Studying for the BCPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garou

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any residents that are planning to take the BCPS this October.

How do you study for it ? I will be done with my residency in July but I didn't have time to study (look at the prep book) at all and won't probably have time to study for it until beginning July.

Is 3 mo enough for studying for the BCPS ?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on taking it in 2010 even though I finished my residency in 2008. I was too busy during residency and this summer I'm getting married so I didn't feel like I would have the focus I needed to take it this October either.

I'm sure it can be done in 3 months, but any reason not to wait?

I am also a current resident tossing around the idea of taking BCPS this Oct.... My biggest thing is that I don't want to waste the money to take it if I am not going to have enough time to prepare for it. I think the deadline is in Aug, so I might just wait to sign up until the deadline is a little closer to see where I am.

I was wondering if there is any residents that are planning to take the BCPS this October.

How do you study for it ? I will be done with my residency in July but I didn't have time to study (look at the prep book) at all and won't probably have time to study for it until beginning July.

Is 3 mo enough for studying for the BCPS ?

I think that 3 months is probably more than enough time to study for the BCPS, as long as you make studying a priority.

Also, make sure that you study smart, so start with those areas you feel weakest in and study the therapeutic topics that were covered extensively (your specialty) last. There are about 20-24 chapters in the prep book (volume 1 and 2), so if you cover two chapters a week you will be fine.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to take BCPS Oct. I finished residency 3 years ago though but didn't have time since. Did you get the new study material. I have the one from 2007, and I'm just planning to get the 2009 audio lectures to supplement. Is that enough? What do you guys think?