Subspecialties / fellowships...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anath

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little confused on what happens with certain subspecialties. Take for example Pulmonary/CC (what I'm specifically looking into -- more so for the pulmonary than the CC, but anyway!). Do you do your application through ERAS and apply for the Pulmonary/CC positions? So basically you go into your IM residency with definite knowledge and a guaranteed position regarding where you'll then be doing the Pulmonary/CC portion??

Or do you do IM ... and then come about PGY-2 of IM, you apply for a Pulmonary/CC fellowship?

Got confused when the FRIEDA sites basically said that it participates in ERAS but not NRMP.

Members don't see this ad.

Anath said:
A little confused on what happens with certain subspecialties. Take for example Pulmonary/CC (what I'm specifically looking into -- more so for the pulmonary than the CC, but anyway!). Do you do your application through ERAS and apply for the Pulmonary/CC positions? So basically you go into your IM residency with definite knowledge and a guaranteed position regarding where you'll then be doing the Pulmonary/CC portion??

Or do you do IM ... and then come about PGY-2 of IM, you apply for a Pulmonary/CC fellowship?

Got confused when the FRIEDA sites basically said that it participates in ERAS but not NRMP.

You start interviewing for fellowships during your 2nd year of residency, 3rd if you are going to do a chief year. Some are through the match, many are outside the match.

There are several straight 2 year pulmonary programs. You will not be able to sit for Critical Care boards without doing an additional year of critical care at an accredited program, but you can sit for pulmonary boards.

If all you wanted to do was critical care, you can do a 2 year critical care fellowship without pulmonary and then sit for cc boards.

Hope this helps,
KG

Then what's the deal with Pulm/CC saying they use ERAS but not NRMP -- is ERAS used in general by all fellowships during the fellowship trail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anath said:
Then what's the deal with Pulm/CC saying they use ERAS but not NRMP -- is ERAS used in general by all fellowships during the fellowship trail?

Can't answer that one. I don't represent Pulm/cc and I didn't do a pulm/cc fellowship and I was before ERAS.

The places I interviewed offered me spots without having to go through either. Check out the ACGME website. http://www.acgme.org/

I can tell you one thing, you can't match with a speciality without doing a residency first. Meaning you won't be able to match in pulm/cc right out of med school.

There is one program that is up an running combining ER/IM/CC, but that's the closest thing you'll find to speciality matching out of medschool in Internal Medicine.

kg

Most of the Pulmonary/Critical Care fellowships have switched to using the FELLOWSHIP ERAS service. That's different than the system you apply for residencies through. There are a few scattered exceptions (UCSF, maybe Denver) that still want their own paper apps. So for one fee you can apply to a number of programs. From there it is pretty similar, you go to interview, make a rank list and wait for match day (end of June).

There are very few pure pulmonary fellowships in the country because it limits your options right from the start. Most people sit for both boards then tailor their practice to their situation and preferences. But for example most private practices will prefer triple boarded individuals (pulm, cc, sleep) while in academia you may be more readily focus on just your research area.

If you KNOW you want to do a pulm/cc fellowship start from day one of the internship to flesh out your app with research, abstracts, etc. and figure out who you're going to ask to write your letters. The year passes quickly and in the second year be sure to front-load your letter writing electives. If you want to take a year off, do a chief year, make some money, etc. you'll apply in the 3rd year.