Stupid question - do med schools offer scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David_Allen_VA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools offer scholarships for very well qualified students, or is medical education pure loans?

Members don't see this ad.

No, of course not. Med schools give scholarships(some give a full ride I believe). But a lot of the money they give is need based, although I know they do give merit scholarships as well. Most people get some scholarships or whatnot, but their parents arent loaded so they have to take out loans.

Originally posted by David_Allen_VA
Do medical schools offer scholarships for very well qualified students, or is medical education pure loans?

Merit scholarships exist, but usually there are way more scholarships that target specific groups (ie.. URMs, in-state residents, attracting out-of-staters to an in-state school). Schools generally will post lists of the scholarships available on their financial aid sites.

I have also heard, though a current med student would be a much better source for this, that you can be awarded a merit scholarship based on good performance during med school. Hopefully a med student can clarify this point, however, because I could be misinformed on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
my state school Indiana University offers merit scholarships to around 20-24 of their top in-state applicants. around half of those are full tuition scholarships.

some of the "top" schools i interviewed at offer merit scholarships, typically to the 3.8/36 with impressive ECs kinda students.

the moral of the story with med school merit scholarships (perhaps different for URM, i would not know) is that you need to have some high numbers to go with a complete application.

there are different scholarships like for primary care and the military that are rather substantial--like full tuition plus stipend--but they do require matching years of service.

grant money does not quite flow as it does in undergrad admissions/scholarships. schools will not meet need like many top undergrad schools. there are some schools who are known for giving out a lot of grant money, but state med schools do not for the most part, nor do private schools dish it out like undergrad. my undergrad would meet need according to the FAFSA, which resulted in a 25K discount for me, but none of the med schools i visited were quite so generous.

I recall Pitt saying that they gave a handfull of free rides based on merit.