Stupid question time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I love dogs27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received a A- for my intro bio course last semester. This semester I am on track to get a B or B+ for this semester. Since I’m still in my freshman year bio and chem classes will I be ok? I need to improve my study strategy so if anyone has advice that would be appreciated! Also to tell me to stop being neurotic lol

Members don't see this ad.

Stop being neurotic. :)

One B or B+ in your freshman year will not kill your chances for medical school.

Regarding study advice, does your school have a study skills center? could the pre-med advisor direct you to assistance?

Reactions: 1 users
If you have a class where you have to remember things- use Anki (google it). Do your cards everyday, you'll magically get 100s.

If you have a problem-solving class (chem 2, physics, calculus), do TONS of practice problems. Hundreds.

Go to office hours and tutoring regardless.

Also, when you get to organic chemistry- it's hard because it's a problem solving class like calculus, but you have to also memorize a hundred reactions or so. I drew them out on a whiteboard until I knew them cold

Members don't see this ad :)
Your grades are not the end of the world; many (including me!) got in with significantly more B's, B-s, and sometimes worse!

Reactions: 1 user
I have received a A- for my intro bio course last semester. This semester I am on track to get a B or B+ for this semester. Since I’m still in my freshman year bio and chem classes will I be ok? I need to improve my study strategy so if anyone has advice that would be appreciated! Also to tell me to stop being neurotic lol
How have you been studying now?

Here's my set of first-pass questions to anyone who needs to adjust to studying in uni:

Do you attend the lectures? Sit in the front of the room? (The folks in the back generally aren't following lectures... I know from when I would observe my professor peers from the back. And you know it too.)

Are you the smartest person in your study group? If so, find a study group where you aren't.

Do you go to supplemental instruction/recitation sections and seek guided help through problems in chem, bio, math?

Have you set aside enough time to study without distractions (turn off the notifications, turn off the ringer completely)? For every 3 hour lecture course, you should spend at least 3 hours of self-study (or 1.5 self plus 1.5 hours group). Look up Pomodoro method/technique.

Practice problems, practice problems, practice problems. I don't know how you studied for algebra or geometry back in high school, but the successful kids did homework problems outside of class and asked for help from the teacher if they got stuck or got an answer that didn't agree with the answer key (in the back of the book).

Stop doomscrolling or reading reddit posts.

Reactions: 4 users