make that clear in the application. I tried my best to illustrate the spectrum of cases I've been fortunate to see and note the most important factors I've observed of some of the BIG cases (like heart failure, kidney failure, etc).

Good luck to all of you guys applying! Go get 'em!

Seventh time applicant, AB (formerly from BC) resident, 31 year old female

Undergrad:
BSc Biology, minor Psychology 2005
BSc Zoology 2012

Applied: WCVM, UCVM
Interview offers: WCVM
Accepted: WCVM
Attending[/B]: WCVM

Cum GPA:
I think the Canadian system is a bit different, so I will post what I hope is relevant.
First degree: 3.29
Second degree: 3.66
Best year: 3.81

GRE: not required

Veterinary Experience:
I honestly do not have exact figures at the moment.
- Volunteered mixed animal practice once a week for a year
- Volunteered SA
- 100+ zoo
- volunteered SA emergency
- volunteered wildlife rescue (mostly birds)

Animal Experience
- 4-H sheep and swine eight years
- animal keeper at a zoo 2.5 years, plus 3 years on call at another facility
- volunteered at an equestrian center, rode when I was a kid, volunteered at a therapeutic riding association
- lived on a hobby farm - kept everything from chickens/waterfowl/beef cattle/fish/dogs/cats
- worked in a dairy cattle genetics lab

Employment:
- lab technician
- animal keeper
- junior accountant
- group fitness leader

Awards and Honors:
HS honor roll
Entrance scholarship
Jason Lang scholarship

two veterinarians I volunteered/worked with

Personal Statement: I spoke about what I had done since my last application, and what I planned to accomplish between writing that statement and when I would get interviewed.

If you are applying to UCVM or WCVM, feel free to PM me!

Seventh time applicant, AB (formerly from BC) resident, 31 year old female

Undergrad:
BSc Biology, minor Psychology 2005
BSc Zoology 2012

Applied: WCVM, UCVM
Interview offers: WCVM
Accepted: WCVM
Attending[/B]: WCVM

Cum GPA:
I think the Canadian system is a bit different, so I will post what I hope is relevant.
First degree: 3.29
Second degree: 3.66
Best year: 3.81

GRE: not required

Veterinary Experience:
I honestly do not have exact figures at the moment.
- Volunteered mixed animal practice once a week for a year
- Volunteered SA
- 100+ zoo
- volunteered SA emergency
- volunteered wildlife rescue (mostly birds)

Animal Experience
- 4-H sheep and swine eight years
- animal keeper at a zoo 2.5 years, plus 3 years on call at another facility
- volunteered at an equestrian center, rode when I was a kid, volunteered at a therapeutic riding association
- lived on a hobby farm - kept everything from chickens/waterfowl/beef cattle/fish/dogs/cats
- worked in a dairy cattle genetics lab

Employment:
- lab technician
- animal keeper
- junior accountant
- group fitness leader

Awards and Honors:
HS honor roll
Entrance scholarship
Jason Lang scholarship

two veterinarians I volunteered/worked with

Personal Statement: I spoke about what I had done since my last application, and what I planned to accomplish between writing that statement and when I would get interviewed.

If you are applying to UCVM or WCVM, feel free to PM me!

Seven times! Oh my god, congratulations!!! That has got to feel amazing.

:highfive::highfive::highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seven times! Oh my god, congratulations!!! That has got to feel amazing.

:highfive::highfive::highfive:

Thanks! Ya, I think I am one of the crazy ones... But I am sure there are other crazies out there just like me! I still can't believe it though!

Wow Leila! I am so happy for you! You are such an inspiration!!!!

Thanks! Ya, I think I am one of the crazy ones... But I am sure there are other crazies out there just like me! I still can't believe it though!
Crazy dedicated :cool:

Color me impressed!

Seventh time applicant

:eek::eek::eek:
Holy SCHNYKIES that's dedication! I can't even imagine how amazing you feel. What an inspiration. I can honestly say I would have never persevered through 7 apps. :lame: You go girl! :banana::banana:

Wow - Seven times! How exciting! Four was a drain on me (both emotionally and financially) so I can't imagine what you went through!

Congrats! Celebrate! You deserve it :D :D

I'm so proud of you!!!!! :biglove::biglove::biglove: Truly inspirational.

<3

I guess I never thought about the cost over all... Other than getting into a Canadian school. For me it was saying... What's a couple hundred dollars to be able to do what I want for the rest of my life?

But I do hope to inspire, and be around to assist anyone else on this journey!

Congrats, Leila! I am so happy for you!

Thanks!

I was asked last night if I set a record for number of attempts :S

I still believe there is someone out there who tried longer!

Thanks!

I was asked last night if I set a record for number of attempts :S

:thumbup::thumbup: I give you kudos!!! That is sheer determination! This year the prospect of possibly applying for the third time seemed daunting to me.

Congratulations!!! You have earned it!! :soexcited::highfive::soexcited:

:scared:

I can't even imagine 7 attempts, much less 8!

But congrats on getting in! Your story should be an inspiration to us all!:love:

First time applicant, 24 years old at time of application, Female, NS/AB resident (divorced parents, kind of complicated)
BA with honours in Psychology 2009

Applied: AVC (UPEI) & UCVM (University of Calgary)
Interviewed: AVC & UCVM
Accepted: AVC & UCVM
Attending: AVC :love:

Since AVC and UCVM evaluate applicants differently I'm listing my stats separately. All hours were at time of application and for the last 5 years (AVC only looks at what you did the last 5 years).

AVC
Prereq GPA: 85.6% (3.7 ish?)
GRE: 162V (90th percentile), 153Q (65th), 4.5AW (72nd)

Veterinary Experience: 70 hours SA, 50 hours LA, 25 lab animal

Animal Experience: 125 hours SPCA, 80 canine research lab, 40 hours rodent lab, 60 hours dog groomer/doggy daycare

Extracurriculars: 2250 hours psychology RA, 750 hours retail, 600 hours literacy tutoring, 510 hours childcare, 115 hours psych lab volunteer, 70 hours volleyball, 30 hours bio society

UCVM
Prereq GPA: 3.6
Last 2 years GPA: 3.63
References: Honours thesis supervisor, SPCA volunteer coordinator, co-worker

My stats are not spectacular and I know my interviews got me the acceptance letters. Best piece of advice I can give to future applicants is relax during the interviews! Do not put too much pressure on yourself. Think of it as a conversation with a couple of people you just met. If future applicants have questions feel free to PM me :)

Accepted! 1st time applicant!
Hogwarts school of veterinary magic and medicine.

Gpa well my school was all P/F so I got a P!

Gre, well I actually take the Newt and scored 999 on it.

Wand, 47 inch luma apiculata (endangered) with a weretiger hair ball inside.

Animal experience, I once drank unicorn urine, and I was raised by a pack of rogue narwhals. Also I was an assistant for two years at a Dragon colonoscopy center, that is where I lost my left hand (don't ask).

LOL :laugh: Wrong thread but still funny. Like your name too :laugh:

I just have to say that all of you have been an inspiration for me to keep pushing!! Hopefully I will be on one of these boards in a few years (with the hope the Army Reserves lets me finish school w/o anymore interruptions). Would love to hear from of the Davis students (Davis is the dream right now). Happy summer-time to everyone starting this fall!!! :)

So proud to call myself a member of the Class of 2016. Wherever we are, wherever we are attending, whatever we have overcome to get here, and whatever burdens we may carry along with us, this is going to be an amazing ride <3 Love this class already!

Last edited:
So proud to call myself a member of the Class of 2016. Wherever we are, wherever we are attending, whatever we have overcome to get here, and whatever burdens we may carry along with us, this is going to be amazing ride <3 Love this class already!

Like!

So proud to call myself a member of the Class of 2016. Wherever we are, wherever we are attending, whatever we have overcome to get here, and whatever burdens we may carry along with us, this is going to be amazing ride <3 Love this class already!

Definitely like this. :) You said it well Moosh.:thumbup::love:

:thumbup: Triple Like!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: could not like this more :love:

Agreed! :love:

1st time applicant, Florida resident, 21 year old Female

Undergrad: University of Florida, Major Zoology, Minor Chemistry
Applied: UF, UTK, UCDavis, UPenn, UIowa, Murdoch, RVC, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin
Interview offers: Glasgow
Waitlisted: Dublin
Accepted
: Dublin!!!!! :D

Statistics
Cum GPA
: 2.94
Science GPA: 2.99
Last 45 credit hrs: incl. up to Fall 2011...2.93
Old GRE: #1: 380 (145) V, 660 (152) Q
#2: 430 (149) V, 520 (144) Q
#3: 360 (143) V, 520 (144) Q
New GRE: 157V, 156Q

Veterinary Experience
- 2 years volunteering & then eventually working as Assistant Vet Tech at the UF Zoological Medicine department
- 3 months volunteering at the UF ICU & Internal Medicine departments
- 3 months as an Intern/Volunteer in small animal hospital in Cape Town, South Africa
- several months of volunteering at various small hospitals doing those basic beginner stuff like cleaning kennels and observing spays & neuters

Animal Experience
- 2 months Intern at Rondevlei Nature Reserve working in the fields on a Mammal Re-introduction research project in South Africa
- 1.5 years (intermittently) Research Assistant for Horseshoe Crab Behavior Research analyzing sperm competition

Employment:
- ZooMed Assistant Veterinary Technician, UF Small Animal Hospital
- Hostess, BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

- UF Navigators International
- Captain for Intramural Outdoor Soccer
- Dancer for FSA DTJ Competition
- 2 years in Pre-Vet club
- Team Leader, Worship Leader/Dance Coordinator for VBS at church
- from High School: Jr. Varsity Golf, Sophomore Class Treasurer, NHS, Jr Civitans, Beta Club, DECA, Mu Alpha Theta

Awards and Honors:
- haha yeahhh...never made any Dean's List
- Top 3 at UF Photo Contest
- from High School: AP Scholar, Tampa Tribune Scholar

- 2 from the the veterinarian Residents I worked with at ZooMed
- 1 from the veterinarian I worked with in South Africa
- 1 from my Genetics professor

Personal Statement:
i detailed events that led to my eventual passion for veterinary medicine, and described my goals of using vet med to help the world

as you can see, i am deffff not the "typical, average pre-vet" kid when it comes to the numbers. i never wrote anything in the "explanations" because i didn't think my grades were that bad overall, and tbh it was mostly due to bad study habits and partying too much :rolleyes:. i tried to compensate with a good GRE score, but look at how that turned out...lol.

my motto for the whole application process was expect the worst, and hope for the best. i knew being accepted would be a long shot with my statistics, but i just prayed that there'd be a miracle or something. I had plenty of vet students read my Personal Statement and the feedback i get would always be that I would get in if it was just based on my PS. i guess my PS must have been awesome enough for Glasgow to invite me for an interview, and for Dublin to waitlist and eventually accept me!

though i've cried numerous times over all the other rejections, i have to say that in the end everything happens for a reason. Dublin was the one school that I decided on a whim last minute to send my applications, and lo-and-behold, it is the one school that accepted me. i am thankful everyday and still cannot believe that i will actually get to be a vet! so to all you future applicants, if you think you have a ****ty GPA and don't have a chance, just have a little faith that maybe, just maybe, adcoms will see you as more than just a statistic :]

Applied: UF, UTK, UCDavis, UPenn, UIowa, Murdoch, RVC, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin
Accepted

Statistics
Cum GPA

Veterinary Experience
- 2 years volunteering & then eventually working as Assistant Vet Tech at the UF Zoological Medicine department
- 3 months as an Intern/Volunteer in small animal hospital in Cape Town, South Africa
- several months of volunteering at various small hospitals doing those basic beginner stuff like cleaning kennels and observing spays & neuters

Animal Experience
- 2 months Intern at Rondevlei Nature Reserve working in the fields on a Mammal Re-introduction research project in South Africa
- 1.5 years (intermittently) Research Assistant for Horseshoe Crab Behavior Research analyzing sperm competition

Employment:

- from High School: Jr. Varsity Golf, Sophomore Class Treasurer, NHS, Jr Civitans, Beta Club, DECA, Mu Alpha Theta

Awards and Honors:

Personal Statement:
i detailed events that led to my eventual passion for veterinary medicine, and described my goals of using vet med to help the world

as you can see, i am deffff not the "typical, average pre-vet" kid when it comes to the numbers. i never wrote anything in the "explanations" because i didn't think my grades were that bad overall, and tbh it was mostly due to bad study habits and partying too much :rolleyes:. i tried to compensate with a good GRE score, but look at how that turned out...lol.

my motto for the whole application process was expect the worst, and hope for the best. i knew being accepted would be a long shot with my statistics, but i just prayed that there'd be a miracle or something. I had plenty of vet students read my Personal Statement and the feedback i get would always be that I would get in if it was just based on my PS. i guess my PS must have been awesome enough for Glasgow to invite me for an interview, and for Dublin to waitlist and eventually accept me!

though i've cried numerous times over all the other rejections, i have to say that in the end everything happens for a reason. Dublin was the one school that I decided on a whim last minute to send my applications, and lo-and-behold, it is the one school that accepted me. i am thankful everyday and still cannot believe that i will actually get to be a vet! so to all you future applicants, if you think you have a ****ty GPA and don't have a chance, just have a little faith that maybe, just maybe, adcoms will see you as more than just a statistic :]

I'm not applying to the same schools as you but you really give me hope this year as a first time applicant with a lower GPA :xf:

I remember this time last year reading this thread and wanting to have the honor to post here as well! Good luck to those in my position and know it is more than possible to get what you want

California Resident, 22, Female, BS degree from UC Davis in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior, emphasis in reproductive physiology, minored in Equine Science

1st Cycle:

Applied: 12 schools (do not recommend, but I am an anxious person!)- UC Davis, Western, Washington, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Purdue, UMinn, Ohio, UPenn, Illinois, Mississippi
Rejected: UC Davis, Washington, Purdue, UMinn, Ohio, UPenn, Illinois
Interviewed: Kansas, Iowa (off waitlist), Mississippi, Western
Waitlisted: Kansas, Iowa (#79!), Mississippi, Western, OKSU
Accepted!: Kansas (on 4-17)
Attending: Kansas State University! :love: (unless I am called off for Iowa:))

Stats:

Cum. GPA: 3.27
Last 45: 3.46
Science GPA: 2.95(Iowa)-3.1 :oops:
(Ochem was killer for me, and competing against grade curves at a giant public uni)

GRE: (Took one time April 2011) 570 Verbal, 750 Qual, 5 Analytical

Veterinary Experience
Well growing up, my father, mother, and step-father are all veterinarians in various fields from small animal to lab animal to large animal (my dad even worked with Navy dolphins and military police dogs for a few years!). So I knew what I was getting into!
(At time of application)
950 hours small animal private practice- technician training and boarding assistant
70 hours ambulatory equine- mostly shadowed, but also some assisting (I got to assist in cutting a check ligament on a yearling, and I was the designated joint-scrubber for joint injection procedures several times per day)
30 hours equine emergency hospital- watched several (long!) surgeries and recovery of patients as well as an unfortunate necropsy where a poisoning was suspected

Animal Experience:
1000's of hours English horseback riding, barn assistant work, showing, and instructing riding lessons and summer camps
650 hours at a breeding facility as a Management Intern training foals and yearlings, participating in nightly foal watch, and even learning stud collection and rectal ultrasound (one of the few internships that allows rectal ultrasound instruction to non-veterinary students)
100 hours training my own weanling I bought at auction from the above internship in June
150 hours fostering several litters of kittens
50 hours volunteering at an off-the-track Standard-bred rescue

Employment:
Summer camp instructor for several summers
Veterinary technician (in training!) for two summers

Letter of Rec:
1 from my equine professor at Davis
1 from the equine veterinarian I was fortunate enough to ride-along with
1 from a small animal veterinarian I have known since I was like 8

Personal Statement: Talked about growing up around the profession and some of the sacrifices I made with my parents being on call or working the long hours of a veterinarian, though my sacrifices do not compare to those an actual veterinarian must make! I adamantly did not want to be a vet until I came to understand the positives (and they are very unique and rewarding positives) when I was in my freshman year of undergrad. I then talked about being involved in equine repro work and how I wanted to work especially in client education in selecting appropriate horses to breed so the offspring have the best possible chance at performing (the yearling I trained was unfortunately euthanized due to inherited leg confirmation issues). Last, I talked about representing the profession and what it means to wear the white coat and what your skill set means to the client- either helping their family member or their livelihood. And the diversity of the profession- either day to day or in the ability to change fields.

I know my stats are below average to put it lightly. This thread helped me so much in motivation to apply and selecting schools to apply to and really I hope to all you future c/o 2017'ers reading this now that you do decide to apply and give it your best shot. You really never know what is going to happen. Even with a poor gpa, know you do have something special and worthwhile to bring to the profession, just figure out what that is and really shine on your personal statement and experiences. Good luck to you!

Congrats jushorsinaround! And thanks for the advice to us future C/O 2017'ers

Last edited:

Accepted

Statistics
Cum GPA

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Employment:

Awards and Honors:

Personal Statement:

Way to go!!! I also have a pretty low GPA, so it's nice to see that you got in :) I was actually thinking about applying to Dublin, but I thought they had a GPA requirement? Congratulations!!!

Bumping this thread so we current applicants can look over it and stress out in a slightly different way.:laugh:

As far as I can tell, they don't care one iota. I also moved to CO to establish residency and have been here for less than a year (will be over a year when I matriculate) and was accepted as well as granted in state sponsorship no questions asked. If you are 23 or over it is really easy to establish residency in CO. You just have to stay on top of "proving intent to stay." This really means change of address, getting a state drivers license, registering your car in the state, and paying income tax to the state when you get a job. I did not have a paying job yet when I applied, so I couldn't even claim that, but I made sure I had the right dates on all of the other paperwork.

I think it is not a big deal to CSU because a ton of people here in CO are transplants, and as far as I can tell, CO is so awesome that everyone just stays here :love: I know I plan to.

Someone else should chime in if you think I am totally off base.

Hello! How hard was it to establish residency? You make it seem pretty easy, but I'm worried.