Substandard GPA, MCAT but high clinical hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crose1023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking way in the future here, btw.

Say my cum GPA is around a 3.3-3.4, and MCAT score ranges from 25-28. Looking to matriculate into MD but also applying DO. If MCAT score is anywhere below 30, I will be retaking to get 30+ (for MD purposes).
Science GPA will also sit around 3.3-3.4, higher for DO because of grade forgiveness.

Will my 2000+ hours of clinical experience give me a bit of a boost when it comes to applications? I'm doing a radiography program, will be ARRT certified by the end of 2 years (still have 4 years of undergrad, already completed 3.. yes, 7 years.. :( ) so this will be full, hands on clinical experience and not just shadowing/volunteering.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

While you do have a lot of experience, that experience is not very unique, so I don't think it will do much to help your low GPA for MD programs. Also, do you plan your potential retake to be this year? Are you applying this cycle?

For MD schools, no. You're going to need to get that GPA >30 to be attractive tot some of the low-tier schools, and maybe your state schools. You cGPA is barely acceptable for MD.

You're fine for DO., and the high clinical hours will be a plus there.

I'm thinking way in the future here, btw.

Say my cum GPA is around a 3.3-3.4, and MCAT score ranges from 25-28. Looking to matriculate into MD but also applying DO. If MCAT score is anywhere below 30, I will be retaking to get 30+ (for MD purposes).
Science GPA will also sit around 3.3-3.4, higher for DO because of grade forgiveness.

Will my 2000+ hours of clinical experience give me a bit of a boost when it comes to applications? I'm doing a radiography program, will be ARRT certified by the end of 2 years (still have 4 years of undergrad, already completed 3.. yes, 7 years.. :( ) so this will be full, hands on clinical experience and not just shadowing/volunteering.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
While you do have a lot of experience, that experience is not very unique, so I don't think it will do much to help your low GPA for MD programs. Also, do you plan your potential retake to be this year? Are you applying this cycle?

What kind of experience would be "unique" then? No, still have a few years of undergrad. Transferring and doing another 4 years after already completing 3.

And Goro, if I were to do an SMP and work for a great grade, would I get more of a boost for MD?

What kind of experience would be "unique" then? No, still have a few years of undergrad. Transferring and doing another 4 years after already completing 3.

And Goro, if I were to do an SMP and work for a great grade, would I get more of a boost for MD?

With a 3.4, <30 MCAT, non-URM? A cure for cancer would make you unique enough.

TBH, if you can bail yourself out on the MCAT, you may still have a chance at MD schools. Being a radtech isnt bad-one of my friends was one and she still managed to get into schools with a subpar GPA, similar to yours. I too had a similar case, but again...you gotta rock the MCAT. Take your time to really master the test, if the mastering is even possible.

If it were me (I dont know your personal circumstances), Id take whatever time necessary to study hard for the MCAT, do well on it (33+, ideally 35 if possible...but its a tough thing to ask), and then apply whatever year you happen to be ready. But if you dont have the patience to wait it out to be prepared, then youll most likely have to apply to DO school with what you have now.

Those of us with low GPAs still have a shot, if everything else checks out. Regardless what you choose, it may serve you well to have strong reflections on the activities that you have partaken--I'm assuming that you have more ECs than being a radtech, yes?

TBH, if you can bail yourself out on the MCAT, you may still have a chance at MD schools. Being a radtech isnt bad-one of my friends was one and she still managed to get into schools with a subpar GPA, similar to yours. I too had a similar case, but again...you gotta rock the MCAT. Take your time to really master the test, if the mastering is even possible.

If it were me (I dont know your personal circumstances), Id take whatever time necessary to study hard for the MCAT, do well on it (33+, ideally 35 if possible...but its a tough thing to ask), and then apply whatever year you happen to be ready. But if you dont have the patience to wait it out to be prepared, then youll most likely have to apply to DO school with what you have now.

Those of us with low GPAs still have a shot, if everything else checks out. Regardless what you choose, it may serve you well to have strong reflections on the activities that you have partaken--I'm assuming that you have more ECs than being a radtech, yes?

Thanks for the real reply. I appreciate it. My GPA from my first university was a 2.7, so the highest I'd be able to get it for an undergrad is a 3.4, granted that I get 4.0s in both my programs the next 4 years (going for a BS in biology after my rad degree). I'm planning on prepping for my MCAT at least 6 months in advance, probably even before that. I want to nail it. I'm hoping for a 30+, but then again, I may be taking the new 2015 MCAT. I'm more than happy with going to a DO school though.

Definitely way more ECs right now than radtech, and I still have some time to beef up the app more.

I guess I'm just being neurotic right now. Just trying to plan for the next 4 years... I'm a planner!

Cool, another incoming radtech ----> pre-med

I think you'll easily find clinical experiences to draw upon when it comes time to do your applications.

If you got a 2.7 cGPA at your first university, I doubt you will get a 4.0 for four years at a different one. Just give you my honest opinion.

Thinking a complete stranger can go from 2.7 to 4.0 is pretty farfetched.

Assuming you're white, with your 3.4/28 you have about a 36% chance of getting in. and that's on the high end. If your GPA is below 3.4, you have about a 24% chance. My original post wasn't harsh. It was truth.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf

I'm not stupid, I didn't put in any effort my freshman year. I've had an extremely strong upward trend but my cum suffered because of a bad first year. I fully believe I can get 4.0s so anyone can think what they want.

And I know my chances for MD are slim. I have researched this. I was only curious as to how my clinical hours look to the adcoms.

I'm not stupid, I didn't put in any effort my freshman year. I've had an extremely strong upward trend but my cum suffered because of a bad first year. I fully believe I can get 4.0s so anyone can think what they want.

And I know my chances for MD are slim. I have researched this. I was only curious as to how my clinical hours look to the adcoms.

Like I said. It's farfetched for anyone to think a stranger can go from a 2.7 to a 4.0. You are not a stranger to yourself. Not sure why you're getting defensive.

I fully believed I could get a 4.0 too (and I have for the last 39 credits) and I had a 1.41 freshman year. Would you have believed me if I said "I got a 1.41 as a freshman, but I'll get a 4.0 from here on out"? Of course not.

Like I said. It's farfetched for anyone to think a stranger can go from a 2.7 to a 4.0. You are not a stranger to yourself. Not sure why you're getting defensive.

I fully believed I could get a 4.0 too (and I have for the last 39 credits) and I had a 1.41 freshman year. Would you have believed me if I said "I got a 1.41 as a freshman, but I'll get a 4.0 from here on out"? Of course not.

Didn't mean for it to sound so defensive. I just misunderstood what you said. Good job on the upward trend. Very respectable.

Didn't want this to turn into an issue about my grades since I am primarily going DO. I wanted to know about my experience.
:)

Didn't mean for it to sound so defensive. I just misunderstood what you said. Good job on the upward trend. Very respectable.

Didn't want this to turn into an issue about my grades since I am primarily going DO. I wanted to know about my experience.
:)

Well, 3.4/28 will be fine for DO.