Studying for Step 1 using Adderall--how do you feel about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tfom08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of quite a few people I know using adderall to study, especially for boards because of the long hours of concentration required. What does everyone out there think about it? On the one hand, we are going to be doctors so giving yourself an edge so you can learn more efficiently is in some way a path to help others. I have read of surgeons using adderall during surgeries that require particularly intense concentration. It is hard to fault someone for that when the goal is to help another person. On the other hand, Step 1 is also somewhat of a competition between medical students with the top scorers being more likely to land a competitive residency. In that way, Adderall use is more like a performance enhancing drug in a sport like cycling or baseball. I would probably be a little upset if a classmate I knew was using adderall scored higher than I did, what do you think? Of course, this is not pertaining to those people who have been prescribed medication for ADHD. Also, I've never used adderall, so I can't compare effectiveness of studying with adderall to studying without adderall. Are there any experiments out there that show a significant difference?

Members don't see this ad.

So you are arguing that the majority of medical students who obtain Adderall through legal or illegal means actually would qualify for a honest diagnosis of ADHD? If you know any psychiatrists, I would advise you to discuss this topic with them.

Keep in mind that "my arm hurts" is not reason enough to prescribe morphine. "Can't stay up to party" is not reason enough to prescribe amphetamines. "Can't win a 5-round decision" against Anderson Silva isn't reason enough to provide testosterone or HGH.

I don't know about your contacts, but the people I know did a bit of story telling during their visit to the doctor.

Your analogies suck and your moral crusade is futile.

I don't think I'm twisting anything. ADHD is a very subjective diagnosis. A lot of people go undiagnosed as children. If they're having problems concentrating and it's to a point that they can't overcome it, how is that lying to the doctor? They're using it to concentrate and study, not to stay up all night and party to deadmau5 in the clubs.

Wingshorn is on the wrong side of this issue but there's an obvious difference between a student who opts for adderall as a "tool to prolong" their studying and someone who needs it to be productive/functional.

Again, I'd like to point out that when I tried to use it in that way, it didn't work. Does anyone know why? Is there a good reason adderall wouldn't give you a significant boost in focus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, I'd like to point out that when I tried to use it in that way, it didn't work. Does anyone know why? Is there a good reason adderall wouldn't give you a significant boost in focus?

:) just like I said earlier, the people who judge are people who have never done it.

It doesn't do much for regular people, so it's hilarious when people think someone on adderall doesn't need it and is abusing it.

One of the main things "College Kids" (note I said college kids and not med students) used it for was simply to pull all nighters....at the expense of being jittery and less focused ahaha...

Yeah, that wouldnt help in med school. Studying is more of a chronic condition than a last minute one, and you need to sleep.

Either you took too little, too much, or - as we like to say in the industry - took some bunk.

:) just like I said earlier, the people who judge are people who have never done it.

It doesn't do much for regular people, so it's hilarious when people think someone on adderall doesn't need it and is abusing it.

One of the main things "College Kids" (note I said college kids and not med students) used it for was simply to pull all nighters....at the expense of being jittery and less focused ahaha...

Yeah, that wouldnt help in med school. Studying is more of a chronic condition than a last minute one, and you need to sleep.

Totally agree with your first sentence, but disagree on the second part. A good friend of mine used it during board prep. You dont take it to pull all nighters, you take it in the morning and study 12hrs+ every day. Makes it more fun and efficient. He scored a 260+ and just stopped using afterwards.

But yeah, who cares about being judged and whatever, no one will know anyways.

Totally agree with your first sentence, but disagree on the second part. A good friend of mine used it during board prep. You dont take it to pull all nighters, you take it in the morning and study 12hrs+ every day. Makes it more fun and efficient. He scored a 260+ and just stopped using afterwards.

But yeah, who cares about being judged and whatever, no one will know anyways.

Haha, yeah that works for some people. Well good for him. I'd rather he enjoyed his time doing it then be miserable.

And then I'm dehydrated - because I don't drink enough water. No one has heard of it not doing much?? Locrian...are you sure it doesn't do anything for people who don't need it?

I didn't literally mean "not do anything", just obviously wont do as much for you as someone who needs it. What I'm saying is it wont make you a super hero haha, it brings people up the the same level you basically are, and there is not much further to go after that.

Super super concentrate all you want, it you wont like the guy from the movie "limitless" although that movie is in my opinion basically about adderall :p or atleast some peoples perception of it.

Drink water. Don't take vitamin C or eat acidic foods/lemon juice, or drink orange juice.

Super super concentrate all you want, it you wont like the guy from the movie "limitless" although that movie is in my opinion basically about adderall :p or atleast some peoples perception of it.

Drink water. Don't take vitamin C or eat acidic foods/lemon juice, or drink orange juice.

I thought of the exact thing when i saw that movie lol.
And this guy knows what hes talking about ^

I got it from the pharmacy. And I took varied amounts all 3 times. It's having a small effect...but it's definitely not some kind of wow. It's just a feeling of glee and mild increase in focus. Ever so mild. And lasts maybe all of 3 hours. And then I'm dehydrated - because I don't drink enough water. No one has heard of it not doing much?? Locrian...are you sure it doesn't do anything for people who don't need it?

It should have an effect on you. But I guess it doesn't work on everyone the same way. Maybe you are a fast metabolizer (one of those P450 things..). Hard to say without knowing how big you are and your dose.

I wish that it'd be tested for in medical school and everyone with a + would get an asterisk next to their Dr.

haha. asterisk...hm.

I didn't literally mean "not do anything", just obviously wont do as much for you as someone who needs it. What I'm saying is it wont make you a super hero haha, it brings people up the the same level you basically are, and there is not much further to go after that.

So you suspect it might be the acidity from the 6 cups of coffee I drink daily?