Success of MSTP trainees - NIH blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
This data is very encouraging...

dual-degree.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ha.. I was just to about to post this!

Well that may be encouraging but Table 1 is the saddest things I've ever seen.
VariableCategoryMSTP Trainees (N=3,265)Other T32 Trainees (N=29,802)
Year of Matriculation1982/1989/19941983/1990/1994
Years of Follow-up to Award Since Matriculation (including those who never received an award)19/23/3020/25/32

It now takes all trainees (MSTP and T32) a whole extra decade plus to achieve funding compared to prior. That's just awful...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if T32 versus MSTP really tells you much. I think those baseline pools are very different. All sorts of random people get thrown on T32 who really have no interest in doing longterm research. I mean, from an institutional standpoint, its nice to have trainees on the dime of the NIH as opposed to the institution so everyone get thrown on a T32. The people who enter MSTP have different life goals and therefore, would be more successful at research because they keep at it longer due to that being there intention all along.

But they are all getting grants way longer than they used to, if at all...

Reactions: 2 users
Encouraging? I beg to differ
View attachment 346870

#1 rule for NIH success: Be An Old
With the increased delays in receiving NIH funding, would this be indicative of it being beneficial to have alternative paths to funding in mind from the start of one's career? (ie: working directly in industry or within industry-funded pipelines, increased emphasis on DOD funding etc.) Perhaps being aware of and/or geared towards non-traditional funding sources might put today's matriculants at an advantage if they are not walking into this career without the classic model in mind....

FYI to those wondering, an RPG is the following:
Research Project Grants and Cooperative Agreements include the following activity codes:

• R00, R01, R03, R15, R21, R33, R34, R35, R36, R37, R50, R56, R61, RC1, RC2, RC3, RC4, RF1, RL1, RL2, RL9, P01, P42, PM1, PN1, RM1, UA5, UC1, UC2, UC3, UC4, UC7, UF1, UG3, UH2, UH3, UH5, UM1, UM2, U01, U19, U34, DP1, DP2, DP3, DP4, DP5.

It does not include K awards (considered mentored, not independent)

Reactions: 1 user